This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yeah, if you simply draw a new idea from the wastebasket of broken dreams, it's not a big deal. However, even if you assume that it allows you to draw a new comic, there are actually many possibilities.

Let me attempt to categorize them via binary questsions:
    1) Do you get to redraw before or after you have seen the other competitor's comic?
    2) If after, do you get to redraw before or after Mike and Jerry give their verdict?
    3) When you redraw, do you use the same idea again, or also draw new ideas for the new comic?
    4) Do both people get to redraw, or only one?

My thoughts:
    1) Both would work, and both are interesting in their own right. I like the idea of before, because then you're forced to evaluate your own comic without a reference point. I'm not sure which it would be.

2) Before; otherwise you could save it for when you were 100% certain to need it, which is too powerful and, more importantly, avoids forcing you to make a difficult decision - which is interesting.

I think 3+4 go hand in hand - if only you get to redraw you'll probably use the same idea, but if both players redraw, then it makes more sense if new ideas are chosen - otherwise Mike and Jerry would no longer be comparing two comics based on the same ideas.

The issue I have with redrawing using the same ideas is that you could simply use it to give yourself double the amount of time to perfect a single comic, rather than actually "redrawing".

As such, I feel like the redraw ticket may actually work more like a reset switch for the entire elimination round.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • All I can say is that all of our questions will be answered on Tuesday.
  • Guys, I really don't think it's going to be a complete redraw of a comic. If anything, they simply don't want to have the entire production sitting around for another 90 minutes so the guy can produce another comic, and then figure out how to edit all of that down into a standard show length without giving away the fact that a redraw is about to happen based on pacing.

My bet: either the wastebasket idea, or there will be some specific challenge at some point (even towards the end) where those with redraw tickets are given advantage.
  • edited April 2013
    That's a sound argument, but there are arguments on the other side that need to be weighed against it. The pacing issue is not unresolvable - you can just make two episodes, for one thing. Also, once you know what it's for, the redraw ticket doesn't rely wholly on suspense as to whether they will use it or not to be interesting.

The wastebasket idea just seems too trivial and too much of a letdown compared to some of the buildup they've done. Maybe Mike and Jerry will be able to make the wastebasket seem like a big deal during the episode, but a lot would rest on them.

As for it being an alternative challenge, that just seems like too much of a deus ex machina. Doing that would come entirely out of left field, especially given that they already said this to Katie: "a redraw ticket - something that I think you probably have a much better idea of what it's for".

Either way, I don't think there is enough information at the moment for a conclusive verdict.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, remember the redraw tickets were awarded as prizes for non-elimination challenges. Other prizes for those challenges were Cintiqs and shit. Getting a new idea from the basket is way shittier than a Cintiq. They have to be at least somewhat more powerful than that. But actually drawing the comic again is almost too powerful.
  • edited April 2013
    Here is how I think the redraw ticket will work:
    If you have a Redraw Ticket, after finishing your comic for the elimination round you get to see the other person's comic before Mike and Jerry do. Then you can decide whether you want to use the Redraw Ticket or not. If you do, both you and your opponent have another round, pick new ideas out of the basket and complete a new comic.

As for the wastebasket: a lot of making a comic is coming up with an idea for a comic. If you have an episodic or standalone comic series, like Penny Arcade for the most part is, coming up with what to make the comic about is a huge part of the process. Just listen to the old Penny Arcade downloadable content, or watch the PA: The Series episodes where they make a new comic. And that is with them sitting on their desks, reading through news articles and talking about current topics.

The wastebasket is just a shorthand for giving people an idea and a topic to work off of, because watching two people sit around and figure out what they want to make their comic about doesn't make for compelling video.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I feel like maybe it's a different challenge altogether? Like, rather than wastebasket of broken dreams, they get to do something else. If they can win that, maybe it means they for sure don't go home? But if they fail this new challenge, then they definitely lose. And they don't know what the challenge is, just that they have to draw something. But it could be anything.
    Iunno. Just wild guessing.
  • I hope it's to re-draw your opponent's comic, and you just shit all over a white piece of paper and hand it in.
  • Maybe you get to redraw a panel?
  • Monica's reaction to winning was really freaking cute.
  • I hope Maki wins. I just don't have enough of a connection with Amy.
  • I hope it's to re-draw your opponent's comic, and you just shit all over a white piece of paper and hand it in.

Approves.
  • I wound up disliking Amy even more after her little outburst. I don't know... She just always rubbed me the wrong way. And seems a little self-indulgent in her "I'm so unhappy" bits.

I do wish we saw more comic-ing, though.
  • Wait, who approves? Seneca Crane or Seneca Crane's Beard?
  • I like that Amy is from Noank, which is literally a little fishing village 30 minutes down the road from where I live... and she's holding her own despite relative inexperience on the scene. So hometown support to her. (and she went to school in RI just as I did, so mad props... serious artist crush goin on)

Anyway, like Scott, Amy an Maki are my favorites now that cool-guy Nick has passed through the Shame Hole ne'er to return... and seeing them face-off is leaving me excited and frustrated at the same time.

Monica is my #3 pick, and good on her for winning the booth.
  • Yeah, Monica has been a Dark Horse until now. She's really proven that everyone still left in the competition is a force.
  • edited April 2013
    Well, Monica was* kind of non existent until now, IMO. I always wanted to see more and I'm glad I have had the chance.

