This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• I'll probably wait till Gen 2.
    Not a horrible move. I've really been loving mine, but I won't pretend that it's perfect. There are plenty of gripes, and it prevents it from being something I wear 24/7. I wear it when I go out though, and it's proven to be very handy. The walking directions GPS would be something that would become an immediate necessity if I lived in the city.
  • I'm not buying it, but I want to live vicariously through you guys, so tell me all about it when you get it. :)
    Not a horrible move. I've really been loving mine, but I won't pretend that it's perfect. There are plenty of gripes, and it prevents it from being something I wear 24/7. I wear it when I go out though, and it's proven to be very handy. The walking directions GPS would be something that would become an immediate necessity if I lived in the city.
    I want to use it as a russian dash cam for biking.
  • I wonder if it would be an issue wearing it at work. Perhaps Ro could provide some insight?
    I want to use it as a russian dash cam for biking.
    Get a GoPro. If you take a long video, the Glass battery will die so fast.
  • Yeah, no joke. Right now you have to plan ahead if you want to record any video. 30-45 minutes if you're recording. And it's still only about 12 hours from a full battery if you never touch it.

Looking forward to having it at PAX, but I will have an external battery handy.
  • edited August 2013
    I wonder if it would be an issue wearing it at work. Perhaps Ro could provide some insight?
    hahahaha. I work with sensitive info. What do you think?

I would think for any government agency, is you are bottom tier and you deal with sensitive info the answer is pretty obvious. Also for security reasons they probably won't allow it in any government agency.

I'm fine with just an iPhone for now. I can wait until the 2nd gen.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Especially in health care - wearing something that can see you looking at docs with personal information is baaaad news.
  • What was that movie from about 15 years ago where people wore these skull cap things that recorded everything they saw? The idea of having everything I see (via glass) recorded is just awesome. More so for someone who deals.with situations that often result in accusations of wrongdoing.
  • You people really have a very wrong impression of what Glass does.
  • $300 for Glass is tempting. I'd have to see what the specific requirements are for pairing with your smartphone, etc., but that's more or less in the ballpark of what I'd be willing to pay for it.
  • If it's $300 that's bullshit if it comes out so soon. What did I pay 5 times that amount for? A few months of extra usage?
  • If it's $300 that's bullshit if it comes out so soon. What did I pay 5 times that amount for? A few months of extra usage?
    Eeyup. Congratulations, you just paid the Nerd Tax.
    Eeyup. Congratulations, you just paid the Nerd Tax.
    Your nerd dick is three months longer than ours. Isn't that worth 1200 dollars?
  • In all seriousness, the $1500 version of Glass was meant to be for developers, not just any random Schmoe who wants it for the sake of nerd cred. The idea was to get people to actually write apps for the damned thing, as in stuff that not only would later show off how awesome Glass is, but also stuff that could help the people who paid $1500 for it earn some money. In addition, if you were a developer who purchased Glass with the intention of writing apps to take advantage of it, then you could also deduct the cost of Glass on your taxes as a business expense.

So Scott, you're a programmer, start writing some apps for Glass and try to sell them via the Google Play Store or whatever once Glass is released for general purchase. Problem solved. :P
  • Glass Explorer edition was not meant for developers. At the explorer pickup location, there was almost no developer focus to speak of. They were much more concerned with everything other than developing. Again, because glass is all exclusive and shit, people are jumping on conclusions and assumptions about what the deal is in order to fill in the gaps.

That being said, if the eventual glass release still has a $1500 developer edition or something, that's cool. It would also be cool if the explorer edition gets the beta updates even after retail Glass is released, similar to how if you pay Apple $100 a year you get the beta iOS versions.
  • I have to wait until a GA prescription glasses integration before I can do anything, so it's all moot for me.
  • When I went to pick up, there actually was zero development focus. I mentioned at the end that I intended to develop for it and the guy said "Oh! Really! Glad you mentioned it, I'll get you added to developer community and whitelist you for the API, yadda yadda yadda." So, yeah. Glad I asked.

I'm still happy I paid the money. My stance was always that if I was really let down by it, I could always sell it for $5,000 on eBay (since Google has come out and said they really don't intend to enforce the "don't sell it" rule).
  • They told me it was my device, and I could do whatever I wanted with it.
  • They seem to be indifferent toward people hacking around with Glass. When I picked it up, I asked about prescription lenses. The guy pointed out the screw that holds the device to the headband, and said I could try to mount it on my glasses, but then I'd have to solve the problem of keeping the speaker tight against my head.
  • They seem to be indifferent toward people hacking around with Glass. When I picked it up, I asked about prescription lenses. The guy pointed out the screw that holds the device to the headband, and said I could try to mount it on my glasses, but then I'd have to solve the problem of keeping the speaker tight against my head.
    Let's be honest though, that speaker doesn't work for shit.

• Let's be honest though, that speaker doesn't work for shit.
    One time I tried to make a video call while I was making breakfast but couldn't hear it over the sound of the potatoes frying...
    Let's be honest though, that speaker doesn't work for shit.

It's really good at making beeping noises. It's useless for voice/music.

• hahahaha. I work with sensitive info. What do you think?

I would think for any government agency, is you are bottom tier and you deal with sensitive info the answer is pretty obvious. Also for security reasons they probably won't allow it in any government agency.

I'm fine with just an iPhone for now. I can wait until the 2nd gen.

I didn't realize you dealt with sensitive information. My B. I, on the other hand, handle heavy sacks of mail. I don't consider that at all sensitive so...
  • edited August 2013
    I didn't realize you dealt with sensitive information. My B. I, on the other hand, handle heavy sacks of mail. I don't consider that at all sensitive so...
    I would think it would still matter. You work for a government agency. It's always best to err on the side of caution. If anything, they probably won't allow you to wear it during work hours or in the building at all.

Also you just started working for the USPS. I don't know how that side works, but you're normally on 1 year probation before they review your employment to see if they want to keep you on.

I will say this in my experience, if you're on probation don't rock the boat.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • 90 day probation, 1 year appointments. Of course they can choose not to pick up your appointment again.

It's not like Glass will be hitting tomorrow. Even if it did, I would wait until I made it out of probation before even asking. My head is very much in a don't rock the boat and get out of probation phase at the moment. I'm a 4 generation postal worker and I have zero intentions of fucking it up.
  • Yeah, I wore Glass for a week at my gubment job, and the entire floor tried it on. Act first, ask questions later?
  • You're a GS-14. That's different. You're of the upper echelon of pay grade. You're elite. :P People don't question those pay grades. You know this to be true.