This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Fake Geeks

edited February 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on a very special GeekNights, we tackle the (rightfully) contentious issue of "fake geek girls" and the wider discussion of "fake" geeks/nerds/fans. Why is this even a thing? Why not "fake football dudes?" What do these labels really mean? Is it simply latent sexism (yes), or are there other factors also at play? (also yes). We try to take this on with a more subtle opinion than most people on both "sides" of the issue have taken in this great wide Internet, and you may be surprised with our thoughts. Suffice it to say, however, the people who actually, with genuine intent, use the term in any of its permutations, are bad people who probably also think "Ladder Theory" is a valid, well, anything.

BUT FIRST, an awesome subway conductor, Google Hangout adds manual bandwidth controls, conspiracy nuts think calling them conspiracy nuts is, predictably, a conspiracy, we consider "Rym's theory of fasted hadouken," and Penny Arcade appears to have a crossover character with Oglaf.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• hush you the Ladder Theory is great social theory :-p
  • edited February 2013
    Tonight on a very special GeekNights...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Strangely me and a couple coworkers talked about this during lunch last week.
  • Oh yea this is a thing. Shouldn't we be happy that this could even be something a female would want to do? We've finally gotten so popular women might want to fake it to be around us. That's the dream in a nut shell, we have our cake and the eating can commence.
  • I really hold the philosophy in life of "People like what they like. If I happen to like it as well? AWESOME!". If someone else feels the need to judge/label someone in any sense about it, they were going to seek out some other sort of social leverage on which to enact whatever fucked up social view they hold.

Speaking more directly to labels, it's a very personal thing. I choose to call myself self a geek, a fan, and an enthusiast. The label dork isn't even in my lexicon. I'm not going to try and argue that society should establish a hard and fast glossary of terms but in broad strokes, I think everyone will agree what a geek/dork/nerd/fan is. If you want to have that conversation to better understand what the people in that conversation mean, you already get on well enough that it's going to likely be a trivial distinction.

So sexist "fake geek girl" is a sexist fuck who will be his way no matter what anyone does. Yes, their existence is annoying but you guys hit on the appropriate response. Ignore them and don't interact with them. That's the end of it, IMO.

• edited February 2013
    X
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited February 2013
    "Fake geek girl" (or guy) is a poor term for what it's trying to describe, which is just someone who's being annoying and has some degree of artificiality or superficiality to his or her personality.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited February 2013
    This episode freaked me out in that it lasted, to within 10 seconds, the time it took me to start up my car, drive, and park at work.

- I hope that bit about humming TV show themes (Unsolved Mysteries) and then blowing right into the "things of the day" jingle was clever editing. I laughed.

- Pre-planned Street Fighter could be very interesting. Have you thought about starting with Yomi meets Robo Rally? Just fill up your hand and plan out a shit-load of turns.

- You guys should have IndieCade East on your meta moment radar. You could actually hit it up after that ass-early Netrunner thing. My plan is to go Saturday.

- Spot on about this being a larger issue of geeks not understanding those who only have shallow interests, and shitty sexist people latching onto that to create a "fake girl" issue. Like you said about football fans, geeks should try to shepherd the shallow fans into taking a deeper interest in your geekery. There is an appropriate XKCD comic for this.

I don't agree that this is limited to guys vs. girls, though. I've seen people hop on forums and Twitter, act outraged about a story of a geek girl getting treated like crap, and then go make snide remarks about stupid "bro gamers" who only play Call of Duty and Madden. All of a sudden those people are not "real."

There will always be shallow people who pretend to have an interest in the same thing as you but actually know nothing. There will always be shitty people who want to be the most "into" the thing they like, and will find subgroups to mock. Both exist. One should be helped, the other ignored, that's all.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Whoa, this sounds like an interesting topic. I may voluntarily listen to an episode of Geeknights!

I feel like I should surrender a card of some kind.
  • edited February 2013
    Actually listening to Geeknights? We're going to need your FRCF Gold card and your parking space back. Clear out your desk by Monday.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Every once in a while I go "I should listen to that eps of geeknights" fortunately I'm lazy so my streak is still not broken ;-p though i do enjoy listening to them 2 years later because it's fun to remember what we were doing back then.
  • My geek status was called into question at a small con I attended in December.