I really don't get Maki. What do you guys see in him? I'm not saying he's shit but I don't think he's the best person there in terms of cartooning.

WTF has happened to my grammar lately? >_<
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Well, Monica is kind of non existent until now, IMO. I always wanted to see more and I'm glad I have had the chance.

I really don't get Maki. What do you guys see in him? I'm not saying he's shit but I don't think he's the best person there in terms of cartooning.
    Maki is just an awesome dude. Also from Brooklyn. New York represent!
  • I knew Maki from his awesome science web comic.

http://sci-ence.org/periodic-table-element-ass/

His stuff is great.
  • In all honesty, looking at all the artists' comics, I love Monica's and Abby's the best. With Amy, I was REALLY trying to like her, but it comes across as "I'm so awkward and unhappy," and that really brings me down. But that's just my opinion.
    I want to love Lexxy as well, but her current work on her profile is just not a style I particularly get into. Unfortunately I tend to love the rough and comic-y, with lines and cell shading.
    I'm going to read Maki's stuff now. I do love me some science, if that's truly what he pushes.
  • Do all of the artists have Web-comics? I was already reading Maki's - I honestly didn't even connect that it was THAT Maki on the show.
  • Many of them do; you can see their websites if you go here and follow the links.
  • edited April 2013
    So apparently the Redraw Ticket is only to pick a new idea from the Wastebasket of Broken Dreams™. However, you can substitute either of the ideas.

Not as powerful as the audience probably initially thought, and a pretty shitty price in comparison to the other things people received (tablets and a Comic Con booth).

I think Maki's comic was much better. It actually made me laugh. In Amy's comic anything could have replaced the theme she was supposed to do. Plus she didn't spell "Gangnam style" correctly, and she gets a point deduction for throwaway pop culture reference.

Also, the scene with Jerry drinking the comic was hilarious.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • As soon as they started drawing, I knew Amy wasn't going to win. She played to win the game, which made me her fan. But in the end, all that really matters in winning the grand prize of Strip Search is the ability to make an awesome comic in 90 minutes. 7 people left. 6 weeks from now it will be over. The final few weeks will have matchups probably even more difficult as the Tavis vs. Lexxy battle. Looking forward to it.
  • edited April 2013
    Amy's comic was such a cop-out, which sucks because she has a lot of talent and the word choices were so perfect together.

Also, "Jerry's drinking my comic" is now my favourite part of the entire show.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • That was fantastic. Jerry is a champion.
  • edited April 2013
    Let's have fun and try to come up with our own comics for the challenges.

Mermaids + Ukelele

Panel 1:

A hula dancing girl is walking away from a luau along the beach. She's not happy.

Panel 2:

A mermaid comes out of the water.

Girl: "whoah! a mermaid!"
    Mermaid: "why are you so sad on this beautiful tropical beach?"

Panel 3:

Girl: "I hate my job having to dance and play the ukelele all the time. "

Panel 4:

Mermaid: "You want to come live with us under the sea? There is no dancing there."

Girl: "Absolutely!"

Panel 5 (big panel)

There mermaids are all working in an undersea ukelele factory. Funny frowny face.

Alternate Panel 5:

Joke about the girl drowning because she can't breathe under the sea. Cute drowning picture with Xes in the eyeballs.

Alternate Alternate Panel 5:

Same as the alternate panel 5 with the drowning joke, except there is also a dead fish there implying she hallucinated the mermaid.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've not clicked to page 5 in the thread as I've not seen the new Tuesday 23rd episode (is it out yet?) but here are my thoughts on the previous few episodes.

I liked seeing the discussion on who would come back to the house. I also liked seeing Amy lose it after realizing she has to do great art to win, because just "playing the game" isn't a reliable strategy when the rules of the game might change.

Clay sculpting: Maki rocked it, but I'm happy with who won.

However, this episode really shows how shoddy the TV production side of the show really is. So many of the shots were totally out of focus. The sound was all over the place, and continually too quiet. The editing was off too, because after saying "Katie wins that round" they didn't show the winning model again. That's super important!

Merch Challenge: I really liked this challenge. Some have experience at working con tables, but it showed the value of general artistry and good sense.

Tavis did well, and if he'd had price stickers on the posters on the wall behind would have done better.

Erika's table looked fine, and I liked her signs.

Amy's was too much of a copy, and without the cool signs.

Katie's price labels were top rate. Monika's table looked too full for me, but was well set out.

I think my favourite was Abby's, which was a surprise considering the way the episode was edited showed how little confidence she had in herself. However, I really liked the fact she had the entire middle of the table, from front to back, free for sketching and trade. It's important that when you sell or sign something you can push it across the to buyer, and they can then rest their bag on the table to put it away, without knocking shit too the floor. If Abby had put the price of the books at the top of the stands she used to hold the books, she would have won.

Maki's table looked shit, and I think he deserves to go up for elimination this time.

But now I have to wait until about midnight to watch the final challenge, because Juliane's got into it now and wants to see who gets knocked out. She also told me I should do a similar TV show but with jugglers.
  • Juggling reality show would be A MA ZING.
  • I am tempted to go and do my own comics for each of the challenges. Anyone want to face off? The problem is I have to mentally trust myself not to think ahead to what they will be. I almost would have to wait until the show comes out, get someone to give me the words, and then make my comic. Then after 90 minutes I can watch the episode