This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I'm looking forward to this elimination round. I want to hear Mike and Jerry complain about the tangent!

Also, it was amusing to find out that the people put up for elimination were second and third in that challenge.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • GAHHH TWO OF MY FAVORITES.
  • IT'S TANGENT TIME
  • Also, it was amusing to find out that the people put up for elimination were second and third in that challenge.
    Yes, but keep this in mind. They could have made that claim no matter who Tavis selected for the sake of drama. Without anyone witnessing the money count, how can you trust?
  • IT'S TANGENT TIME
    Friday is going to be such a funny episode, I just know it.
  • how can you trust?
    If I can't trust the good people at PA, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
  • I think Tavis did a smart move in his choosing of the elimination round. Also it's good to see no repeaters for the elimination round.

The Tangent is going to be mentioned. I honestly don't know who to root for since either aren't my top 3.

Robert Khoo was hilarious. I think everyone did a good job of what was shown. It's too bad they didn't show all the sketches the artists did. It would be cool if they did later on.

I agree with chaos, and they should have judged the artists not just by money but interactions and what not.
  • The money was supposed to be part of the judging though. If the artist did well on the interaction part of the challenge, they got tips. Personally I hope Abby can pull off a win here, it would boost her confidence.
  • Prediction: Abby's art will be what it is, and it might make Mike upset. However, her comic will be fucking hilarious resulting in a difficult decision.
  • Prediction: Abby's art will be what it is, and it might make Mike upset. However, her comic will be fucking hilarious resulting in a difficult decision.
    Did anyone else notice that it looks like Abby is the first one not to draw in the elimination digitally? Maybe she'll go to a computer after drawing it out, but in the clip it looked like she was making her comic totally physical.

• I think she was doing pure physical, which was rad. I feel that will also earn her points. I also agree with Scott, Mike will frown upon the simplicity of her art initially, but he and Jerry will find the comic hilarious.
  • It's too bad they didn't show all the sketches the artists did. It would be cool if they did later on.
    Some, though not all, are available on the spoilers page: http://penny-arcade.com/strip-search/spoilers/day-6
  • This episode is one of my favourites so far. The convention trolling was hilarious, including how the artists dealt with the trolling in different ways. I've no problem with the judges judging as they went along, doing it via the money. It was pretty clear, from the footage we saw, that Tavis was killing it. The only thing that made it weird was that Tavis didn't have much to go on to decide who the two losers would be. In the end, I think he did a pretty good job on picking who to go up for elimination.

I'm really looking forward to Abby in the elimination, and it doesn't really matter who she is up against. Her confidence is always super low, but she always comes in waaaay from last in all the challenges. I think Tavis did a good thing in putting her in this time. From looking at their web comics, Abby is consistently funnier than Erika, and I like the style of her art a bit better too. I think Abby against Tavis, Maki or Lexxy would mean she went home, against Erika I think she might make it.

This is the first elimination for both of them, and I think the first elimination with two females and no blokes.
  • I just checked for tangents. Erika's chin is pretty bad.

• Oh fuck battle of the tangents
  • ROUND 1

FIGHT!
  • But Scott, there's an INFINITE NUMBER OF TANGENTS IN THAT PICTURE!
    The fight will never end!
    :o
  • edited May 2013
    Erika has been letting herself get too distracted by Mike and Jerry.

And funny seeing Mike fixing the Abby's tangent. The interaction between Mike and Abby was really funny in general. And Abby's art was much better. However, I saw 0 humor in her strip.

I think I'm okay with Abby winning because her art impressed me, but I am kind of sad because I thought Erika would be one of the final 3, and it's weird that now two of them are eliminated.

Erika's in-car-interview was heartbreaking though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • And funny seeing Mike fixing the Abby's tangent. The interaction between Mike and Abby was really funny in general. And Abby's art was much better. However, I saw 0 humor in her strip.
    I thought Abby's comic was quite funny. I'm pretty sure though I've seen same or similar joke done before, so it wasn't the most original joke, but still funny. On the other hand, I thought that Erika's comic was the unfunny one, I saw the joke, but it just didn't amuse me.

• edited May 2013
    Abby's comic was the first one I have laughed hysterically at. That comic and Lexxi's comic are the best ones so far. Also, I don't like the poop humor, so I thought Abby won by a landslide.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited May 2013
    Abby's sass was pretty great, her comic was quite funny, and she deserved to win. My opinion of Abby has been revised up multiple levels.

"Well, unless Monica sucks. We haven't seen her in here yet."
    "Oh, come now sir. That's not likely."
    ^
    Put Monica up NOW!

Also, this is kinda common sense, but here's a nice TED talk that gives some good evidence for the impact of ripping up peoples' work in front of them:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_what_makes_us_feel_good_about_our_work.html
  • Dark horse Abby!
  • Abby has shot WAY up the charts. Here are the current power rankings as I see them.

Lexxy
    Tavis
    Abby
    Katie
    Maki
    Monica

And here are my "want to win" rankings.

Maki
    Abby
    Tavis
    Katie
    Lexxy
    Monica

I guess I'm ranking Monica at the bottom because she still hasn't hit the wastebasket. I'm sure she will go soon, and shit will get all mixed up.
  • edited May 2013
    In power rankings I'd put Maki above Katie, because even though Katie's art is very good, I feel like Maki's humour should give him the edge. Other than that, I pretty much agree, though my guess is that Monica would beat Katie and possibly Maki.
  • I didn't think Abby's was funny till I saw the bra on his head.
  • edited May 2013
    And Abby's art was much better. However, I saw 0 humor in her strip.
    I didn't think Abby's was funny till I saw the bra on his head.
    I know it may be foolish to attempt to deconstruct the humor, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Basically, the core of Abby's joke is irony. The title is "Naughty Mystery", with a subtitle of "A Sherlock Holmes adsexventure" (a great touch), while the actual happenings and dialogue of the comic are never at any point mysterious, and there is in fact no sex.

What really makes the execution work is Sherlock's stoic demeanour, which persists even when he has a bra on his head.
  • edited May 2013
    In power rankings I'd put Maki above Katie, because even though Katie's art is very good, I feel like Maki's humour should give him the edge. Other than that, I pretty much agree, though my guess is that Monica would beat Katie and possibly Maki.
    I should go find Monica's work online so I can evaluate her properly.

As for the humor in Abby's comic, it was VERY Kate Beaton.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, I should too. I was guessing based on the little information available so far from the show.
  • I know why Abby's comic was supposed to be funny. I just didn't find it funny.