This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Depression and Such

Comments

• If you don't want to wait in line at the grocery store, ordered the groceries online. If you don't want to wait in that commute, take the train.
    This... is not actually true for a vast majority of people in America. Most places do not have trains to take or inexpensive grocery delivery services. Even the bus systems are often terrible in cities and don't exist in smaller places. Maybe your teacher needs some perspective.

• She needs a lot of things, but I'd argue that that is not evidence for that. Location is a circumstance. I understand that moving is difficult and takes up resources, but it's not impossible. It's a matter of weighing costs. Considering alternatives. Do you want to put up with the bullshit of moving to be able to not wait in the grocery store or traffic, or do you want to stay where you are and put up with it. Like I said, most of the time water is better, but you ought to at least think about air.
  • "This too shall pass" is great advice... from the future. It's survivor bias. "This too shall pass" is 100% true for everyone for whom every previous "this" in their life did indeed pass. And if "this" does not pass, then one didn't really survive.

So it's worth believing 100% of the time, because there no way to move forward unless "this" does pass.

Doesn't mean it will pass without help, but it does mean that for everyone who has ever said or believed that phrase, it's been 100% true (for them).
  • The video isn't supposed to be literal. It's supposed to make you think about how we can fail to notice or take for granted something that is literally all around us. Air isn't a good example either because we are not only aware of it, but fighting to keep it clean to reduce respiratory illness. A better example would be things we take for granted every day, like the lives of the people we pass but don't know. We think about them less than we think about air, despite the fact that they are around us all the time directing and shaping our own experiences. Except that's not an example but rather the actual meaning of the metaphor.

Moving isn't just putting up with bullshit. It takes a certain amount of money and financial ability. You have to find a new place to live that will approve you (for rent or mortgage). Assuming you have a job, you have to be able to afford to leave your job to do the moving, which means having a new one lined up elsewhere and paying for both moving expenses and living expenses while waiting for that first paycheck to come in. If you don't have a job, then you are likely tied to the location where you are receiving unemployment or government assistance. If you have kids, all of this is even harder. Moving away from a shitty place is not as easy as you think for people with no real network outside their home. You pretty much have to have money or someone who lives elsewhere and is willing to take you in for awhile.

If you are on this forum, you are not in that situation. You have contacts all over the world via the internet. Many of them are generous and enthusiastic about helping people out. You have several options where many have only two: keep doing what they are doing or give up.
  • I wasn't being literal with air. I was saying it to contrast with water. If mundane annoying crap you go through every day is water, then the mundane annoying crap someone else goes through every day is air. I probably should have been more clear about that.

I do understand the financial deal with moving (I learned that crap by living with an economist in 2008), and I get how employment can be difficult, which is why I didn't say one should move, just that they could.

I guess I just don't understand how people don't have a global network of friends. Even before I started making friends on the internet, I at least had a national network. If I woke up anywhere in the lower 48 or Hawaii with no memory of how I got there and nothing but my clothes and phone, I would still be alright because I'd know someone within a few hours drive from wherever I was. How do people not have these networks?
  • edited May 2013
    Think about the things that enable you to have those connections. Now imagine someone without those things. (Time and money are usually big. Computers, freely available internet, car ownership and related costs, personal space, phone, social group and group members mobility, physical energy and ability, language, common interests. &c.)

I think family and church has been a default network for Americans in theory, but sometimes it doesn't work that way and those without a network are invisible amongst a sea of faces. How does one enter a group and acquire and maintain the trust and acceptance of the group?

While I know a boatload of people, the number who would help out long-term, much less answer the phone, barring a natural disaster (pure perceived victimhood plus broader audience), is a much smaller percentage.

As to moving, ugh. When you're a barnacle, it's hard to take the rock with you unless the stream helps. Hate moving.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • This conversation got me thinking that we should have a FRC couch-sharing system for people who may need a couch or bed for a few days or weeks....
  • Hell, I'd give some of you guys a couch if you happened to roll through NC.
  • This conversation got me thinking that we should have a FRC couch-sharing system for people who may need a couch or bed for a few days or weeks....
    Or could all sign up for couchsurfing, give each other references, and make a group (; regardless, I like that idea. Phil & I are already on couchsurfing.
    I think we do, it's just not formal. If you said you were coming through New York, we sort of assume you'd stay with us or Scott or someone. ;^)
  • edited May 2013
    We'd only need a formal system if forumites traveled more frequently or there were more of us. That said, a map of "this is where we live, come hang out" would be pretty cool.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Everyone is always welcome to visit me. I have a spare room. Sometimes it functions as a ball pit.
  • Could have a "Going to be in X area, looking for couch" thread...
  • I'm talking run out side of the FRC core I mean everyone on the forum:-p
  • During the summer my Mom is deffo not okay with people crashing. But during the year I can probably put people up in my apartment.
  • edited May 2013
    I pretty much set up my apartment as a small hostel because my entire friend group (even my meatspace crew) is so mobile. There's a huge couch in the living room and a walk-in closet with a giant beanbag that serves as a "guest room."

