This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Irrational Fears

Comments

• I can't watch any mutilation of the hands. Whether it's a cut or an object falling and smashing the hand, I get scared and I can feel it. My hands get this weird feeling in them, when I imagine or see it in movies. I have to wok with my hands for art. If I lost them, I have to die.
    I have this problem too, but not just with hands. Watching a conscious person get hurt is difficult for me because I empathize with it to a detrimental extent. I almost passed out during the bathtub scene in Stigmata and had to lay down on the floor until my body got its shit together and I could leave the room. I can't even watch the trailers for Final Destination movies. I think this is one of the reasons I avoid horror movies.

Dead bodies, blood, and unconscious people being cut (surgery) don't seem to bother me much at all, so I've decided it's the empathy and not the graphic blood & gore that I have a problem with.
  • I am afraid of early onset Alzheimer's.
    Or really anything that leads to loss of mental capacity. Thus, rabies and brain diseases are the biggest fear.
    I'm the most terrified of brain disease where all of your mental capacity is there, but you're a prisoner in your own body. I've had epilepsy. Early onset Parkinson's terrifies me.
  • I am afraid of early onset Alzheimer's.
    I am too, but for me it isn't an irrational fear- my family has a history of Alzheimer's.
  • I have an irrational fear of colossal squid. Fuckin' sea monsters.
  • I tend to have a fear of bees/wasps/yellow jackets. Any of those stingy bastards. It's odd, it was really heavy when I was a child, and it sort of cooled down as I grew up from stepping on a bee once, and killing a wasp with my thumb.

However, yesterday, I saw the biggest damn wasp yesterday. It was at least 2 inches in length. I was so bizarred by it, and it was just bashing into a light like a regular insect. I'm cautious/skittish around them, but...seeing one that size now concerns me.
  • I tend to have a fear of bees/wasps/yellow jackets. Any of those stingy bastards. It's odd, it was really heavy when I was a child, and it sort of cooled down as I grew up from stepping on a bee once, and killing a wasp with my thumb.

However, yesterday, I saw the biggest damn wasp yesterday. It was at least 2 inches in length. I was so bizarred by it, and it was just bashing into a light like a regular insect. I'm cautious/skittish around them, but...seeing one that size now concerns me.
    I am also freaked out by wasps having been stung by several as a child.
  • You don't know wasps. Google "Tarantula Hawk."
  • I am also freaked out by wasps having been stung by several as a child.
    Wasps are fuckheads. They sit there on your skin and sting you OVER AND OVER AGAIN. They do not lose their stingers when they sting like bees do (because that's how they kill things to feed their babies, rather than just a defense mechanism). Fuck standing right the fuck there. I kill the fuckers.
  • Mannequins...or anything human-like and doesn't move.
  • Fuck standing right the fuck there. I kill the fuckers.
    To quote Magneto from the season 1 finale of the 90's X-Men cartoon: "The brave are always the first to die."
  • edited May 2011
    Fuck standing right the fuck there. I kill the fuckers.
    Unless they're the wasps that release a cloud of alarm pheromones when one is killed, summoning a swarm of angry wasps to fuck your shit right the fuck up. I forget which wasps do this, but they exist and are very unfriendly.

EDIT: Hornets. Hornets can summon the entire nest to attack you if you so much look at them wrong. Also, as an added bonus, some perfumes resemble the alarm pheromones, so when you think you're just wearing a lightly floral spring perfume and walk near a hidden hornets nest, you find yourself on the business end of hundreds of pissed-off yellow jackets.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I have yet to be killed by a wasp. Anecdotal evidence therefore dictates that my approach works. :P

Of course, I don't fuck with them in the wild - I only mess with them when they have invaded MY space. Inside my house or in my car, a wasp or hornet is unlikely to be able to summon their buddies. Outside, as long as they don't bother me, I don't bother them and we get along fine. If they fuck with me or mine though, I go after them with a vengeful fury. I just do it smart-like; fire is the great equalizer.

