This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• Metacritic is killing the PC version of Watchdogs.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Metacritic is killing the PC version of Watchdogs.

Really? Because it's pretty fucking good. Metascore is pretty high, at 81. Are you sure it's not people being dumbasses because the Uplay servers are trying to melt themselves into slag, or talking shit to jump on the bandwagon?
  • Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

Metacritic is killing the PC version of Watchdogs.

Really? Because it's pretty fucking good. Metascore is pretty high, at 81. Are you sure it's not people being dumbasses because the Uplay servers are trying to melt themselves into slag, or talking shit to jump on the bandwagon?
    Most of the legible negative reviews are:

A) gets old after an hour.
    B) the game will not let me be creative in my hacking.
    C) crappy console port.
    D) driving is like riding a greased pig on an icy road with a steering wheel covered in Vaseline.
    E) graphics are not next gen/why are the graphic requirements so damn high?

B interests me because I have had issues with previous Ubisoft games limiting my ability to creatively pass areas. D has been stated multiple times and seems to be far worse on PC.

• edited May 2014
    B is pretty dumb - you have points where you can perform actions, and that's that. The world is covered in them, everywhere, to be used in various combinations. We've known this for AGES. What, did they expect you to be able to fire up Metasploit or Kobold and just go cruising for vulnerabilities? Basically, if people are saying that, I doubt they've played the game. Or they just suck at games.

The answer to D is basically No. The handling is nothing to write home about, but it's not bad, just nothing special. I'd rate it roughly even with GTA 4, maybe a little lower at the worst. I'll chalk that one down to the usual hyperbole - It's either the best thing ever, or it's literally being waterboarded by Hitler's ballsweat. There's no room for "It's okay" when you're trying to play critic and think that means "shit on everything".

C is moronic, and has been claimed about every game ever. There's fucking dickheads saying X:Rebirth is a console port, for god's sake, the game didn't even come out on console.

E is just as stupid. "Oh, it's not next gen" - Er, how so? You can crank that fucker up to ultra, and run it at 4K. If your computer can't handle that, that doesn't mean the game isn't next gen. I mean, I'm running it on high on a 5 year old machine that was never the biggest beast in the world when it was new, the fuck is going wrong with their machine?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Are you playing on PC or console?
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Are you playing on PC or console?

PC, I mentioned that in an edit though, so you mustn't have caught it before it changed. And as an extra bit of info, I'm using a controller, rather than Keyboard and mouse. Same setup I use in basically every 3rd person action game, though.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Where's, "F) It's not the messiah that marketing promised us"?
  • ThatGent said:

Where's, "F) It's not the messiah that marketing promised us"?

I don't think it's fair to call them out on that when that's basically every AAA title in the last decade.
  • Churba said:

ThatGent said:

I don't think it's fair to call them out on that when that's basically every AAA title in the last decade.
    Except Fallout 3. I still play that game. Come to think of it, all of Bethesda's open world RPG games have that quality. I probably have over 1,000 hours invested in Fallout 3 alone.

• Churba said:

ThatGent said:

Sorry, I intnded to refer to most of the negative reviewers spouting that statement.
  • I am holding off on completing my Watch Dogs preorder based on Churba's final analysis.
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Except Fallout 3. I still play that game. Come to think of it, all of Bethesda's open world RPG games have that quality. I probably have over 1,000 hours invested in Fallout 3 alone.

Fair enough, fallout 3 was really good. So was New Vegas, for that matter.
    HMTKSteve said:

I am holding off on completing my Watch Dogs preorder based on Churba's final analysis.

Well, here's an update - I just made it through the first act, about to start the second, so we're through the setup(walking around, learning the systems, cracking the sads about your dead kid, meeting your surviving family, so on), into the meat now. The story is a little rote, but not poorly done. Jordi Chin is my favorite character so far, just a cheerful, wise-cracking, self-aware sociopath - but of all the characters we've seen in the marketing materiel, I've only met Jordi and the Hacker lass with the tattoos.

The AR games are interesting, the Digital trips are pretty cool. Hacking in combinations is initially tricky to get a handle on, since it's different in that aspect to just about every other game I've played previously, but once you start thinking in that way, it becomes a lot more fun - it becomes almost puzzle-like, when you're trying to stealth through sections, though you could shoot your way through them too. You also come across some cool random stuff, like being able to hack roadsigns, and the first tangible effect of the rep system came up - I hacked one and it said "Honk if you love The Vigilante", and a bunch of people started honking horns.

The reputation system doesn't have much impact, at least so far, so not much to say about it. Combat is pretty tight, and it often pits you against a decent number of enemies from the start. Driving is pretty generic, but you can get some pretty smooth moves going on once you get a handle on how cars behave. Music can be a little annoying, but it's not bad by any means. It's easy to turn off if you don't like it, though, or to exclude single songs if you don't like them in particular.

Invasions are cool, but optional - I've only been invaded twice so far, and won both times. First guy got scared when I walked past him and bolted, so I shot him. The other chap was more sneaky, and hid behind a building in a car, making it hard to locate him - but he parked in a weird, non-ai way with the nose against a building and his car still running, so I snuck up right near him, used the built-in voip to say "You're illegally parked, mate" and shot him as he started to back out. If you opt out, you don't lose much, but it is a cool feature, so I'll keep it on.