It became apparent I'd missed a recent episode of Doctor Who without realising it. (And of course I'm in England.)

Geek is a weird label. I don't always like what other people do with it. But I'm my own person and I know I don't need to tie my personality to labels and interests. I think that part of the geek label is associated with not believing that.
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2013
    They sit their in my itunes hopper waiting for me to listen. I neglect them like, they acuse me like a shrew wife.

Edit: I get kind of pissed off at people who do it purely for fashion reasons. Ny uni has started selling T-shirts that have"GEEK" in big letters across the front, the bar is filled with people quoting the big bang theory followed by "OMG Im such a nerd!" as they adjust their fake glasses. To me those people are fake geeks, and honking douche bags beyond that most nerd stuff is ok in my books.

2nd Edit; oh and people who fucking think JJ Abrams invented Star Trek. Fuck those guys with a massive stick.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Are there fake geeks? Probably, just like there are fake nearly everything else out there purely for marketing purposes. One example I can think of is from the movie Fear of a Black Hat, which is basically This is Spinal Tap, but replace Spinal Tap and all the other metal/hard rock stuff with rap. One of the made-up rap groups in the movie, the Jam Boys, portrayed themselves as being hardcore gangsta's from the 'hood and all that. It turns out that was all for marketing as they actually attended prep school and tried to keep their prep school backgrounds secret.

However, I think the actual number of truly "fake geeks" out there is very small. Probably even smaller if you look at the so-called "fake geek girls" attending cons. If you're actually paying your own money to attend a con and spending your own money and time to make a costume and cosplay at said con, odds are you're legitimately a fan. The only potential "fakes" are most likely booth babes and such who are paid to be there, and even then there is a non-zero chance they took the job because they honestly enjoy what they're portraying.
  • 2nd Edit; oh and people who fucking think JJ Abrams invented Star Trek. Fuck those guys with a massive stick.
    Everyone knows it was George Lucas!
  • Clearly almost nobody has listened to the episode yet. You all have only commented on the existing Internet discussion, and have not mentioned our unique point of view whatsoever.
  • Clearly almost nobody has listened to the episode yet. You all have only commented on the existing Internet discussion, and have not mentioned our unique point of view whatsoever.
    Fucking slackers.

• I'm saving it for PT.
    Aren't you the one who expressly tells people not to listen to the show?
    Of course, Do not listen. But also do not discuss if you have not listened.
    Of course, Do not listen. But also do not discuss if you have not listened.
    You don't want to be like one of those "fake GeekNights listeners."

• omg i liek totaly listen to EVER EPISODE! Lol! rim and Scot r the coolest guyz EVAR!! i luv it wen tey talk about ZELDA and Mario and Metorid! FO HAMER 4 EVER XOXOXOXO!
  • edited February 2013
    omg i liek totaly listen to EVER EPISODE! Lol! rim and Scot r the coolest guyz EVAR!! i luv it wen tey talk about ZELDA and Mario and Metorid! FO HAMER 4 EVER XOXOXOXO!
    RIGHT?! and thos 2 r soooooo yaoi for each other on teh show!! XD
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Where is smash bros video?
  • omg i liek totaly listen to EVER EPISODE! Lol! rim and Scot r the coolest guyz EVAR!! i luv it wen tey talk about ZELDA and Mario and Metorid! FO HAMER 4 EVER XOXOXOXO!
    Bro that was a SWAG 0v3rl04d!!!! Aprech and Brandon are t3h best! Look at my tumblers to see my vriew of this episode! www.beberfeaver4everz/darkpixyelf576@tumbler.co.ck.
  • Hrm... I think I know you fangirls from somewhere...
  • It's fun to see the dichotomy of our fans as time has gone on.

1. Forumites: largely don't listen to the show.

2. Fan Friends: people we know in real life who we met via them being fans of the show.

3. Straight Fans: very enthusiastic in person, never join forums.
  • It's fun to see the dichotomy of our fans as time has gone on.

1. Forumites: largely don't listen to the show.

2. Fan Friends: people we know in real life who we met via them being fans of the show.

3. Straight Fans: very enthusiastic in person, never join forums.
    4. The few freaks who listen to show and also go to forums.
  • Wait, you still do a show?