This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Osama Bin Laden is dead

edited May 2011 in News
Keep all your Bin Laden discussion in here so I don't have to keep bouncing between 5 different threads. ^_^

NBC News stream

Comments

• Quoteth me from the boo-yah thread:

One man is dead. What still lives is the hatred in the hearts of the scores of people on both sides who can't let go.
  • Very disgusting seeing some of the comments about dragging his body through New York ...
  • Interesting ethical question: Is it ethical to celebrate the death of an enemy?
  • Interesting ethical question: Is it ethical to celebrate the death of an enemy?
    South Park will probably answer that very question this week.
    How much are you celebrating?
  • He was an irrelevant old man. Has been effectively dead for years as far as being any actual threat. They gave him credit for a lot more terrorism than he was actually personally responsible for because they needed some person to represent the enemy in the war on terror. The organization he supposedly lead, named Al Qaeda, may not have even existed. Even if it did, it was never nearly as organized or structured as people believe.

Even so, this meaningless event will create all sorts of talking points for the joke that is politics. For people who watch US news, this will appear to be the biggest deal in the universe, bigger even than the royal wedding. The actual effect on the world if the news media wasn't moronic? Next to nothing.
  • edited May 2011
    The people that are called terrorists celebrate the death of the people they attack. Would we be doing the same if we do celebrate his death? I look at it from that stand point.

Stream is up Obama is speaking at any second.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • ITT: Scott shows why he shouldn't talk about politics.
  • ITT: Scott shows why he shouldn't talk about politics.
  • So now what?
  • edited May 2011
    So now what?
    Continue trying to stabilize Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Nothing. No change. Business as usual.
  • edited May 2011
    So now what?
    It'll probably effect the elections, which will cause legal changes, which will affect your everyday life. It will be a massive moral boost to the troops in Afghanistan, and could have a big impact on the war there. People on the right will be uneasy; their most hated politician just ordered, authorized, and oversaw the successful execution of the death of the man they profess to hate the most. There will be many effects.

Osama's death is not the important thing. The ripple effect is.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm proud of not engaging in political discussion. The level of discourse that counts as political discussion is so moronic, I would be ashamed to have any part of it, as you all should be.

Also, all you people telling me assassination is a bad idea. Hey, look, assassination.
  • The middle east is going to be ummm... Wait, Can the Middle east be more unstable?
  • He was an irrelevant old man. Has been effectively dead for years as far as being any actual threat. They gave him credit for a lot more terrorism than he was actually personally responsible for because they needed some person to represent the enemy in the war on terror. The organization he supposedly lead, named Al Qaeda, may not have even existed. Even if it did, it was never nearly as organized or structured as people believe.

Even so, this meaningless event will create all sorts of talking points for the joke that is politics. For people who watch US news, this will appear to be the biggest deal in the universe, bigger even than the royal wedding. The actual effect on the world if the news media wasn't moronic? Next to nothing.
    Shut your mouth you commie bastard!
  • edited May 2011
    I'm proud of not engaging in political discussion. The level of discourse that counts as political discussion is so moronic, I would be ashamed to have any part of it, as you all should be.

Also, all you people telling me assassination is a bad idea. Hey, look, assassination.
    One thing, you have no idea if it was an assassination, most likely there was an assault on his compound and he was killed in the attack I'm sure they would have loved to drag him to trial...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Also, all you people telling me assassination is a bad idea. Hey, look, assassination.
    Assassination happens a lot. It's assassination of world leaders that's a huge no-no.
  • I'm proud of not engaging in political discussion. The level of discourse that counts as political discussion is so moronic, I would be ashamed to have any part of it, as you all should be.

One thing, you have no idea if it was an assassination, most likely there was an assualt on his compound and he was killed in the attack I'm sure they would have loved to drag him to trail...
    This is very likely the case and the people he was with fought to the death. It would be a huge boost for the Afghan government to show that they can bring trouble makers to justice. Right now they look powerless to many people unable to get anything done.
  • Also, all you people telling me assassination is a bad idea. Hey, look, assassination.
    As is often the case, you miss the point. Previous remarks have been made about refraining from assassinating the leaders of sovereign nations. Bin Laden was not one.
  • They gave him credit for a lot more terrorism than he was actually personally responsible for because they needed some person to represent the enemy in the war on terror.
    [Citation Needed]
    The organization he supposedly lead, named Al Qaeda, may not have even existed. Even if it did, it was never nearly as organized or structured as people believe.
    [Citation Needed]

Man, Scott. You are in the wrong line of work, you should be a Middle Eastern analyst for the State Department, you expert you...
  • After hearing the news on the way home, this is the first thing I saw when I logged onto Facebook tonight.

I love my family.
  • "Finally, last week I determined we had enough intelligence to take action and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice,"
    As it happens, he will be brought to justice inside a couple of Hefty bags.

I'm curious if he was actually killed by the American operatives, or if he was killed by his own body guards to prevent his capture.
  • edited May 2011

I'm curious if he was actually killed by the American operatives, or if he was killed by his own body guards to prevent his capture.
    The timing of the lets get serious comment couldn't have been better.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My coworker was texted about this at work, I thought it was a prank. Well, I was wrong.
  • People are also joking that Obama interrupted Trump's reality show for the announcement.

Perfect timing Obama.

• Slavery... fuck yeah!

Sportsmanship.............

Books..........................................................
  • and for all those lefty liberals saying things like "10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, we managed to kill one person" remember; you can't spell Pyrrhic victory with out VICTORY.