If you met me at PAXE or talk to me on internet regularly, hit me up whenever you pass through Chicago. I'm a block off the subway, and two away from one of the best comic shops in the city and a Michelin-starred restaurant with $10 lunches (these two things are next door to each other).

Let's do cool shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • While we're at it, I'm no longer feeling bad. I'm even feeling way too good. Not having shit hanging over my head to do is fantastic.
  • I feel you, man. It's a little weird.

Personal Anecdote: I just graduated and moved to the city. Yesterday, I had a good-looking job offer just kind of vanish, so now I'm in the position of job hunting in the city for the first time. I remember a time where this sort of setback would trigger a few panic attacks and 14hrs of depressive pseudo-sleep. Instead, I immediately went to a local coffeehouse and started applying for more jobs. I also made a bunch of friends at the comic book shop (one of whom is a tattoo artist I plan to get a tattoo from) and wrote 120 bars of rap.

I feel almost manic from all career stuff I'm getting done and all of the stuff I'm trying to create, but it occurs to me that maybe I'm just finally self-motivating like a normal person. Regardless, productivity feels so good.

I recently heard someone on Twitter say he "lost 2003-2007 to situational depression," and I can't agree more with that turn of phrase. You really do just lose huge quantities of time to the disease.
  • Admittedly one of the worst periods in my life was just after college with no money, no family, and no job. It made it harder and harder to interview well. I eventually won out, got a job, and have been progressively improving ever since, with a few small down-turns here and there.

Just keep that attitude up and eventually things should get pretty awesome.
  • Not that anyone comes out my way but there is a bed for anyone coming thorugh Wales/Glouster.
  • I basically lost the last year to situational depression. I'm still getting over it.
  • If I bothered to count up how much time I've lost to depression, I'd probably get depressed again.
  • I just don't know how much time I've lost to depression, and how much time I've lost to reasonable reactions to the bullshit that is (my) life. I'm not bothering to separate the two right now. I'm not in danger, and the net result either way is lost time, which is a real problem. I'll just focus on that.
  • edited May 2013
    This conversation got me thinking that we should have a FRC couch-sharing system for people who may need a couch or bed for a few days or weeks....
    Or could all sign up for couchsurfing, give each other references, and make a group (; regardless, I like that idea. Phil & I are already on couchsurfing.
    My couch is yalls couch. Not the first time a forumite slept at my place.

So I got fired again and thus depressed again yesterday, but somehow bounced back quickly and able to look for a job and do panel stuff for this weekend. I guess that's a huge step.

The doctor/therapy/medicine combo has led me to better understand myself as well. Still, I falter and wanna hurt myself, but I haven't yet.
    Post edited by Viga on
    My couch is yalls couch. Not the first time a forumite slept at my place.

So I got fired again and thus depressed again yesterday, but somehow bounced back quickly and able to look for a job and do panel stuff for this weekend. I guess that's a huge step.

The doctor/therapy/medicine combo has led me to better understand myself as well. Still, I falter and wanna hurt myself, but I haven't yet.
    Hang in there, Viga! We all still love you!

• On my journey of forum vagrancy, I happened upon a guy that was threatening to kill someone else. A couple weeks later this person has claimed to have killed this person. I have no idea where in the world this happened and no idea if they're just full of shit or fantasizing a situation. He was supposedly seeing a psychiatrist.
  • When I was depressed, art was the only thing that could make me feel anything. At the same time, I couldn't create anything, because I despised all my output.

Now, I am not depressed, and there isn't enough time in the day or money in my wallet to create all the things banging around my head. Cool feeling.
  • I did nanowrimo three times, now I don't care about how much I hate my output. I attribute whateveral artistic success I've found so far to that habit.
  • edited May 2013
    I did nanowrimo three times, now I don't care about how much I hate my output. I attribute whateveral artistic success I've found so far to that habit.
    That's an important skill. I have known too many people that aspire to big things with their art but never actually managed to finish anything.

One of my favorite quotes:
    [G]etting it done is not to be sniffed at. You can only buy a record if it has made it through the grinder and actually been manufactured. The best record ever is one of those in the store over there. The record being slaved-over by genius-boy over there, the one that will never be finished because it isn’t yet perfect - that record is nothing at all. An unfinished record is nothing. Pure bullshit. Spend years wooing some unattainable goddess, rending garments and crying pools of teardrop? So you can die a victim, ignored? A martyr to your stubbornness?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So I guess this is a thing that I have/had.