I grew up in a rural area where bugs are pretty typical. Plus I used to camp and play in the woods and creeks a whole lot. It can be pretty funny when your boyfriend who is 2x yours size is more afraid of spiders than you.
  • Stand still? My can of high-pressure Raid for hornets begs to differ, bitches. I'm an apocalyptic event for wasps near my home.
  • Tarantula Hawk
    damn.... I'm not going outside for a while...
  • Tarantula Hawk
    damn.... I'm not going outside for a while...
    We don't have them here. They live where the Tarantulas live. Y'know, cuz they eat them.
  • Watching a conscious person get hurt is difficult for me because I empathize with it to a detrimental extent.
    This, so much! Rym doesn't get why I don't like ultra-violence movies, and it is because of this.
  • Watching a conscious person get hurt is difficult for me because I empathize with it to a detrimental extent.
    This, so much! Rym doesn't get why I don't like ultra-violence movies, and it is because of this.
    Not even MMA/Boxing/Martial Arts?
    Outside of sports events, I'm with you on this. Oh our empathy center; some are better at suppressing it than others.
  • I think the Trypophobia thing would make a good Halloween costume if you could get it right; As would any dermatological disease.
  • I'm paranoid that, while ice skating, a fall and an ill-timed skate will slice one of my testicles in half.
  • I have that same fear except for my hands.
  • I have that same fear except for my hands.
    Actually I'm super paranoid about amputation in general, if its possible to be more paranoid about it than anyone else.
  • I think that's a normal fear, and only the really irrational people are happy to lose a limb.
  • edited May 2011
    Amputee fetishists are one of the few people who I'm sketchy about when it comes to being pro-liberal and letting people enjoy what they want provided it doesn't hurt others.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Amputee fetishists are one of the few people who I'm sketchy about when it comes to being pro-liberal and letting people enjoy what they want provided it doesn't hurt others.
    I assume you mean people who like to cut off limbs and not people attracted to a one legged person who naturally came by it...
  • Yes, specifically the act of removing limbs for aesthetic purposes. I am all for people overcoming social stigma and finding happiness with someone who's disabled for reasons beyond their control.
  • As a guess, that's the difference between amputee fetishists and amputation fetishists. Maybe.
  • edited May 2011
    While you could make that distinction, I'm not sure they would.
    Also, Amputation fetish would imply the actual act is what they are drawn to, which takes things into guro territory.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • As far as irrational fears go, I have three that I can think of off the top of my head. Most of the things mentioned so far do not really affect me.

1) I also have a stupid fear of calling people on the phone. This includes friends and family. I've gotten a lot better at it over the years, but I still have to push myself every time. Given the choice, I always text instead.

2) This is really kind of two things, but I think they are related. Basically, I have a strange aversion to having anything foreign on my skin or in my mouth. With my skin it can be anything. I will immediately try to remove anything (with the exception of water) that sticks to my skin if I see or feel it. Food is the only thing that I can stand for a while, but once I'm finished eating I will wash that shit off. Obviously there are times when I have to suck it up and accept it, like sunscreen. But things like moisturizer or chapstick, I will do everything to avoid. When it comes to things in my mouth, it is very similar, though I think most people are that way. I don't know anyone who likes hair in their mouth. But the number one worst thing that creeps me out the most is anything that is meant to stick to other things, e.g. tape, stickers, glue, etc. Imagining those things on my skin or in my mouth makes me gag.

3) This is one that I've had more recently, and it's not terribly out there, but I know it's something that will likely never happen. Over the last couple years I've had pretty severe neck pain at random times, and there are times when it hurts so badly that I'm utterly afraid that I will go to sleep and wake up paralyzed. Seeing as how I live alone, I definitely worry that in such a case, I will simply die that way.
  • I used to have a crippling fear of needles. When I was a child I could be brought to tears just knowing that I had to get a shot at the doctors office, and when I got there I usually had to be held still in order to get a normal shot in the arm. I've gotten much better about it thanks to learning how to run an IV, working in a lab where I have to give injections, and growing up. Now, I only get freaked out when they need to go into a vein. There is always this small fear in the back of my head that something is going to wrong and I am going to bleed out, even though I am right next to a doctor. Hopefully I can work that out by donating blood more often.

This may not count as an irrational fear, but knee injuries scare the hell out of me. Thanks to doing judo, I'm used to having things bent in the wrong direction, but leg submissions are on a different level for me. If someone arm bars you, usually the elbow just dislocates, with some possible ligament tears and fractures with it. Very unpleasant, but not the end of the world. On the other hand, if someone heel hooks you, they are basically giving a big fuck you to your knee and everything below it. Your ankle will break, your ACL and LDL will tear, and the meniscus of your knee will rip. Depending on the direction, you can also take out the PCL and MCL. Oh, and as a little bonus: if you crank it hard enough you can break the shinbone. It's also very hard for me to watch leg injuries happen. Seeing an arm bend the wrong way does not bother me that much, but seeing a badly broken ankle or knee grosses me right the hell out.