This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• edited November 2013
    You know what? I'm in. I got a bonus from work, and I have no big expenses in the near future. Time to become posthuman.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • You know what? I'm in. I got a bonus from work, and I have no big expenses in the near future. Time to become posthuman.

Too late.

• Same here, just sent my 3 names in last night.
  • I'm excited. If the prescription lenses aren't ready at-pickup, I will get contacts.

Normal people shouldn't be excited yet. I am fully aware of what Glass is and does, and I'm excited for specific, narrow reasons. ;^)
  • Rym said:

I'm excited. If the prescription lenses aren't ready at-pickup, I will get contacts.

Normal people shouldn't be excited yet. I am fully aware of what Glass is and does, and I'm excited for specific, narrow reasons. ;^)

Developing that slide presentation app is one of them I hope.
  • Developing that app will be a pain in the ass. I can't use the useless Mirror API, since such an app can not rely at all on Internet connectivity.
  • If I had Google Glass, I would pay $30 for such an app with no hesitation whatsoever. Powerpoint's presenter view is great, but I like roaming around stage.
  • So far, so good.
  • So, now that the second wave has been glassified (glassed?) for a few weeks, what are your impressions? What's the best thing and the worst thing so far?
  • I am eager to get this Glass upgrade. Supposed to get details on the swap this month. Will be nice to actually be able to hear any audio.
  • You know what would be pretty awesome as an idea for the not-too-distant future?

A text-searchable record, indexed by participants, of each and every conversation you have.
  • I love it, but that would cause an uproar like you wouldn't believe.
  • I think you'd be required to wear a t-shirt saying you're that guy.
  • You know what would be pretty awesome as an idea for the not-too-distant future?

A text-searchable record, indexed by participants, of each and every conversation you have.

This kind of thing has already been done as a research project by Microsoft. I read about it in a book called Total Recall. Very interesting, despite the book itself not being very well written.

This kind of thing has already been done as a research project by Microsoft. I read about it in a book called Total Recall. Very interesting, despite the book itself not being very well written.
    Some more information on Total Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything:
    Based on their own research, Bell and Gemmell explain the ever-increasing access to electronic personal memories - both "cloud" services such as Facebook and huge personal hardrives. Using Bell as a test case, the two digitally uploaded everything - photos, computer activity, biometrics - and explored systems that could best store the vast amounts of data and make it accessible. The result? An amazing enhancement of human experience from health and education to productivity and just reminiscing about good times. And then, when you are gone, your memories, your life will still be accessible for your grandchildren...
    The thing that got around privacy issues? To capture a photo of everyone someone met, it took a camera hanging on a loop around the neck. This device also recorded every conversation. They didn't have to wear a tshirt to show they were "That guy" as the clunky device did it for them.

I love the idea of a glass-like device doing instead. One of my favourite passages in the book was one man who said "I have a photo of my wife the first time I ever saw her, taken automatically in the moment between us meeting and our first words spoken."

How awesome is that?

• "The story of how we met? Let me just start up the Holodeck for you".
  • "The story of how we met? Let me just start up the Holodeck for you".

Well, a lot of people now meet online so all their first communications and conversations are saved in Facebook/Skype/OkCupid/etc.

A friend of mine died last year, and I skimmed back through all of our conversations on Skype, going back seven or eight years, and read quite a few conversations. It was a really weird but emotionally powerful experience! In some ways I wish I could do that with all our offline communications too.

• Yes, but as soon as you archive and index conversations, a whole new rabbit whole is opened. What would be the legal jurisdiction on archived conversations under the 4th amendment? "Here's a warrant demanding you turn over everything you've ever said to your friends, family, loved ones, etc." I've had more than a handful of hypothetical conversations with friends that would put me in more than a couple of bad lists, and this is not counting all of the crimes I've planned and outlined for my cybercrime classes. ("Damn, you're scaring the shit out me, glad you're on our side." Best complement I've gotten form a CompSec teacher. 8D)

Or to take things further, and on a tangent, say this is implemented and has critical spread, wouldn't it be interesting seeing the impact it would have on spoken language?
  • If I am the one archiving and indexing my conversations, then there is no rabbit hole to open. It is simply my own private data. It has zero standing as evidence in any court or for any reason. I would be free to go into the conversations and edit it as I see fit, just as I can do today with any other personal data on my hard drive.
  • I was thinking more along the lines of automatic conversation archiving/indexing by a glass-like devices, which does not seem too far out with emerging technologies nowadays.
  • If you try to do that, your Glass battery will die very quickly. Battery technology is still a very long way away from being able to record just audio, let alone video, for extended periods of time. A GoPro, which is dedicated entirely to recording and nothing else would need at least eight fully charged batteries to record for that long. That's a device that is using all of the power for recording. If you want a device that is also doing wifi, has a display, and is doing other things besides recording, you're going to need a fuckton of batteries. An entire belt of lithium ions might not even be enough.
  • I was thinking more along the lines of automatic conversation archiving/indexing by a glass-like devices, which does not seem too far out with emerging technologies nowadays.

So who has the data you are saying will be demanded under hypothetical warrants? If it is data you have on your own hard drives, then you can edit the conversations all you want.

On the other hand, if it is data stored by Google in the cloud, it should be treated in the same way as any security footage or phone records or email or chat logs held by a third party. The way THOSE are treated is broken, of course, but it doesn't mean conversation records would be different.
  • I want the "life-record" more than I want most things. I sort of have it with all online conversations I've had since about 1997: I want that for in-person conversations.
  • What is the legality of recording a conversation on glass without telling anyone? For example let's say you are in a situation that you know is about to go bad and you record it. At some later date you end up in court over this incident. Is your recording admissimble or not?
  • I still don't get the point of those. I'm trying hard to understand the appeal, but I just don't get it.
  • HMTKSteve said:

What is the legality of recording a conversation on glass without telling anyone? For example let's say you are in a situation that you know is about to go bad and you record it. At some later date you end up in court over this incident. Is your recording admissimble or not?

Didn't I just cover this exact topic three posts ago?
  • HMTKSteve said:

What is the legality of recording a conversation on glass without telling anyone? For example let's say you are in a situation that you know is about to go bad and you record it. At some later date you end up in court over this incident. Is your recording admissimble or not?

Didn't I just cover this exact topic three posts ago?
    No, your coverage was more of "can this be used against me, the person who recorded it." My question is more of,"can I use this to cover my ass or will the court say I can't because they will treat it as an illegal wire tapping."
  • If you live in a one-party consent state, then you can record every conversation freely and legally. Only one person in any conversation needs to consent, which includes you.

Other states, that have all-party consent laws, are awful places that should be avoided. ;^)