This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• There is also a pre-pre pax meal that I think involves this place on the penny arcade forums. I believe Wednesday? But I don't get in till Thursday.
  • I'm not enough of a seafood fan to enjoy the pig roast, I think.
  • edited January 2012
    I put the foodsignal up on twitter in the event that we can't get ten out of the FRC alone.
    I'm not enough of a seafood fan to enjoy the pig roast, I think.
    Pork is not seafood. I, for one, plan to ignore the clams entirely until the pig is brought out.
    Post edited by Yuyuke on
  • I like this idea, but my plane is at 9. I doubt I could go.
  • I'll be there. Just bought the plane tix.
  • I love the thought of a pig roast, but I think it's too expensive for me.
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah don't hold your schedules or anything, everyone. If we do wind up trying to move forward on the idea, it wouldn't be for several weeks yet. Right now we're trying to settle our Sunday plans.

I foolishly only got the hotel for Thurs-Fri-Sat nights, thinking my wife would want to hightail it back home, but she actually wants to turn it into a real vacation. Rather than switching hotels on Sunday or going home early, we might wind up going into New Hampshire and checking out Funspot and some other local sights, which would kill any chance of big Sunday meal.

We're going to talk to the hotel when we get there and try to get on a list in case anyone cancels their Sunday reservation, but that sort of plan means we can't commit to a big meal that requires a set head-count two weeks out.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I've only got Thurs - Fri - Sat at the Westin. Not gonna make it to dinner on Wednesday or Sunday.

However, we might have room for one more person in the room. Right now it's about $40/night per person, dropping with more people.
  • Future mental notes for those who attend PAX, reserve your hotel Thursday-Sunday even if you don't think you're going to need it. If you don't need it, you can always adjust it before PAX.
  • Personally I'll be fine with leaving Sunday afternoon and getting back home. I'm gonna use the vacation day for more time on the honeymoon (whee) but next year I will probably grab a more significant chunk of time for PAX East.
  • I decided some time ago to never leave a PAX on Sunday again. We did it once at East, and it caused nothing but trouble. We ended up lugging our luggage to the Omegathon finale, had to check out when everyone else was checking out (elevator hell), and had to rush from the venue straight to the bus with no time for dinner.
  • I decided some time ago to never leave a PAX on Sunday again. We did it once at East, and it caused nothing but trouble. We ended up lugging our luggage to the Omegathon finale, had to check out when everyone else was checking out (elevator hell), and had to rush from the venue straight to the bus with no time for dinner.
    FRC private jet is needed.
    Even at PAX Prime I take the following Monday and Tuesday off, but I do check out of the hotel since I'm close by. I know that there is tons of hanging out afterwards to be done.

• Nuri and I have to leave on Sunday, as she has class on Monday.
  • Foolish person is me! I got a room on hold at the Renaissance for Sunday night, which is like 2 blocks over, so I'm glad I realized my mistake early enough that it won't force my plans in any one direction, but it will be a pain to have to take an hour out of my Sunday to move crap over to a new room.
  • I really don't think I could ever handle being packed into a room with five other people. I'm splitting a room with a friend for Thur-Sun and flying out Monday.

I was also planning to go to Gencon this year, but apparently the hotels are extremely expensive. I was planning to make that my "cheap" con since I wouldn't have to fly. But I've been there before, and I really can't be motivated to spend that kind of money just to completely ignore the con and play a bunch of one-shots in the nearby hotels.
  • edited February 2012
    living in providence, i can take the commuter rail in *whenever* ... (:

(also read: one of the few benefits of said residence)
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • living in providence, i can take the commuter rail in *whenever* ... (:

Providence is a weird area. Love the food there, though.

Whenever, barring the whims of the MBTA schedule, of course.

Providence is a weird area. Love the food there, though.
    agreed
  • Providence is a weird area. Love the food there, though.
    agreed
    agreed.

Also, I'd be up for delicious pig.

• edited February 2012
    Water Fire is pretty cool.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • OH MANS SO MANY MEMORIES. (My mom used to go to, and then teach at, RISD)
  • Water Fire is pretty cool.
    Oh yes it is. We spent a lovely evening at it later summer this past year.
  • I really liked water fire. It was novel to me, I was having a good time with friends, and I like night festivals in general.
  • Does anyone know the rules for bringing miniatures games and whatnot to P.E.?
  • edited February 2012
    I don't think there are any. Bring your things. Hopefully Tabletop will try to have miniature gaming more open for con-goers to easily see.

A lot of the terrain tables are normally claimed by vendors having open demos of the game, but I'm pretty sure there are some available for free play.

Miniatures seems to be the red headed step child of PAX. While they accept them, they kind of get put anywhere that's leftover. It's lame because the Paint Your Own Miniature table was very cool at PAX Prime, and it was in some corner that many people couldn't easily access or pass by it.

However, I don't see this as a problem with East because of how Tabletop was in the huge hangar and miniatures had one section of it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2012
    Welp, another call for Enforcers went up today on the PA frontpage. This is going to be interesting. And by interesting I mean "ohgodalltheenforcersaregoingtobecrushedbythemasses."
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • No, just means more Black shifts and asks for volunteers to pull doubles.

The masses and overall PAX crowd culture respect the Blue/Red [E]. Best of luck. What sort of sections are you hoping to work in?
  • I'm thinking board gaming or one of the arcade rooms. Or possibly that band room, if they have it again this year.

Do you have any better suggestions?