This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• Dromaro said:

Matt said:

Everyone PayPal me $20 or I'll post the entire script here.

The flaw in your plan? I am illiterate!
    Yeah, and I don't speak English.
  • I honestly give no fucks about spoilers.
  • I honestly give no fucks about spoilers.

You are soooooo cool. Hipster.
  • Andrew said:

I honestly give no fucks about spoilers.

Cause I'm not avoiding the internet until I have time to see Star Wars?
  • Andrew said:

Because you actively brag about not caring about the movie's plot on multiple sites?
  • Andrew said:

Andrew said:

Because you actively brag about not caring about the movie's plot on multiple sites?
    Care too much about my actions you do.
  • edited December 2015
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Witness the firepower of this fully operational hype station:
  • When Episode 1 was in the works, the OST came out way before the movie. I pirated it from an early leak even.

One of the tracks was titled "Qui-Gon's Noble End."
  • Rym said:

When Episode 1 was in the works, the OST came out way before the movie. I pirated it from an early leak even.

This is known.
  • Andrew said:

Rym said:

When Episode 1 was in the works, the OST came out way before the movie. I pirated it from an early leak even.

This is known.
    Hey now, there are younglings in the forum. It might have been before their time.

• Why can't we all just let Qui-Gon's be Qui-Gon's?

This joke should be taken out back and shot.

This joke should be taken out back and shot.
    With the younglings.
  • Nobody blames the lightsaber
  • SWATrous said:

Nobody blames the lightsaber

Nobody blames the Jedi religion
  • edited December 2015
    Yet Han shot first

I have secured tickets to a local luxury art house cinema that is opening after their extensive luxury renovations today with showings of star wars force awakens. So that's pretty cool. Gonna get some beer and watch the new warstars
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • SWATrous said:

Yet Han shot first

• I stole the idea from Pinterest, but they're still cool. I made wookiee cookiees.

• How Lucasfilm made the original lightsabers.

• Reflective metal at first, IIRC.
  • Oh boy, that was a ride.
  • It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn good. I'm just relieved that it washed out the bad prequel taste.
  • You know you can't resist this thread. Let the discussion of plot begin. Search your feelings.

I declare this thread open for spoilers.
  • I just want to lead off here by saying I'm really impressed by the dedication of Greg Grunberg, gaining 50 pounds to play the role of Jek Porkins Jr
  • Matt said:

It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn good. I'm just relieved that it washed out the bad prequel taste.

That's kind of how I felt. It wasn't perfect but I thought it was still a great, fun movie. The stuff I could complain about would be spoilery, but mostly it has to do with just how many parallels I noticed between this and Episode 4. Not in a homage way, more in a, "Well the first movie had this, so this one has to have this." (I hope that's vague enough.) It wasn't until a mid-movie scene that I realized just how many moments like that there were. I also can't decide if that's necessarily a bad thing or just something I noticed.

I loved the visuals of the movie. It didn't feel like lifeless plastic people in a lifeless plastic world. The characters felt like real people and the environments felt like real environments. It never felt like you were watching "video game cut scenes" which was a major complaint of the prequels.

It's too early to figure out where to place this movie in a list of "best to worst" Star Wars films; its ust too fresh in the mind. That being said I feel like this movie is going to be looked upon favorably as time goes on, unlike the prequels that only get looked at worse over time.
  • Likely the third best, depending on how much credit you give A New Hope for being first, and doing so much for a 70s movies. It revolutionized effects, for one.

The Force Awakens was clearly a stealth reboot of A New Hope, and this was an active choice by the production. Rather than whipe the slate clean, they advanced the clock 30 years and played "history repeats itself" in order to hand off a new trilogy to a new cast. I feel that this was a good choice even if it made Force Awakens a tad safe and formulaic.
  • The original trilogy was so good, and the prequel triolgy so bad, that almost any movie you make is going to be ranked in fourth. It's such a huge gap it's incredibly difficult to land outside of it.