This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• I did not know Matt is/was a gubment employee as well. What do/did you do, sir?
  • I'm a systems engineering project manager for the Navy, or at least I was until they read this thread!
  • Question for all: Fiber or Glass?
    From a purely selfish view (because we're still waiting for fiber to all the major cities in Australia and unlimited upload and downloads) I would go Fiber.
    I belive I quote the great scholar only known as the little girl from those taco shell ads when I say "Why not both?"
    I belive I quote the great scholar only known as the little girl from those taco shell ads when I say "Why not both?"
    Everyone picks up Churba and starts cheering as the Old El Paso music starts blaring.

Everyone picks up Churba and starts cheering as the Old El Paso music starts blaring.

On a side note, Old El Paso products are not actually sold in El Paso.
  • I'm certain we were not the first to do so, but I found drawings by my sister and I from 2006 and 2007 depicting one of her characters wearing these things. People really want internet glasses.
    Knowlege is Power by ~cho-chosensei on deviantART

Knowledge is Power 2 by *tamasan on deviantART

I mean, ignoring that I didn't have a very good sense of HUD or GUI design during middle school, it's Google Glass. I'm sure there are lists of sci-fi tech predictions that mention certain films or novels beating us to it by decades, but still. It's kind of funny.
  • Just got a message on G+ about upgrading to a newer model of the hardware in a few weeks, as well as opening up the program to invite friends. Stay tuned!
  • Google Glass is not a HUD: it's a secondary display.
  • Google Glass is not a HUD: it's a secondary display.
    Until I can see my health in front of me, simplified into a numeric 0-100 scale, I am not on board.

• How easily can other people see what you are looking at on glass? If you were watching Netflix could.someone beside or in front of you know what show/movie you were watching?
  • How easily can other people see what you are looking at on glass? If you were watching Netflix could.someone beside or in front of you know what show/movie you were watching?
    You can't watch Netflix on Glass. Like most people you are vastly overestimating its capabilities.
  • edited October 2013
    I tried watching youtube on Glass after they added the browser. It works. You wouldn't want to do it, ever.
    Post edited by pence on
  • For those who have it, is the device now vital for you to have in everyday life? Or is it more of a nice to have, fun toy when I remember I'm wearing it.
  • I haven't tried it, but there's a guy at work in our surgical simulation department who wears one 24/7. He's evaluating it for use by surgeons, officially. I always see him wearing it in the halls and the parking garage.
  • Can someone near you look at your glass and discern what you are looking at on the 'screen'?
  • Can someone near you look at your glass and discern what you are looking at on the 'screen'?
    You can see a tiny, reflected image of what is on the prism, yes. It is hard to see even up close, like looking through a pair of binoculars backwards.
  • I have 3 Google Glass invites. One is already spoken for. Rym may or may not take the second one?

You must:

be a US resident

be 18 years or older

purchase Glass (for $1500+)

provide a U.S. based shipping address OR pick up the device in New York, San Francisco
    or Los Angeles

Apparently there is going to be a second revision of the hardware, and I presume that is what these invitees will get. They are giving people who already have Glass a one-time chance to swap their old Glass for the new one. I will almost definitely take them up on that offer. Supposedly the new version supports prescription frames and such, but they probably aren't included.

I really only want to give the invite to someone I know. Lots of random strangers on the Internet are popping out of the woodwork to try and get the invites. Hell no. I have to send all three invites together, and I only have 12 more days to send them.
  • Apreche said:

I have 3 Google Glass invites
    You must:
    purchase Glass (for $1500+)

OMG Google glass is the new Amway!
  • You'll get new versions of Google glass if you get a great downstream.
  • Sadly the budget is not primed for AR technology (yet).
  • Coldguy said:

Sadly the budget is not primed for AR technology (yet).

Google glass is not AR.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Sadly the budget is not primed for AR technology (yet).

Google glass is not AR.
    Well, you're technically correct.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/02/dapper-vision-openglass/
  • I'm game. I wish I knew if I could put prescription lenses/frames together with it at-delivery, or if that's yet another milestone down the road...
  • Rym said:

I'm game. I wish I knew if I could put prescription lenses/frames together with it at-delivery, or if that's yet another milestone down the road...

When asked how the prescription lenses would work, whoever's running their G+ mentioned that the device can be detached from the titanium band. That's currently true, but it's not a good solution. Even if you have a 3d printer you're going to have a hell of a time getting it properly positioned on your frames.

I only have a mild astigmatism, but I'd like to have a way to just attach prescription lenses, the same way that you can attach sunglasses.
  • pence said:

Rym said:

I'm game. I wish I knew if I could put prescription lenses/frames together with it at-delivery, or if that's yet another milestone down the road...

When asked how the prescription lenses would work, whoever's running their G+ mentioned that the device can be detached from the titanium band. That's currently true, but it's not a good solution. Even if you have a 3d printer you're going to have a hell of a time getting it properly positioned on your frames.

I only have a mild astigmatism, but I'd like to have a way to just attach prescription lenses, the same way that you can attach sunglasses.
    They specifically said the next version supports attaching prescription frames. It just doesn't say how to get such frames, when they will be available, or for how much.
  • There was all sorts of talk about them having a Warby Parker partnership earlier in the year. No official announcement thought.
  • Google glass project for San Franciscans: livestream a boat ride / urban exploration to the barge.