This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Most Depressing Thing You Can Say

Comments

• Only those that die young die without blood on their hands.
  • edited May 2011
    Only those that die young die without blood on their hands.
    That's not depressing. There's a lot of reasons one gets blood on their hands.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Linkigi, Devil, Grey, and Bronz - I think we're quintuplets separated at birth.
    Only if this universe isn't just a figment of my imagination, and you're all faceless constructs I created that I could project my own internal issues onto.

Our senses cannot be trusted; there's no way to prove that everything we see is an illusion created by our own consciousness, and there is no way to disprove solipsism.
    Or it could be the fact that there is a known issue called Quarter Life crisis, I felt the same way as you guys recently until I did some research on this (still am actually) to find ways to get out of this funk and look forward to the avenues that will open up. My theory goes if it has to do something that most people have to deal with and some people have overcome this, then so can I with the right preparation.

As for the depression line I have a bad feeling I am going to be stuck bouncing from company to company doing the same thing without any significant pay raise and be forced to live check to check for most of my life, trying to break this but this economic arena is making it hard.
  • Or it could be the fact that there is a known issue called Quarter Life crisis
    Oh. Oh god. I just looked that up on wikipedia.

THIS IS MY LIFE.
  • You'll all die and be forgotten.
    That implies that at some point, you've been remembered.

You are so small and insignificant that if you died tomorrow, the universe wouldn't give a shit.

Somewhere, right now, a puppy died.
  • You know all those movies and shows you humorously go "Oh, what Movie? there was no Star Wars Prequels/new Star Trek/Indiana jones and the crystal skull/etc etc"?

Despite the jokes, They actually happened. And not only did they actually happen, they're absolute canon. That means Vader being a whiny bitch? Canon. Winning Podraces? Canon. JarJar Binks? FUCKING CANON. Indy in the fridge? CANON. Crystal skull aliens and Shia NONONONONONONONO le beouf? Canon. Vulcan being destroyed and both the Spocks? Canon.

That's right. All those things you hate in those movies? As far as they are concerned, all those things happened, they are that reality, and no matter how much you hate it, you can't change it, and that is the case, too bad, so sad.
  • Or it could be the fact that there is a known issue called Quarter Life crisis
    Oh. Oh god. I just looked that up on wikipedia.

THIS IS MY LIFE.
    Surprisingly there has been a surge of non BS self help books on the subject, of course the most popular one is a tad bullshit but checking on amazon there is legit people trying to get the message out that you are not alone and gives tips on how to get past it.
  • Is it sad/depressing that I liked the new Star Trek movie?
  • Is it sad/depressing that I liked the new Star Trek movie?
    The new Star Trek was enjoyable, it was just closer in spirit to Star Wars than Star Trek.
  • edited May 2011
    That's right. All those things you hate in those movies? As far as they are concerned, all those things happened, they are that reality, and no matter how much you hate it, you can't change it, and that is the case, too bad, so sad.
    Churba wins. I'm not even suicidal anymore. I just want to curl up in a dark, damp corner and try as hard as I can to stop existing.
    Is it sad/depressing that I liked the new Star Trek movie?
    Not at all. That was a solid flick.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2011
    The new Star Trek was enjoyable, it was just closer in spirit to Star Wars than Star Trek.
    Not at all. That was a solid flick.
    Alright, I can feel not-insecure about my enjoyment. Score!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Not at all. That was a solid flick.
    True that - but I gotta cover the people who hate it because it's not original trek/TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise.
  • Already mentioned here, but bears repeating - Someone can literally call Newton's Principa(And specifically, Newtonian Mechanics) a "Rape Manual", and still be considered an academic and scholar.
  • To be fair, Churba, from the little info I can find in a quick Google, this looks to be a case of academic trolling to raise attention to her point. Trolling is never to be encouraged, but I would hardly say that it's worth kicking someone out of the community for. I know nothing of her (Sandra Harding, apparently) other work, so it is possible that it's all worthless, and I don't care enough to find out, but my first impression was someone purposely being controversial here, knowing exactly what they were doing.

