This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Irrational Fears

Comments

• I have this strange urge, that when I'm standing above water, that I want to throw something in. Something expensive, like my iPhone, or irreplaceable, like my wallet. As I work on ships, this happens quite a lot, though I have the same urge when on a bridge over a river.

It's not a phobia, except I'm afraid I'll one day give in to the urge.
  • I have this strange urge, that when I'm standing above water, that I want to throw something in. Something expensive, like my iPhone, or irreplaceable, like my wallet. As I work on ships, this happens quite a lot, though I have the same urge when on a bridge over a river.

I also think about this sometimes.
  • I fear dreams where strings resonate, and are just about to break but they never break :O
  • edited May 2011
    I dare you Trypophobia types to watch this entire video.
    I have this strange urge, that when I'm standing above water, that I want to throw something in. Something expensive, like my iPhone, or irreplaceable, like my wallet. As I work on ships, this happens quite a lot, though I have the same urge when on a bridge over a river.

I also think about this sometimes.
    For me this applies to pretty much every terrible idea you can think of. Whenever something could be easily stolen I have the strong urge to grab it and run, I get the urge to throw and punch things randomly, whenever I'm on something tall I want to jump off of it, I want to try and climb every building I see, I always want to drive like a maniac, I often want to get up to do something for my boss and keep walking until I hit the coast, and whenever something uncomfortable comes up I want to run with it until everyone leaves the room. The scary part is that it's fun as hell when I give in to all of the urges at once.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I don't seem to have any phobia that I am aware of.
    You definitely have some irrational fear of being touched by someone female or male that is not your significant other (though I've never seen you with one, so I'm not sure how that works).
  • I'm pretty good at rationalizing things so most of my fears have rational reasons behind it...

I no longer have a irrational fear of needles, but I'm still adverse to them and I always think about that little big of air that could be in the needle :-p (but I no longer beat up doctors)

I really really hate cold calling people which is definitely a disadvantage when working on Politics (though I do enjoy going door to door once I get the hang of it).

I used to be afraid of talking in front of people but I got over that fast through college.

Ummm, I have a rational fear of losing friends (to death) that has been with me ever since my best friend died in High School.
    (People say I have a irrational fear of losing friends (as friends) but really I just have a irrational caring for fellow human beings)
  • really I just have a irrational caring for fellow human beings
    And this irrational need to find something good in everyone.

It's both admirable and impossibly frustrating.
  • I also sometimes think about going onto the train tracks or pushing slow people down stairs, into the street, or onto the train tracks. So far, haven't done any. Don't foresee it actually happening.
  • I don't really have fear of anything that I can't see as being directly harmful. I have plenty of rational ones though.
  • I have a fear of handling raw meat. I'm super meticulous about washing my hands when I touch it.
  • I have a fear of handling raw meat. I'm super meticulous about washing my hands when I touch it.
    That's not really an irrational fear. It's like Jess's "I don't walk home alone late at night;" that's a rational and practical safety measure to employ.

Now, if your fear of touching raw meat significantly impaired your ability to enjoy life, that'd be a different story.
  • That's not really an irrational fear.
    It's also not a phobia. If you cowered in the corner and physically couldn't bring yourself to touch a raw steak, then that would be a fear. Washing your hands after doing so is just normal.
  • 2:07.07

*cries*
  • I remember when WTFTIT first showed up on the internet I was really terrified of it and then became terrified of shapes like that, but I have a habit of obsessing over a fear and over exposing myself to it to the point that I become jaded.

I'm fine with still images, however animated gifs showing the seeded move around or that frog still make me uncomfortable.
  • edited May 2011
    I dare you Trypophobia types to watch this entire video.
    11/10. Three thumbs up. Would watch again. My favorite part was the lizard or frog or whatever the fuck it was firing its babies out of its back. Biology is fucking awesome!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That's not really an irrational fear. It's like Jess's "I don't walk home alone late at night;" that's a rational and practical safety measure to employ.

Now, if your fear of touching raw meat significantly impaired your ability to enjoy life, that'd be a different story.
    I think I'm more freaked out about it than most people. But I don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of meat.
  • I think I'm more freaked out about it than most people. But I don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of meat.
    See, now, I think that's a good healthy fear. I'm a fan of healthy fear. I have a healthy fear of spiders and other insects that are about as large as my palm. Tarantula hawk? Fuck that noise.

But that's a practical fear, because FUCK YOU GIANT FLYING MONSTER is a great survival mechanic.

"Fearful respect" is another good way to phrase it. I have a fearful respect of, say, bone saws used for butchering. Still have all my fingers.
  • 11/10. Three thumbs up. Would watch again. My favorite part was the lizard or frog or whatever the fuck it was firing its babies out of its back. Biology is fucking awesome!
    Frog Artillery, sounds like a Zerg Monster.
  • I dare you Trypophobia types to watch this entire video.
    11/10. Three thumbs up. Would watch again. My favorite part was the lizard or frog or whatever the fuck it was firing its babies out of its back. Biology is fucking awesome!
  • Okay, I just heard the voice of Big Macintosh saying "Eeeyup".

Perhaps this break until the next season is a good thing.
  • Apparently I don't have trypohobia. I don't seem to have any phobia that I am aware of.
    Pretty sure I remember you saying something about medical procedures on the show once... Hey Scott, go look up images of eye surgery and tell us what happens
  • edited May 2011
    Alright, so, in that trypophobia video. What was up with the holes on the fingertips? I am assuming that's a photoshop/paint/some other form of image trickery, because that doesn't look like something that can (or should) be happening to the human body.

And yet I ask, because one time I ended up looking through skin conditions on Wikipedia. There is a greater variety of terrible out there than I was ever aware of before.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Apparently I don't have trypohobia. I don't seem to have any phobia that I am aware of.
    Pretty sure I remember you saying something about medical procedures on the show once... Hey Scott, go look up images of eye surgery and tell us what happens
    Oh, guess I do have one.
  • edited May 2011
    I fear water where I can't see the bottom. I fear any space so tight that it constricts easy breathing or I can't move my arms (that one scene with the pipe in Tank Girl messed me up). I fear accidentally swallowing glass.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I fear water where I can't see the bottom.
    I fear no water. I blame growing up with a pool.
  • edited May 2011
    I can't think of any significant irrational fears of my own, though I'm sure I have some. When I was a child my biggest fears were snakes and black holes, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I fear water where I can't see the bottom.
    Oh, damn, I do have this one. Even though I love the water and the ocean, if I can't feel or see the bottom I get really nervous.
  • edited May 2011
    I fear water where I can't see the bottom.
    I fear no water. I blame growing up with a pool.
    Did your pool have water moccasins in it? Or leeches?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2011
    I fear any space so tight that it constricts easy breathing or I can't move my arms
    I'm not sure if I fear tight spaces or constriction per se, but I do not react well to being in a tightly enclosed space or bound up in such a way that I can't move my arms.

Mosh pits and concert crowds are a noted exception, but there, I can fight for space.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on