This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox One Eighty

Comments

• Are you kidding? Most conventions have zero Internet in console gaming rooms. It's expensive to set up and (until now) completely unnecessary.
  • Oh. Hmm...I just assumed you could use the convention center's wireless. Interesting.

So yeah...You'd basically have to bring it back to somewhere with internet each day to make sure it still worked. A hotel room presumably.
  • edited June 2013
    Are you kidding? Most conventions have zero Internet in console gaming rooms. It's expensive to set up and (until now) completely unnecessary.
    They have a PC gaming room why couldn't they do that with Xbox? The only convention I'm referring to is PAX because that's the only one I've ever been to.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • All those individual rooms would have to be wired for it, rather than just the PC areas. That's expensive and time-consuming.

Also, wireless is basically useless in most conventions.
  • Yeah, I suppose so. Even more problems.

Whether or not these will be the worst things ever does remain to be seen, I simply remain bothered because their only purpose seems to be punishing all players for the crimes of those who would consider piracy.
  • I think this is the only forum with gamers that isn't freaking out an panicking like this is the vanguard of a 1984-style dystopia, where no privacy exists.
  • They're not stupid enough to record everything the Kinect sees. They don't have that much storage space. Also they'd get sued. A lot. A lot sued. So many sued.
  • They'd also be caught fucking IMMEDIATELY. If anyone thinks that people are not going to be capturing and sniffing every packet that comes out of that thing 24/7 from day one, then they're fucking mental. On top of the fact that it would cost Microsoft massive amounts of money, there would be ZERO utility for it.
  • Yeah. 99.9% of conversations in living rooms are of no importance to Microsoft.
  • If anyone thinks that people are not going to be capturing and sniffing every packet that comes out of that thing 24/7 from day one, then they're fucking mental. On top of the fact that it would cost the US government massive amounts of money, there would be ZERO utility for it.
    But they do it anyway :( Just thought in light of recent events how little a change makes that paragraph much different.
  • edited June 2013
    Oh Fuck off*. Once again, they'd get caught immediately which would be a fucking nightmare for them, and what use does the US government have to sit there eyeballing you in your skivvies? Oh, but potential crime prevention and terrorism prevention, of course, but what tiny fraction of petty crooks will they'll catch with that dirty great pile of court-inadmissible evidence? Less than half a percent?

Let's face it, the US government doesn't give a fuck about you, as long as you pay your taxes and don't break the law too badly. They have zero interest and negative utility in either watching you in your house, or especially subcontracting anyone else to do so - what, you think if the government wants to watch you, they won't or can't? If they wanted to be watching you, fuck Verizon, fuck Microsoft, and fuck PRISIM, they'll just fucking watch you all they like and you not only couldn't stop them, you'd never even know.

*- Expression of incredulity and noting your statement as untrue. Like calling bullshit. Actual fucking off not necessary.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • All those individual rooms would have to be wired for it, rather than just the PC areas. That's expensive and time-consuming.

Also, wireless is basically useless in most conventions.
    This. I work in Console Freeplay pretty much every PAX, and almost none of the consoles are actually online. We have a few that we set up for system link play, but anything more would be a huge hassle. I'm actually kind of worried about the inability of switching disks (playing the same disk on different systems), since that would throw a huge wrench into our current workflow. I'm sure something will be figured out, but it's still a pain.
  • Actually the way they describe the way your account now works (10 sub accounts In the 'family') the X-One should be cheaper as a convention system. It sounds like up to ten systems can share a single copy of a game.
  • Sure, but only for an hour before they all go into lockdown.
  • Sure, but only for an hour before they all go into lockdown.
    Unless you have an internet connection. It just re-authorities YOU(not everybody) every hour, it doesn't stop you playing while doing so, and it doesn't say anywhere(well, anywhere except reddit, where they're essentially spinning some crazy 1984 conspiracy theory shit that's entirely fictional) that it will lock everyone down after an hour.

