This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFest XII

Comments

• My first MAGFest was a great one. I may make it a regular thing.
  • wait there was concerts at MAGFEST? (Third magfest that I didn't see any concerts :-p)
  • That was most of my spent time (I think 8 full concerts and a few partial ones). That or arcades or friendship time.
  • Concert count: 21
    Panel Count: 2
    TT count: 14
    VG count: 0
  • If the concerts weren't so loud, I would probably go to some. But as it is, I don't go... I don't particularly enjoy being in pain and then spending the rest of the night with a headache.

What is REALLY cool about MAGfest is that there is plenty to keep me busy even without going to a single concert. You can skip an entire segment of the con ( or two or three) and still have a full schedule!
  • Nuri said:

If the concerts weren't so loud, I would probably go to some. But as it is, I don't go... I don't particularly enjoy being in pain and then spending the rest of the night with a headache.

What is REALLY cool about MAGfest is that there is plenty to keep me busy even without going to a single concert. You can skip an entire segment of the con ( or two or three) and still have a full schedule!

Earplugs, we has them.

• Which reminds me that Chase Gordon is a convention hero for handing out pairs for me and a bunch of my friends and the MaSu concert, it was off the hook. Anyway the convention was baller, had an excellent time at TT with you guys and my other friends scattered around the halls. They are certainly sold on coming again so looks like this is a con added to the rotation.
  • Yes, I think this is an event I could attend again, with maybe some modifications to the plan. good times tho.
  • johndis said:

Tabletop set up was excellent tho imo.

The un-official percentage of my games comprising the library was at 70%, however the purchase of "con games" paid off since those were the heavy hitters being checked out.
  • MAGFest was amazing, but my only regret is that I didn't get to hang out with you all enough. Having to look over local friends, especially when their car breaks down and you have to pick them up and show them where everything can impede the maximum amount of fun you can have.

But seriously, cosplaying on Friday and the build-up to MaSu? Those were incredible.
  • I won Eclipse!

Also, super fun times at MagFest.
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

If the concerts weren't so loud, I would probably go to some. But as it is, I don't go... I don't particularly enjoy being in pain and then spending the rest of the night with a headache.

Earplugs, we has them.

Earplugs only help your ear drums. Not helpful when the music is so loud it vibrates your body.

• Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Earplugs, we has them.

Earplugs only help your ear drums. Not helpful when the music is so loud it vibrates your body.

Such vibrations are usually considered a huge positive.

• Well played sir, well played.
  • I enjoyed being vibrated some of the time. When MaSu sent their first vibration out it was like a transcendental experience.
  • Tabletop was pretty great, wish I'd done last Magfest the same way last year. All you FRCF guys I ran into in there are damn awesome.

Also, Eclipse is a hateful, hateful game. I'm buying it as soon as possible.
  • Lt. Chibi said:

Also, Eclipse is a hateful, hateful game. I'm buying it as soon as possible.

Welcome to the club
  • It's back!

• edited January 2014

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I was there for the MJ off. It was rad.
  • That's weird, I was probably standing several feet to the left of you when that happened.
    Any idea as to whether they knew each other beforehand, or just found each other through the power of MJ?
  • I'm mostly certain they were unrelated cosplayers.
  • I'm in the Two Best Friends MAGFest video in cosplay! (@11:50)

• The only down point I will say about MAGfest is that it did flame out Sunday harder than I've ever seen a con flame out before. Sunday was more of a husk of a convention then I've ever seen PAX or even Connecticon.
  • Jordan O. said:

The only down point I will say about MAGfest is that it did flame out Sunday harder than I've ever seen a con flame out before. Sunday was more of a husk of a convention then I've ever seen PAX or even Connecticon.

It's a 24/7 con that starts Thursday. People stay up all night on Saturday playing games and concerting. Then they have to checkout of hotels by 10am or 11am on Sunday. That includes people who brought arcade games with them and such. Nothing important is ever scheduled Sunday. No concerts really to speak of either. The Sunday exists simply because it can. They stay open only to squeak out just one more game.
  • Sunday was super rocking. It was just rocking until about 7am. Then everyone went to bed. ;^)
  • Also this year was a bit different because of the astronomy convention eating up bits of the convention space.
  • edited January 2014
    Jordan O. said:

The only down point I will say about MAGfest is that it did flame out Sunday harder than I've ever seen a con flame out before. Sunday was more of a husk of a convention then I've ever seen PAX or even Connecticon.

You end up with a net benefit, though, because Thursday really becomes a proper con day, so you have three proper con days and a recovery day, rather than two proper con days and a kinda piddly, half-day.

Also, if NE folks are going to be going to Magfest in larger numbers, we should do some sort of MAGVoy.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I think the subsequent Astronomy thing moving in on Sunday had an additional dampening effect. That's the main reason we didn't go back to TT after lunchtime.
  • If I hadn't already taken a week off of my life, I would have stayed longer at the con. Sunday is the day for solo gaming in the arcade!