You would be surprised how often people troll like this in academia, especially once they start to get heated up over something, although yours is an extreme example. Even in the hard sciences you'll get this. Look at some of the debates between string theory and loop quantum gravity proponents for a current example.
  • edited May 2011
    To be fair, Churba, from the little info I can find in a quick Google, this looks to be a case of academic trolling to raise attention to her point. Trolling is never to be encouraged, but I would hardly say that it's worth kicking someone out of the community for. I know nothing of her (Sandra Harding, apparently) other work, so it is possible that it's all worthless, and I don't care enough to find out, but my first impression was someone purposely being controversial here, knowing exactly what they were doing.
    It appears you're correct, Which does ease my mind somewhat. I still don't agree with it, but it does ease the mind. Thank you for the extra information - I'm glad to know that despite that I frown on what she did somewhat, she's not another Andrea Dworkin, who was genuinely crazy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The only thing that matters in life is luck.
    Unless the universe is deterministic, in which case there is no such thing as luck or even free will, so no choice you make actually matters because you were going to choose that anyway.
    I wouldn't say that. Contra-causal free will, which is a nonsensical concept anyway, is not required for meaningful choices.
  • I already gave a general one, but here's my personal:

I completely blew my best chance at doing the thing I love, what I wanted to do since 7th grade, and I don't see myself ever making another chance unless I can somehow change who I am; I haven't had a relationship or even any intimacy in over 6 years because I hate myself so much I don't want to inflict that on another person; any friend I make I lose contact with immediately after I leave whatever circumstance brought us together (work, school, etc.). I've gone on anti-depressants before, but all they do is get me up to neutral, and I never get back the motivation I had before this all started my second semester of junior year. After I go off the meds (generally because something make it inconvenient, and I can't make myself care enough to get them another way), within months I'm right back to where I was before.

I look to the future, and I see decades of loneliness and unhappiness; a gray corridor stretching out endlessly in front of me.
  • edited May 2011
    I think this thread needs some comfort.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • It appears you're correct, Which does ease my mind somewhat. I still don't agree with it, but it does ease the mind. Thank you for the extra information - I'm glad to know that despite that I frown on what she did somewhat, she's not another Andrea Dworkin, who was genuinely crazy.
    I'm glad to know I eased your mind a bit, but to flow with the spirit of the thread, I'll depress you again with an anecdote I got off the old, now defunct Galactic Interactions blog of Rob Knop:
    In one of my first couple of years as a physics professor at Vanderbilt, fellow astronomer David Weintraub introduced me to another faculty member we ran into at lunch. He was from one of the humanities departments— I forget which. When David introduced me as somebody who worked on measuring the expansion rate of the Universe, this other fellow's immediate response was that the only reason we astronomers believed in the Big Bang theory was because of our Judeo-Christian cultural bias that there was a moment of beginning.

I was quite taken aback. I tried to talk about the Cosmic Microwave Background, light element ratios, and so forth, but he waved them all off. I mentioned that his assertion wasn't even historically correct: earlier in the 20th century, the steady-state model (the Universe has always been as it is now) was if anything the dominant cosmological model. His response to hearing the postcard description of the Steady State Universe: "I like that one better." Scientific evidence be damned....
    Now, this is an internet anecdote, so who knows how true to life this is, but I honestly don't know how I would react in this situation.
  • edited May 2011
    Now, this is an internet anecdote, so who knows how true to life this is, but I honestly don't know how I would react in this situation.
    It's pretty much my same reaction to the Phrase "Homeopathic Doctor" - laughter, followed by great sadness.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Not only do videos of 'nose maggots' exist on youtube, but at least one person on this forum will lack the good sense not to go looking.
  • Not only do videos of 'nose maggots' exist on youtube, but at least one person on this forum will lack the good sense not to go looking.
    Yeap, that exists.
  • This is the best of all possible worlds.
  • edited May 2011
    My dad will never be interested or ask questions about my comics, despite it being my passion and what I want to do with my life. Anytime I bring it up, his eyes glaze over and he just checks out. Meanwhile, my 80+ year old grandparents think it's amazing and check it out whenever I post.

Why don't you accept my passion, Dad?
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • edited May 2011
    it's hard to be a dad.

Post edited by Walker on
  • But, it's not like he doesn't understand comics. He's got closets full of long boxes. And it's not like he doesn't understand the internet, as he spends most of his time on forums and dicking around. He's even into a few webcomics! So I don't understand this disconnect, and it's mildly upsetting.
  • I think with parents, there exists a strong desire to see your children surpass you in every way. If your children do better than you, you were successful as a parent even if you weren't successful in life. While he might understand or even share your interests, he more deeply wants to see you achieve lots of great things and be better than he is, because it creates success for him. Partially selfish on his part, but completely and entirely understandable.
  • I think with parents, there exists a strong desire to see your children surpass you in every way. If your children do better than you, you were successful as a parent even if you weren't successful in life. While he might understand or even share your interests, he more deeply wants to see you achieve lots of great things and be better than he is, because it creates success for him. Partially selfish on his part, but completely and entirely understandable.
    I'm pretty sure my parents just want to see me turn into a responsible human being. Too bad for them.
    I'm pretty sure my parents just want to see me turn into a responsible human being. Too bad for them.
    Opps.
  • An alarming number of my students have had children.