This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• Well, that's fair enough. The only non-combat lot I know are in different services(mostly navy), of a different army, so it's obviously not going to be the same.

That said, not really big on lobster or crab myself. Ironically, that's the sorta thing I'd probably turn down for some hamhocks and grits, whatever the fuck grits are.
  • Food rules may have changed since the early 90's when I was in the army.
  • "Heavy ethnic flavor"? Sounds like you just need to nut the fuck up and eat. I hate picky eaters.
  • edited January 2013
    Food rules may have changed since the early 90's when I was in the army.
    Oh I was pissed there for a minute. Also I'm in the navy so I should look up if this has always been a thing.

What was your MOS?
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • I was a 45G but ended up doing a lot of other jobs in the maint shop when work slowed.
  • Cool I'm an ET trained in the WSN-7, and square 4 systems.
  • edited January 2013
    Collared greens are "ethnic"?

Also, define non-ethnic food.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited January 2013
    "Heavy ethnic flavor"? Sounds like you just need to nut the fuck up and eat. I hate picky eaters.
    This.
    Collared greens are "ethnic"?

Also, define non-ethnic food.
    Soylent Green is treated with Ethnocleanse™ by DuPont for your wholesome politically-correct enjoyment. As God Intended!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited January 2013
    I'm also curious which foods do not have an ethnicity.

I remember having quite the culture shock when I first started working as a cook. The first time I made the staff meal at the restaurant I currently work at, I made mashed potatoes for a starch. I was the only non-Mexican working in the kitchen. Everyone looked at it like "What... IS this?". Most of them had literally never seen mashed potatoes before, and while a few had, it was this weird novelty thing to them.

To them, boiled potatoes mashed in a pot with milk, butter, and salt was 'heavily ethnic' American food. I think the moral is that nothing is all that 'normal' or 'neutral'.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • edited January 2013
    Plain water. Possibly also plain white rice since it seems to be pretty common across a good chunk of the world (at least Europe, Asia, and the Americas), though I'm not sure how common it is in Africa or Australia as it's not native to those continents and I'm not sure if it became common after being imported.

The thing is, a lot of foods are "ethnic" only to the extent that their original locations are geographically based. Some foods have spread pretty far and wide, but others are pretty limited.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    Plain water.
    Having lived in India, I disagree.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Try Florida.
  • Water is one of the top 5 reasons to live in NY.
  • Water is one of the top 5 reasons to live in NY.
    1. Water

2. There is something awesome to go to or do at any hour of any day if you want to do something awesome.

3. Jobs

4. 24/7 mass transit

5. A limitless sea of amazing restaurants.

Really, the only seriously bad things about New York are the pee smells, hobos, and expense.
  • I'm also curious which foods do not have an ethnicity.
    Plain water.
    Having lived in India, I disagree.

They drink plain water there. It's just that only native Indians have a chance at drinking it without getting sick. :P

You're not the only one who's been to India...
  • Spaghetti is Italian.
    Corned beef is Irish.
    Bratwurst is German.

The list goes on... I probably could have used a better term than ethnic but I figured all of you would be smart enough to understand the point I was making without going on another pedantic crusade.
  • You should never have expected that Steve.
  • Spaghetti is Italian.
    Corned beef is Irish.
    Bratwurst is German.

The list goes on... I probably could have used a better term than ethnic but I figured all of you would be smart enough to understand the point I was making without going on another pedantic crusade.
    Calling any food "ethnic" just feels very antiquated. It's not a term I use or hear with any regularity.
  • Ethnic, regional, whatever. Point is that it can suck when one culture (?) Of food is over represented in an army chow hall.
  • Did you not offer to cook?
  • Consider this; The cooks your talking about know how to make "southern" cuisine. It's probably what they know best. Do you really want them to try making anything else? I've heard some horror stories about what happens when army cooks "experiment".

• Spaghetti is Italian.
    Corned beef is Irish.
    Bratwurst is German.

Calling any food "ethnic" just feels very antiquated. It's not a term I use or hear with any regularity.
    Maybe that's a New York thing, given how NYC is such a melting pot of people from all over the place. I still hear "ethnic" cuisine fairly regularly where I am.
  • Did you not offer to cook?
    Back then I could not cook, now I can.

I would expect the cooks in the chow hall to know how to cook a variety of foods. It falls apart when all of the cooks are only good cooks with one style of food. Five cooks with different specialties is great. Five cooks who only know one type? Not so much.
  • I'm also curious which foods do not have an ethnicity.
    Most preparations of barley are pretty universal. Porridge is pretty widespread.

• edited January 2013
    Did you not offer to cook?
    There are regulations, sometimes very strict, as to who can cook in the millitary (at least the navy).
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • So, you were angry at the cooks for cooking the food they knew best.

What happened when you asked them to change up the menu? You did ask them, didn't you? (Because if you didn't do anything, you have absolutely no right to complain.) Did they say, "Well, we aren't very good at cooking other foods, so we're going to cook the food we know won't make people sick"? That's an acceptable answer. If they said, "Fuck you Steve, we're going to waterboard you with grits!" then you may have reason to complain.
  • It's not pedantic, Steve. Your complaint was formed in a very, "WAAAAAAH THEY AREN'T CATERING TO THE WHITE MAN" kind of way.
  • Also, reset the school shooting clock. Another one in Atlanta.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    Disturbingly, three of the recent shootings were perpetrated by elderly white men, two of whom exhibited obvious paranoia.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/31/16792307-phoenix-office-shooting-suspect-found-dead

http://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-hostage-standoff-alleged-kidnapper-stayed-bunker-days/story?id=18365069

http://duluth.patch.com/articles/driveway-shooting-suspect-freed-on-bond

One of them shot and killed a young man who briefly and mistakenly pulled into his driveway (and never left his car) believing it to be a "home invasion."

The hostage guy had menaced his neighbors in the past with guns, and had allegedly murdered a neighborhood dog.

All we really need to do to start is implement:

1. National registration and licensing of all firearms.
    2. Mandatory background and mental health checks for ALL gun sales.
    3. License renewal with psychological re-evaluation every X years.

We really need item three for drivers' licenses as well.

The Atlanta one was a middle school student trying to murder another middle school student in a middle school...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • 2. Mandatory background and mental health checks for ALL gun sales.
    Out of curiosity, how would you achieve this? Doctor's visit?
    3. License renewal with psychological re-evaluation every X years.
    A suggestion of how many years would suffice?