This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Popular Science

Comments

• Inertia dear boy.
  • Slinky Time
  • The 7 minutes of terror are upon us! I'm sitting here so excited to hear what happened! Science is fucking rad!
  • The 7 minutes of terror are upon us! I'm sitting here so excited to hear what happened! Science is fucking rad!
    Damn straight.
  • edited August 2012
    While the front of the car continuously disappears, the back remains untouched until the sled reaches it.

Why is that?
    Sorry, ben away at scout camp for a week. Slinky video is a good explanation.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
    Fuck you for giving me a heart attack and thinking I'd missed the landing! There are still 24 hours to go.

• Sorry about that, Sir Timo. If nothing else, I burned the time into your brain. =D
  • edited August 2012
    Oh manz, the landing is tomorrow!

I'm actually quite excited about this. About two years ago, my (dad's) cousin Varoujan, whom you might remember from FNPL, took us on a tour of JPL. We got to put our names on a list that would be included on the Mars Lander.

My name is going to be on MARS.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2012
    Curiosity Landing Coverage:

Google+ Hangout

NASA Social

I am watching the Google+ Hangout one, it is more interesting at the moment.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Hey NASA. It's not like Mars moves around that much. If you launched a few hours earlier, it would have been done already. So sleepy...
  • In addition to not giving a shit about when people in New York go to sleep. NASA must consider a laundry list of things before launching. But I'm sure you were already aware of that.
  • edited August 2012
    This video is a couple of days old, but still very good in describing all that went into it and how enormous and difficult the landing procedure is really:
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited August 2012
    It took some time but here is a good lecture on the whole Higgs shebang

and the papers from the Atlas and CMS collaborations are also up.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited August 2012
    Nothing new to me in this video, but it's well presented:

Oh, and note that the video is very wrong on what the Continuum Hypothesis is.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2012
    Oh, and note that the video is very wrong on what the Continuum Hypothesis is.
    They fixed it. Good on them!

Amusingly, though, you can still see evidence of the old, incorrect version if you hover over 6:20 in the seek bar.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't particularly approve of dropping cats, but this is interesting:
  • Smarter every day is a great series. Currently watching his series on how helicopters work. Here's the intro with some wizardry:
  • Currently watching his series on how helicopters work.
    Easy. They're so abhorrent that the earth repels them.

Funny; I watch all those BF3 videos and people can't seem to keep em off the ground.

• Growing up, my friend's dad was a pilot for United and formerly in the Air Force during Vietnam. He had a plaque by the computer with the second saying from the following image:

Funny; I watch all those BF3 videos and people can't seem to keep em off the ground.
    Eh, it's a video game, you have to find a balance between realism and fun.

• You kids. Try flying copters in BF3's ancestor, Desert Combat. They were coded from plane code, with the motive force just directed upward, so there was only three options; fly upward, free-fall, and propel yourself into the ground. The controls were about as wack as you'd expect, so most DC servers were just filled with people diving their copters nosefirst into the ground over and over and preventing the people who actually knew how to use them from flying them.
  • You kids. Try flying copters in BF3's ancestor, Desert Combat. They were coded from plane code, with the motive force just directed upward, so there was only three options; fly upward, free-fall, and propel yourself into the ground. The controls were about as wack as you'd expect, so most DC servers were just filled with people diving their copters nosefirst into the ground over and over and preventing the people who actually knew how to use them from flying them.
    Pretty sure I wasn't talking about Video Game helicopters, sketch.
  • edited August 2012
    Sonic and I were, though. Real helicopters are, of course, a hundred times more complex and about fifty times more awesome.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Sonic and I were, though. Real helicopters are, of course, a hundred times more complex and about fifty times more awesome.
    Actually, I was just making a throwaway joke.

LOL Go play DCS Black Shark and then come talk to me.

• This shows the startup and some combat.
  • I like the implications of this sort of technology to be used for automatic driving and for medical applications, but I can also see this being used for military type applications. Regardless, cool.