That's still kinda shitty, but there's no need to start making it bigger than it is.
  • Also, Gamefly would likely go out of business. all Sony has to do is not have any of this authentication bull and they win the console wars, but I have a feeling we're about a new rush to PC gaming.
  • edited June 2013
    Also, Gamefly would likely go out of business. all Sony has to do is not have any of this authentication bull and they win the console wars, but I have a feeling we're about a new rush to PC gaming.
    A lot of people have that feeling, but I don't think so. Most of the people who were going to buy the console are just going to buy it anyway, or buy a PS4, while a tiny fraction of the internet rages themselves into a coma about it, forgets about it in six months, and then buys one too. You'll see a small bump, and then once the conspiracy theory nonsense and all the rest of this little storm in a teacup blows over, it's back to business as usual.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • From everything I've read and seen about it, Microsoft has lost me as a future customer in the console market. I'll never buy one, mostly due to the draconian internet connectivity/you never really own your games thing. I know there have been comparisons to Steam, but i can still play my single player steam games if my internet is out. It seems like they are trying to punish the entirety of the console gaming community in order to try and stop pirates, who will likely break into the systems within days. The seemingly hostile attitude, plus the terrible attempt to spin it as a benefit, plus all the tv/sports shit that i couldn't possibly care less about, plus the useless ADD inspired 'apps', and the fact that I could build a PC for less that does more means I'm out of their reach now. They literally did everything they could to alienate me as a consumer.
  • I was watching Angry Joe's 2nd Rant on the Xbox One, where he made a great point where all of the features that they highlight are actually restrictions. Seriously, why would you open huge presentation like that with mostly negatives?

It felt like Microsoft wanted to destroy GameStop, but thought the only way to do so was to destroy every potential retail/used gaming store in the process.
  • Thing is, they don't want to destroy Gamestop. They're probably now getting money from Gamestop so that Gamestop can be a "Participating retail store."
  • Thing is, they don't want to destroy Gamestop. They're probably now getting money from Gamestop so that Gamestop can be a "Participating retail store."
    Which will make all next gen used games more expensive, and not worth it.

• Probably. Gamestop will lose profits. And then they'll stop taking most games and setting up the trade-in programs.
    It's all about the money. I guess that's why it bugs me so much.
  • I had forgotten about GameFly. Yeah, this new system of only being able to lend a game out once and not playing from the disc pretty much kills GameFly.

My PS3 works great as a media device and I hardly ever use it for gaming so I see no reason to purchase a PS4 unless it is somehow super awesome. If PS4 supports the new 4K standard (and that standard gains some traction) it might get a sale from me if it becomes cheaper than buying a media player (that is partly why I bought my PS3 originally).

The Wii U does not have these restrictions but it also lacks games and is not much more powerful than the current gen systems. Granted once you hit HD as a console there is not much further to go. You can add special lighting effects and such but I don't think console gamers really care about that as much as PC gamers do.
  • @Churba - I wasn't saying they actually harvest data from Xbozes, just that there's way too much funny business going on. What use do they have collecting every phone record?
  • @Churba - I wasn't saying they actually harvest data from Xbozes, just that there's way too much funny business going on. What use do they have collecting every phone record?
    I don't know. But that's a different case - I can see potential uses for it for the government, some legit, some not. It's probably to expedite some investigation or another, since they've always had the ability to pull individual phone records, it's just slower and more work.

I'm still yet to see ANY convincing use case for the data they'd get from watching/listening on people's Xbones, especially considering they'd get better data from other sources and methods.
  • Good luck finding a PC that can run them at the higher settings.
  • edited June 2013
    Good luck finding a PC that can run them at the higher settings.
    The console cycle locks the system requirements of every console game that makes its way onto the PC to the console's specs. Better PC components come out annually (if not more often), while a better console only comes out almost every decade.

Now, Microsoft's consoles basically run Windows with a slick interface, so any Xbox game worth having will make it to PC. This is in contrast to Sony, who still has a proprietary platform that companies are developing intriguing games for, and who has a tremendous back-catalog of material to offer up. Compare: what first-gen Xbox exclusive games would you play these days? What PSX/PS2 games?

The result is that within a financial quarter of the Xboner's release, there will be cheap-as-fuck HTPCs that do everything the One does, but better and without the hindrances of the Xbox platform. Since the One is already specced and designed, the cheap HTPC components necessary to run this shit better will probably be out by the time the One is.

Pack it up and go on home, dudes. The show's over.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • For such unexciting news, what a response....