This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kill la Kill

Comments

• edited October 2013
    stuff
    Uncanny adherence to the plot complexities. I honestly thought I was watching the next episode.
    Also - WTF?!
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • edited October 2013
    Not bad, but I'm talking points off for "henshin scene".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Episode 4 made the show grow on me a bit more with the comedy, but I hate the message with the girls clothes and shame.

Other shows, like the the magical girl genre, do use sexuality and femininity as a tool for empowerment. This show, using male gaze and using it way too much for any anime, mocks that.

Its hard to truly like this series.
  • edited October 2013
    Viga said:

Other shows, like the the magical girl genre, do use sexuality and femininity as a tool for empowerment. This show, using male gaze and using it way too much for any anime, mocks that.

Wut? Have you paid any attention to basically anything Satsuki says? Specifically about her ambitions and not showing any shame? Or the whole "GET NAKED" speech from Mako pointing out that Ryuuko does not need to be embarrassed of her body. Yeah, it deliberately goes utterly bonkers with the "buzz words" nonsense to show clearly that despite all that, Ryuuko and Satsuki are made stronger. They are driven by their goals.

The show quite obviously points out that you're not going to change nature, i.e. the teenaged hormone-ridden male students going crazy over tits and ass. When Ryuuko was embarrased and worried about all that she was weaker and knocked unconscious (which resulted in the worse moments of the show). Once she ignored everything she became strong enough to fight against Satsuki, and as they duel all those ogling dudes get blown the fuck away. LITERALLY!

Screw using sexuality and femininity as tools for empowerment. That shit's sexist. Use that what makes you human, equal to every other human, as tool for empowerment. So that you may reach greater heights. You know... equality/egalitarianism instead of feminism.

It's really hard to truly dislike the awkward parts of this series.

EDIT: I'll probably regret all I've said tomorrow morning after I wake up. Good fucking night!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Not nine said:

Viga said:

Wut? Have you paid any attention to basically anything Satsuki says? Specifically about her ambitions and not showing any shame? Or the whole "GET NAKED" speech from Mako pointing out that Ryuuko does not need to be embarrassed of her body. Yeah, it deliberately goes utterly bonkers with the "buzz words" nonsense to show clearly that despite all that, Ryuuko and Satsuki are made stronger. They are driven by their goals.

The show quite obviously points out that you're not going to change nature, i.e. the teenaged hormone-ridden male students going crazy over tits and ass. When Ryuuko was embarrased and worried about all that she was weaker and knocked unconscious (which resulted in the worse moments of the show). Once she ignored everything she became strong enough to fight against Satsuki, and as they duel all those ogling dudes get blown the fuck away. LITERALLY!

Screw using sexuality and femininity as tools for empowerment. That shit's sexist. Use that what makes you human, equal to every other human, as tool for empowerment. So that you may reach greater heights. You know... equality/egalitarianism instead of feminism.

It's really hard to truly dislike the awkward parts of this series.

EDIT: I'll probably regret all I've said tomorrow morning after I wake up. Good fucking night!
    No no, I think you have it.
    In fact, I hadn't even realized that the background visuals (in this case: the ogling dudes getting literally blown away) had an important part to play. Usually that sort of thing is present just for the sake of consistent style, I think.
    The future's history will hopefully vindicate you or we'll both look like asses.
  • Here's the thing about KLK and its cheesecake/nakedness/sexytimes/sexism.

Within the world of the show itself, it's totally ok. The nakedness has a meaning and a purpose. It's not like some scantily clad fighting game character where it makes no sense for them to wear almost nothing. It's actually the entire point of the show's message.

But, on the other hand we don't live in the KLK world. Regardless of what the show is about, it's an animation made in the year 2013. The creators are people who live in this world. They made the show with that theme intentionally. They could have made a show about something else. Human beings again chose to design female cartoon characters to be all sexy fanservicy. Just because they have validated that fanservice internal to the fiction of the show, that has absolutely no bearing on its place in the real world.

That said, just because it has distasteful fanservice, rape jokes, etc. I'm not going to stop watching it. Because the show is good enough despite those negative aspects. It's really no different than going to PAX despite Krahulik. It's just every so slightly disappointing. With WLA Trigger has shown they are capable of making a great show without those aspects. They could have made a different show just as good as KLK that wasn't about nakedness.
  • Holy shit, guys, you're really overthinking this. This show is written by a bunch of guys sitting around a table going "wouldn't it be crazy if then THIS happened?".
  • Trigger is comprised of former Gainax employees. Which has a history of knowing how to work their fanbase. You are being a bit premature in dismissing their show as just a bunch of guys making up shit as they go along.
  • Greg said:

Holy shit, guys, you're really overthinking this. This show is written by a bunch of guys sitting around a table going "wouldn't it be crazy if then THIS happened?".

You could be right, but so many things become boring or at the very least less interesting when treated that way. Sure, we want to avoid reading too much into it, but we also want to avoid ignoring everything below the skin. Some of the themes might be barely clothed, but that doesn't mean they should be discounted or that we shouldn't at least entertain discussion of what more there could be.
  • Sure, we want to avoid reading too much into it, but we also want to avoid ignoring everything below the skin. Some of the themes might be barely clothed, but that doesn't mean they should be discounted or that we shouldn't at least entertain discussion of what more there could be.

I'm done.
  • Greg said:

I'm done.

I won't lie, I absolutely worked those in on purpose.
  • The Avengers la Kill. I lost it!
  • Also that last image:
  • edited November 2013
    That was really solid. I love it when villains get stronger.

That is, when they actually get stronger, instead of it turning out that they were holding back. That said, "I Am Not Left-Handed" is not that bad a trope; it's just overused.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Apreche said:

It's really no different than going to PAX despite Krahulik.

Never been to PAX. Please explain.
  • 1) PAX is awesome.
    2) Mike Krahulik has said some bigoted things.
  • edited November 2013

1) PAX is awesome.
    3) Mike Krahulik has said some bigoted things.

3) A lot of people think that we shouldn't be supporting Mike financially by going to PAX.

Anyways, I thought this was a really solid episode. Particularly in the interactions between Satsuki and Sangeyama. Sangeyama's transformation sequence certainly didn't lose it any points either.
    Also, Imaishi and his writing team continue to have pretty tight pacing.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Speaking of similarities between KLK and Utena, I'm surprised nobody brought up that laugh from episode 4.

You know the one.

It haunts my dreams.
  • edited November 2013
    HO LY FUCK

This weeks episode was fucking incredible.

SEN I SOSHITSU!

I'm saying it. Best single episode of anime to be created since Madoka 10.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Saw The Wind Rises at the theater last night instead of KLK. I guess I have to watch it now as soon as I get home.
  • Urgh, now this is going to be the longest, most arduous, day at work yet.
  • edited November 2013
    That episode was excellent. Five for you, Studio TRIGGER. You go, Studio TRIGGER.
  • Next episode: Gamagoori learns to drive.
    I have hope that this will be better than Goku learning to drive.
  • Blasphemy.
  • edited November 2013
    I for one am definitely looking forward to next episode.
    Also, this episode was kind of missing one thing: it really could have used some ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA.
  • I for one am definitely looking forward to next episode.
    Also, this episode was kind of missing one thing: it really could have used some ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA.

It was masked by the sound of glistening, manly tears.
  • Finally got around to watching it after finishing Attack on Titan yesterday. 5 minutes in and the verdict is that this show is just absolutely awesome.
  • Bighuge list of references in Kill la Kill.