This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2015

Comments

• Well that drama ship sank awfully fast.
  • And then MaSu never went to MAGFest again.
  • And then MaSu never went to MAGFest again.

I've got a long life ahead of me, and I've already crossed that shit off my bucket list. I waited 10+ years to see them in the first place. Waiting 2 or more is no biggie.
  • Next PAX is best PAX. Let the countdown begin anew.

I'm going to put in for [E] on this one. Best way to help spread PAX to a new city, and I want to keep Enforcing once each year. It's unclear whether I'll make it to East less than 2 months later, and if I do, it will probably be with the wife and kid, who I would not want to ditch for a big chunk of each day.
  • Does anyone have a three day badge they would be willing to part with? The new misses wants to go to South with me so we are making plans. Good to go save getting her a badge. She said she'd be happy to only go two days but eff that noise.
  • On the fence if I want to [E] this one. I was [E] for the first PAX East, but not Prime.
  • Coldguy said:

It appears the pax south v MAGFest drama increased when MaSu is performing there again. Scott has a hard decision to make.

Have you met Scott? He's said he would skip his own wedding to go to PAX.
  • He also said that he saw MS live once and can be happy if he doesn't see them again
  • If you want to [E]nforce at PAX South, now is the time to take up the... orange?

http://south.paxsite.com/enforcers
  • Panel submissions are also up!
  • Flights booked.
  • Jet Blue only flies into Austin and not San Antonio. (T_T)
  • Rochelle said:

Jet Blue only flies into Austin and not San Antonio. (T_T)

Oh crap.
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Jet Blue only flies into Austin and not San Antonio. (T_T)

Oh crap.
    Ok Southwest goes there from LGA, not JFK... But the flights are $143 each way! SO CHEAP.
  • Everything about PAX South is so cheap. This is going to be the least expensive PAX of all time.
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah Southwest going in on Wednesday is $100 cheaper than Thursday. I'm thinking of flying in on Wednesday and using my free points at a Holiday Inn before Pence comes in on Thursday.

Edit: Oh shit. I have enough Southwest Airline points from my trips to Baltimore (that my work paid for) that qualifies me for at least one free flight.

:D

Edit 2: Upon further review. Jeremy can transfer me his points to where one of us flies for free. Need to look more into it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I take all my free airmiles flights paid for by work trips!
  • Looks like my best option is United, with a 1-hour layover in Dallas. Still, only $300 for a round trip.
  • Myself and a friend won't be getting to our hotel until around 10PM on Thursday night, just prior to PAX, which is unfortunate, but at least we're getting there at all, and don't have to leave until late Monday morning.

I also wound up getting a free flight for both of us, which is the first time in my life this has ever happened. I have traveled a small but modest amount during my 8 years of employment, sometimes as much as 25-30 nights in a year. The thing is, it's all pre-negotiated contract city pairings with government travel, so I have little flexibility to chose my airline, and I'm not often going to the same cities. Means I've got a pittance of miles with every single airline! I think I only got to free flight status by all of the airlines gobbling each other up and merging my miles.

The kicker was that I wound up signing up for the US Air credit card to get "no expiration date" status on these miles, while also getting a 30k mile bonus for spending a thousand bucks, paying it off, and keeping the card in my safe. I thought I would need that 30k to get a free flight, but Newark NJ to San Antonio is a "SuperSaver Special" and free flights are 50% less miles, so we're both flying for free!
  • I take all my free airmiles flights paid for by work trips!

Yeah. I was in Baltimore for 11 weeks total (5 weeks in February-March & 6 weeks from May - June) at stayed at the Holiday Inn. My worked paid for everything even though it was under my name and still earn reward points.

I have 103k reward points. Nights average from 20k-25k a night. My trips to Baltimore are making PAX South cheaper for me. Thank you, job!
  • Anyone looking for a roommate? I'm in Thursday and out Monday.
  • I already talked to okeefe, and we've got him covered.

Time to get excited for South! I might be flying in on Wednesday because holy crap hotels are cheap in San Antonio in January.
  • Yep, let's get the hype train started.
  • Flights books and hotel reserved for one free night on Wednesday for Pence, Jeremy, and myself! After purchasing some extra points for Jeremy then transferring it my Southwest Rapid Rewards Account, we saved a little over $100 on flights. No complaints here!

Awe yeah. PAX South. So, Pence, go ahead and cancel that Wednesday night at the Marriott. Let's save $40/each. ^_~
  • I went to check the prices; it would be a roughly $2000 round trip for me, I think. I'm actually considering it...
  • edited November 2014
    Come to think of it, if I'd started my Master's earlier and/or had the right goals in mind I could probably have written a paper for and obtained funding for going to AAAI, and that would've lined up pretty fucking well. Too late for that now, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • My lady and I will be flying in early Thursday and flying out very late Sunday. I can't wait to see you guys again. It's been too long!

What games do we need to be keen on the rules of to maximize PAX time?
  • Dromaro said:

My lady and I will be flying in early Thursday and flying out very late Sunday. I can't wait to see you guys again. It's been too long!

What games do we need to be keen on the rules of to maximize PAX time?

That's a really great question that nobody asks. Learning games in advance is am excellent way to prepare for PAX. Here are some that are likely to be played.

Hanabi, Pandante, Marakech, splendor, 7 Wonders with all expansions, sushi go, wizard, netrunner, hansa teutonica, hive, spot it, Tigris and Euphrates. Anyone else go more?

It can never hurt to learn a whole bunch of games.
  • So, Jeremy, looks like we are bringing those games sans Wizard unless we buy it before then.

So sayeth The Rubin.
  • Don't just learn Splendor, learn speed Splendor ^_~