This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

E3 2012 Announcements

Comments

• Starwars:1313

:fap fap fap:
  • Nintendo made me sad...Pikmin 3 was great! But everything else was a disappointment.

Yeah, E3 was a joke this year. The companies don't give a shit about it anymore.
  • edited June 2012
    When GeekNights started it was all about Reggie. Now it's all about GabeN. PC is back, and is king. Phones are just small PCs.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2012
    Nintendo made me sad...Pikmin 3 was great! But everything else was a disappointment.

Yeah, E3 was a joke this year. The companies don't give a shit about it anymore.
    Similar things were said overall last year.

http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8333/e3-2011/p1
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Nintendo, way to have "Call me maybe" in your press conference. That was totally called for.
  • Yeah...
  • E3 Footage, Trailers with WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB.
  • Seriously? Why not four tablets? Why only two? I want Zelda four swords damn it!
  • Starwars:1313
    needs moar chest-high walls
  • Nintendo said they'd talk almost exclusively about games, but I didn't see a whole lot of games I'm dying to play, except TANK TANK TANK and Pikmin 2.
  • Yeah, I've also been pretty meh over the E3 coverage so far this year. I'm somewhat relieved though, cause hopefully the lack of interest will allow me to catch up on my backlog.
  • I am kind of glad they didn't announce any new consoles, since I'm in no hurry to replace my 360 any time soon.
  • I am kind of glad they didn't announce any new consoles, since I'm in no hurry to replace my 360 any time soon.
    This being the first generation of consoles that are very up datable over the Internets, companies haven't had to release new ones. They make more money on software. So if the razor is still selling blades, why make a new razor that sells at a loss?

The only reason companies made new consoles is because the thinking was that if you had a newer generation console, everyone would only be making and buying games for that, and previous gen consoles would die out. Atari 7800, Dreamcast, and the first XBox showed that being a generation ahead doesn't mean an automatic win.
  • Well, Nintendo announced that two GamePads can be used on the WiiU, and there's future games that'll support it. So at least that's one thing I think Rym and Scott would be happy about.

...who am I kidding?
  • Well, Nintendo announced that two GamePads can be used on the WiiU, and there's future games that'll support it. So at least that's one thing I think Rym and Scott would be happy about.

...who am I kidding?
    If it's not four, it might as well be zero.

• edited June 2012
    Well, Nintendo announced that two GamePads can be used on the WiiU, and there's future games that'll support it. So at least that's one thing I think Rym and Scott would be happy about.

...who am I kidding?
    If it's not four, it might as well be zero.

If it might as well be zero, then what's the point of trying to innovate in the first place?
    Post edited by Robert on
  • I disagree. You can have two Gamepads, and then any other combination of the pro controllers, Wii remotes and nunchuks, etc. It would be great if we could have two Gamepads and four Wiimotes going at the same time.
  • It would be best if we could have infinite any controller going on.
  • Probably won't be such a huge problem if they sort the online stuff out.
    Yeah, because that's reasonable.

Yeah, because that's reasonable.
    I didn't claim it was reasonable, just that it would be the best.
  • What's the limiting factor for additional Wii U tablet controllers? Wireless bandwidth?
  • edited June 2012
    Either bandwidth or processing power. Putting video on screens takes cycles, yo.
    Also, those aren't going to be cheap, or easy to store.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Anyone with knowledge of code should understand the limitations on controllers.

The amount of complex input coming from that tablet is immense. You've got multi-touch input on the buttons, touch-screen movement and gestures, three motion sensing devices (accelerometer, gyroscope, and geomagnetic), and a camera, many of which need to be used simultaneously. In addition, it still has to support all the input of the standard Wii controllers.

While I imagine it is possible for them connect as many controllers as they really want, the complications in accepting input for that many devices quickly causes problems. Every controller you add is a good amount of processing for the Wii U. As much as it's supposed to be significantly more powerful than the Wii, I still don't expect it has the capability of handling all that stuff.
  • edited June 2012
    Guys, Nintendo is having another press conference tomorrow that is supposed to be all games. Chill out. Today seemed like it was mostly follow-up from last year, the one tomorrow should have a lot of meat to it.

Apparently, there's also a WiiU developer's round table tonight.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Anyone with knowledge of code should understand the limitations on controllers.

The amount of complex input coming from that tablet is immense. You've got multi-touch input on the buttons, touch-screen movement and gestures, three motion sensing devices (accelerometer, gyroscope, and geomagnetic), and a camera, many of which need to be used simultaneously. In addition, it still has to support all the input of the standard Wii controllers.

While I imagine it is possible for them connect as many controllers as they really want, the complications in accepting input for that many devices quickly causes problems. Every controller you add is a good amount of processing for the Wii U. As much as it's supposed to be significantly more powerful than the Wii, I still don't expect it has the capability of handling all that stuff.
    Not to mention that the controllers themselves are not too smart - all the video on the little screen is being pushed by the Wii U, using it as an external display. All the work for it happens on the console.
  • Not to mention that the controllers themselves are not too smart - all the video on the little screen is being pushed by the Wii U, using it as an external display. All the work for it happens on the console.
    I gotta wonder about that. Is it really? I mean, it would be cool if they were pushing all of that over bluetooth, but I doubt it. Besides, you can use the Wii U gamepad apart from the Wii U, so it's gotta have SOME graphics processing on board.
  • edited June 2012
    I gotta wonder about that. Is it really? I mean, it would be cool if they were pushing all of that over bluetooth, but I doubt it. Besides, you can use the Wii U gamepad apart from the Wii U, so it's gotta have SOME graphics processing on board.
    Nope - As far as I know, you can use it as a display to play parts of some games with the TV off/displaying other things, watching TV, whatever, but you still have to have the Wii U itself switched on.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can't believe the South Park game isn't coming out for another 9 months.