This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Most Depressing Thing You Can Say

Comments

• Just to clarify: I understand why this is so, but that doesn't stop it from being depressing.
  • If you've ever had to put a pet to sleep and you weren't in the room when it happened, they died hoping in vain to see you again. This is the source of one of the biggest regrets of my life.
    I just realized that my past two cats were both put to sleep without me being there. I grew up with the first one always with me; he was a big orange tabby named MacCavity. I sat with him when he was sick. He'd sit on my lap when I was a little kid and let me pet him.

I feel like crying, now.
  • If you've ever had to put a pet to sleep and you weren't in the room when it happened, they died hoping in vain to see you again. This is the source of one of the biggest regrets of my life.
    I grew up with two cats, got both of them when I was a toddler and both lived long lives until I was in college. The first one managed to stay alive just one day long enough for me to be there when she passed. But the second one came much later when I was back at school. The second time left me much more empty.
  • I would wager that for an overwhelming majority of the human race, a pet dying, vainly hoping to see you again, will resonate emotionally far more than the possible extinction of the human race, including you and everyone you love.
  • I would wager that for an overwhelming majority of the human race, a pet dying, vainly hoping to see you again, will resonate emotionally far more than the possible extinction of the human race, including you and everyone you love.
    That's something we've got to fix. How about next time you think about the extinction of the human race, think one by one about all the pets dying, vainly hoping to see their owners again?
  • Fuck this thread. Fuck it so much.
  • I have an iTunes playlist called "Makes Luke Cry."
  • edited May 2011
    I have an iTunes playlist called "Makes Luke Cry."
    I'm not sure if that depressing, I mean that might actually be cute to some women :-p

I guess the depressing thing for me is that so many people I talk to or know and care about struggle to find purpose and enjoy each day.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Thread needs more sad girls in snow.
  • We all live in an era where our impossible excesses will annihilate the planet. Our names will dissolve into dust and we will all be forgotten, and our only achievement will be the creation of a black ball of corpses hurtling through space, reminding other races of what happens when one's appetites exceed one's resources.
    We are the future anti spiral?
  • You get two from me, because I'm that special.
    Every time I try to do something that makes me happy to move on from my break-up, it either doesn't work or is only a temporary distraction. The second I don't have anything to do I get depressed about everything. I can't move on, I keep relapsing. I make some steps towards being okay with it, then I relapse and fall back into how depressed I felt at the beginning. Nothing makes me happy like Jen did. Nothing comes even close to filling that void in my life. And she apparently cared about me so little that she could have a new boyfriend not two weeks after she broke up with me. I valued her more than anything, which was problematic, but she just dated and broke up with me on a whim and moved on to someone else. I'm just a footnote in the life of the person who means the most to me.
  • I have an iTunes playlist called "Makes Luke Cry."
    I'm not sure if that depressing, I mean that might actually be cute to some women :-p
    It worked last week. Strangely enough, the one song I picked from the playlist to demonstrate what weird songs I've listened to and cried to over the past few years was Blue Sunny Day by Jonathan Coulton. Who knew that would contribute to sex that night?
  • The Truth is fucking destructive and terrifying.
  • You'll all die and be forgotten.
    I find this to be comforting. Not in a mean way, but just in an "And so it goes," Vonnegut kind of way.
  • I've chosen carbon monoxide as my preferred method. If I do it.
    OK...that's just morbid. Fuck this thread and fuck you Joe for making it. >_<</p>
    I could never really settle on one, but my visions were usually more theatrical than that (hanging in odd places, jumping off of things). The more I think about it the less ironic it seems that I would be afraid of attention in life and an attention whore in my untimely death.

This song makes me cry. I think it's because I had mommy/daddy issues.

This thread makes me feel better.
  • I know that I'm being extraordinarily egotistical here, but I'm really fucking smart. I wouldn't have been able to go to Columbia if I wasn't, after all. However, I'm totally unmotivated to do any of the awesome things I see people doing around me, and I prefer to just read, watch anime, and play video games. Also, I have incredibly bad self-control when it comes to getting work done, leading me to fail at things I should be able to do with ease just due to giving myself insufficient time to do them. Despite my intelligence and problem-solving skills, because of procrastination and lack of motivation, I'm never going to amount to anything at all.
  • I know that I'm being extraordinarily egotistical here, but I'm really fucking smart. I wouldn't have been able to go to Columbia if I wasn't, after all. However, I'm totally unmotivated to do any of the awesome things I see people doing around me, and I prefer to just read, watch anime, and play video games. Also, I have incredibly bad self-control when it comes to getting work done, leading me to fail at things I should be able to do with ease just due to giving myself insufficient time to do them. Despite my intelligence and problem-solving skills, because of procrastination and lack of motivation, I'm never going to amount to anything at all.
    I have the same opinion of myself and the same problem. I'm 90% sure the reason for that is I am terrified of any scenario which might damage that self image. Procrastination stems from fear of failure and embarrassment and the self reinforcing belief that what I am putting off is easy, unimportant, stupid, beneath me or pointless.
  • I have the same opinion of myself and the same problem. I'm 90% sure the reason for that is I am terrified of any scenario which might damage that self image. Procrastination stems from fear of failure and embarrassment and the self reinforcing belief that what I am putting off is easy, unimportant, stupid, beneath me or pointless.
    Maybe we should form a club.
    I'm like this, only not as smart.
  • I'm never going to amount to anything and any success that I achieve will be fleeting and quickly forgotten.
  • The only thing that matters in life is luck.
  • The only thing that matters in life is luck.
    Unless the universe is deterministic, in which case there is no such thing as luck or even free will, so no choice you make actually matters because you were going to choose that anyway.
  • Geeknights is going to die off at some point.
  • This forum will die off someday.
  • Linkigi, Devil, Grey, and Bronz - I think we're quintuplets separated at birth.
  • I've decided to play the optimist in this thread.
    This forum will die off someday.
    Nah, more and more people will keep joining and, eventually, when rym and scott die, someone else will pay to keep it going.
    Geeknights is going to die off at some point.
    That's what they said about FNPL. ^_~
  • edited May 2011
    Geeknights is going to die off at some point.
    Have you listened to the latest episode? It's deader than Disco.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Linkigi, Devil, Grey, and Bronz - I think we're quintuplets separated at birth.
    Only if this universe isn't just a figment of my imagination, and you're all faceless constructs I created that I could project my own internal issues onto.

Our senses cannot be trusted; there's no way to prove that everything we see is an illusion created by our own consciousness, and there is no way to disprove solipsism.
  • If I'm an illusion created by your consciousness, can you imagine me up a sandwich? Or a pony to ride? Fuck, son. Give me RAINBOW WINGS.
  • Geeknights is going to die off at some point.
    Have you listened to the latest episode? It's deader than Disco.
    Honestly, I haven't listened to a Geeknights episode in maybe a month. Rarely do the people on the forum talk about the actual topic that Scrym discussed in the episode threads.