This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• The YouTube comments on this vid are great.
  • I am absolutely not immune to the hype. I walked out of Episode I with a smile because I'm not extremely critical of movies until I have time to sit down and unpack them in my head. I don't point things out in the middle of viewing. I become a dumb person.

Episode I had plenty of fan service, especially ending with Duel of the Fates. It worked on me, and I was happy. Once I got home, the quick process of me getting out of Star Wars happened very quickly. I went from reading all Star Wars books, collecting the toys, playing the CCG, to having zero engagement in the franchise by time Episode II came out.

Star Wars didn't become a regular thing in my life again until Fantasy Flight started making games, and I started showing the movies to my daughter.

I'm going to have a great time watching Episode VII. I already know that the story arcs are solid. But will it actually be a good movie? The wildcard is the dialogue and acting. We know how badly those can sink a Star Wars movie...
  • Chewbacca is almost ready. Almost ready!!
  • Needs some refinement, but still loving it:

• You got a bowcaster to go with that? Great costume though.
  • edited December 2015
    Haven't decided whether to build one or not. I'm definitely better with hard (like, physically hard) props/artifacts than soft ones, but it's a fair amount of work and tying up one or both hands with the bowcaster makes it harder to interact with the kids (not to mention it contributes to spoiling the illusion that my arms are the right length for Chewie's height. :D )

It's a possibility though. Maybe for CT-Con.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I've been wanting to build a real PVC crossbow so now I kinda just want to build one that looks like a bowcaster. Mostly just need to add the balls on the bow really. If you wanted to be cheap/lazy you can get a decent actual crossbow for like $30 and just modify it to look the part. And you could always add a sling.
  • muppet said:

Haven't decided whether to build one or not. I'm definitely better with hard (like, physically hard) props/artifacts than soft ones, but it's a fair amount of work and tying up one or both hands with the bowcaster makes it harder to interact with the kids (not to mention it contributes to spoiling the illusion that my arms are the right length for Chewie's height. :D )

It's a possibility though. Maybe for CT-Con.

Just sling it, man. You don't have to be waving it about, just have it about. Know what you mean about hard props, though - Never been much chop with the actual fabric work.
  • I've been wanting to build a real PVC crossbow so now I kinda just want to build one that looks like a bowcaster. Mostly just need to add the balls on the bow really. If you wanted to be cheap/lazy you can get a decent actual crossbow for like $30 and just modify it to look the part. And you could always add a sling.

The tough part here is that now you are carrying around an actual crossbow.

• edited December 2015
    Got these Real 3D glasses. Couldn't help myself. Too bad it won't work for IMAX on our second viewing.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • HYPE WEEK

YOUR SHIELDS CAN'T REPEL HYPE OF THIS MAGNITUDE
  • Even if the movie disappoints, Thursday night is gonna be great. We got a whole row in the theater. Meeting up for a big friend's dinner 2 hours prior.
  • I'm contemplating loitering around the theater in town as Chewbacca and hoping i don't get arrested. Masks are against policy for the night, but... cmon.
  • Meh.

You just salty because you failed the star wars trivia question of the week.
  • Matt said:

I've been wanting to build a real PVC crossbow so now I kinda just want to build one that looks like a bowcaster. Mostly just need to add the balls on the bow really. If you wanted to be cheap/lazy you can get a decent actual crossbow for like $30 and just modify it to look the part. And you could always add a sling.

The tough part here is that now you are carrying around an actual crossbow.

I mean if you took the string off I would hope it wouldn't be an issue, but I get your point.
  • I still plan on seeing it whenever I can just buy a ticket at the good theater at 84th street without trouble.
  • To be fair you can make a gun that looks like a banana if you wanted to, so while this initially strikes me as a douchey way to ruin informal/spontaneous cosplay for everybody, really we could apply that standard to anything that could conceivably contain a firing mechanism of some kind.
  • You could just have a power crossbow that ran out of batteries so you can't use the power arrows it fires. We call that cosplay writer's dodge.
  • Once I figure out how to keep my bandolier from sliding over all that slick faux hair, I will probably seriously consider adding a (very light) bowcaster prop to the mix just for completeness' sake. That bandolier by itself, though, weighs somewhere around 30-40 pounds. The leather itself is very thick and then the ammo boxes are solid resin. I'm either going to slush cast some hollow ones or pay someone for real folded aluminum ones.
  • Fuck. It's 3d?
  • Starfox said:

Fuck. It's 3d?

Why wouldn't it be?

Well done 3D movies are amazing. Fury Road was probably the best use of 3D in a movie I've ever seen.

• It's whatever you want. 2d, 3d, IMAX, 70mm
  • Andrew said:

It's whatever you want. 2d, 3d, IMAX, 70mm

It all of them at once.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
  • I have no problems with 3D as a technique, it's just the implementation sucks. The glasses dim the picture immensely. The best way to view 3D movies is actually in VR though :D