Finally, a lot of people are talking about how it's a compressed Chicago, and I don't doubt that, but it's still a very big world. I've rarely ventured off the main island - but unlike the GTA games, it doesn't lock you out from the other areas until you've progressed to an arbitrary point in the story.

More later. Questions welcome if you've got any.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Do the invasions have an impact on your playing of the game? If you are doing a story mission can the invasion impact anything? What if you ignore the invader?
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Do the invasions have an impact on your playing of the game? If you are doing a story mission can the invasion impact anything? What if you ignore the invader?

Sort of - if you're just cruising somewhere, and get invaded, you can stop and deal with it, or just roll on. I don't know what happens if you just ignore it, since I've not done so yet - I will, the next time I'm invaded, and get back to you.

You can't get invaded when you're in a mission, be it a side mission or a story mission. You can only get invaded when you're just roaming around between missions. The only time that rule is broken, is when the mechanic is introduced - you go to start a mission, the little interaction circle fills, you pick up your phone for the intro call, and then his phone goes a little haywire, he has some dialog about it, you go deal with the invader(who I never figured out if that particular invader was real, or just an AI-controlled fake for example's sake and to introduce the mechanic in a predictable fashion), and then you get back to the previous point and start the mission proper.

You also get little popups as you're cruising around about opportunities to go invade someone else's game, but they're entirely optional - if you don't hit the button, they just go away.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Does the appearance of an invader prevent you from accessing the next story mission? Can you be 30 seconds from the next mission location and an invader jumps in your game causing you to have to deal with them before you can continue your game?
  • From what I've heard and seen the invasion stuff in Wach Underscore Dogs seems pretty cool. Like an simplified two player version of Assassin's Creed's multiplayer. And when I put it like that it seems a bit less cool.
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Does the appearance of an invader prevent you from accessing the next story mission? Can you be 30 seconds from the next mission location and an invader jumps in your game causing you to have to deal with them before you can continue your game?

I don't think so - A purple circle will appear on your map, usually nearby, when you're being invaded. I don't think it stops you from entering a mission except if you have the bad luck of the invasion circle marker thingy covering the mission start point. BUT - I'm not sure. Again, I'll try it out next I'm invaded.

Also, they've a system that they refer to as your "Shield", which is not an obvious or even visible gameplay system, but if you don't go out and hack other people, or take certain provocative actions(which are explained in-game before you have to deal with them - along with being quite rare) then the time between invasions gets longer and longer. You're never completely out of the system unless you turn it off, but it apparently can get to the point where you can play for hours at a stretch, and not see an invader.
    Apsup said:

From what I've heard and seen the invasion stuff in Wach Underscore Dogs seems pretty cool. Like an simplified two player version of Assassin's Creed's multiplayer. And when I put it like that it seems a bit less cool.

I like how it underscores the whole deal and subverts the whole "You're the only guy who can do all this magical hackery stuff" thing. There's other hackers out there in the world, and it gives the impression of a bigger, deeper world than just the slice you get playing through Aiden's story - even though the other people who are doing this to you(or you're doing these things to) are experiencing the exact same thing.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I read the invasions arent entirely optional sorta; you get skills and stuff from successful hacks/defense, and they'll get reset if you turn off the MP features. I like that tho!! It looks like the whole thing isn't that much of an inconvenience anyway, so if you're not competitive you don't really have to care about getting hacked.
  • edited June 2014
    johndis said:

I read the invasions arent entirely optional sorta; you get skills and stuff from successful hacks/defense, and they'll get reset if you turn off the MP features. I like that tho!! It looks like the whole thing isn't that much of an inconvenience anyway, so if you're not competitive you don't really have to care about getting hacked.

Nah, they're optional. That's only a specific five skills which are honestly not terribly useful outside of multiplayer, for the most part. Some of them don't even apply in single-player.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So Oculus is showing off a demo of Aliens Isolation at E3 this year. I got to try it and it's quite possibly the scariest experience I've ever had. Much excite for the future!
  • Really unsure about Nintendo's figure plans (Amiibo). For Smash Bros., it unlocks a custom version of the character that you can then level up, change the moves, give it equipment, etc. All I gotta say is that if you show up at my house expecting to play with your Level 50 toy, you'll be shown the door.
  • The skylanders merge with Smash Bros bothers me on multiple levels.
  • Is it made of solid mahogany that you are so proud of this door?

The figurines are mostly harmless as long as it isn't required to unlock any meaningful content or is capable of interrupting tournament play. Although it does sound kind of fun to disillusion children by walking around with a programmable RFID chip.
  • I think I'd like to play Habitat .

It is a strategic space survival game where you have to build and manage the future homes of humanity from orbital debris that you find in space junkyards surrounding Earth’s orbit.

Leading your team of engineers, you will have to build and fly your space stations in a zero gravity setting, mastering physics driven flight simulation to explore the space around you. In order to thrive and grow you have to manage your population and their environment. In the event of a threat get creative and turn your space stations into deadly weapons using pieces of debris you pick up such as rockets, lasers and particle accelerators to fight and ultimately survive against attacks from the enemy. This is a space survival game where crisis is guaranteed and your only chance for survival is to be creative and decisive in the face of disaster.
  • Space dwarf fortress? Yes please.
  • Oh god...please let this game not suck.
    Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade
    MMOFPS, F2P, microtransaction supported.
    Cautious, shaky optimism.