This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2015

Comments

• VentureJ said:

It's fascinating how culturally different the north is from the south, since we're all very much used to driving around everywhere down here. It's interesting to hear people complain about a 5-10 minute drive, which is practically nothing to us.

Under normal circumstances, I have no issue with a drive of that length (though getting into the 5 minute or less range, lately I've been just walking instead). But conventions are very different, there's lots of people and traffic concentrated in one area. Your car is often parked 6 levels up/down in the garage. There's no where to park at near by restaurants, because everyone had the same idea. Etc etc...

It's just a hassle, I prefer to not move my car once I get to a convention.
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah conventions are no place for vehicular transport. Maybe a shuttle between some of the satellite hotels and a downtown area... But even then it's much better without any kind of transportation headaches.

Plus it's always good to get a drink or two with a group and know there's no one driving.

If I'm at home I don't mind driving 5, 10, 15 minutes somewhere for food or whatever. The only effort is putting on shoes.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I'm suddenly curious if there will be a PAX forumer pub crawl for south and what it will be themed...
  • OH SNAP, San Antonio is eligible for half-off flights using my miles.
  • I have badges and a room so... I suppose I'm going to this instead of MAGFest unless I decide not to
  • I got a room, as we'll probably go to do a lecture or two.
  • Picked up a full set of Badges, and a hotel room at the Grand Hyatt!
  • Weekend badge & hotel get.

I have never experienced a "new" PAX and want to have that experience.
  • I have a badge and will need a room. I might submit an rpg panel.
  • Wow, my room rate was a steal compared to OnPeak. Got Marriott Riverwalk for $110 at federal gov't employee rate a few months back. $199 with OnPeak.
  • I got into the buy page, considered buying a 3 day, but then realized that I probably won't go in any capacity anyway.
  • Ok if Lyddi and Andy are going, I will confirm on this. Now, to get time off....
  • Is this your first time in Texas, Ro? If so, then you GOTTA check out the local BBQ joints down there!
  • Wow, suddenly everyone's bailing on MAGFest for PAX South. What a world.
  • Matt said:

Wow, my room rate was a steal compared to OnPeak. Got Marriott Riverwalk for $110 at federal gov't employee rate a few months back. $199 with OnPeak.

How does one get that rate? I'm a gubment employee as well and no one has ever told me about a perk like that
  • I only went to MAGFest since I was in the area anyways. It's not a con I would travel to specifically for the event.
  • Dromaro said:

Matt said:

Wow, my room rate was a steal compared to OnPeak. Got Marriott Riverwalk for $110 at federal gov't employee rate a few months back. $199 with OnPeak.

How does one get that rate? I'm a gubment employee as well and no one has ever told me about a perk like that
    You go to the Marriott website. You check "government rate" in the box. You get the rate. You bring your CAC ID in case they challenge it when you check in.

Also, you guys who don't want to pay for flight: United Mileage Plus credit card. 30k mile sign-on bonus. Flights to San Antonio are up for "Saver Award" fares, 12,500 miles each leg. FREE FLIGHT.

• Got a day pass for Saturday. ☺
  • I got three day passes as 3 days were gone when I got there. Now to delay the computer a bit to get hotel/flights locked in or put those off...
  • edited July 2014
    We will probably be magfesting, pending who's still going. Have fun in Texas.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Still going to MAGfest.

We could turn it into MAGweek and touristy stuff in DC.
  • Wyatt said:

Still going to MAGfest.

We could turn it into MAGweek and touristy stuff in DC.

*fist bump
  • Wyatt said:

Still going to MAGfest.

• I'll be driving up to SA from Corpus. Almost my entire family will be going. Should be interesting :)
  • It appears the pax south v MAGFest drama increased when MaSu is performing there again. Scott has a hard decision to make.
  • How is that hard, didn't he see them last year?
  • Also drama is only created by people who want that sort of thing. No drama. Pick one and go to it, don't regret not going to the other.
  • Coldguy said:

It appears the pax south v MAGFest drama increased when MaSu is performing there again. Scott has a hard decision to make.

Guess it's an annual thing now. See them in 2016!