This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2015

Comments

• Rochelle said:

So, Jeremy, looks like we are bringing those games sans Wizard unless we buy it before then.

So sayeth The Rubin.

Rym bought two wizards.
  • Was it these two?
    If so, I think he probably got a raw deal.
  • Go on ro, buy it. Wizards is sick as hell.
  • Apreche said:

Dromaro said:

My lady and I will be flying in early Thursday and flying out very late Sunday. I can't wait to see you guys again. It's been too long!

What games do we need to be keen on the rules of to maximize PAX time?

That's a really great question that nobody asks. Learning games in advance is am excellent way to prepare for PAX. Here are some that are likely to be played.

Hanabi, Pandante, Marakech, splendor, 7 Wonders with all expansions, sushi go, wizard, netrunner, hansa teutonica, hive, spot it, Tigris and Euphrates. Anyone else go more?

It can never hurt to learn a whole bunch of games.
    If it's just studying rules in the day or two before PAX, I would say that's probably the max number of games one can grasp before the brain turns to rulebook-reading mush.

I would question Netrunner. If someone isn't going to get into it competitively, is there a reason to learn how to play a basic casual deck? I have done this and it is a very cool game, but someone could learn several board games in that time.

If I was making a list of "games to learn" it would be much like yours, a mix of classics and new hotness. I would add Istanbul to the hotness side of that list. I think the PAX library got several copies.

• I think Scott's reasons for suggesting Netrunner may be a little biased.

Also, if you learn Hanabi, learn it properly. Don't play it the way sK0pe/Prad tells me he does, where it breaks down to a game of signaling via social cues...
  • I think Scott's reasons for suggesting Netrunner may be a little biased.

Also, if you learn Hanabi, learn it properly. Don't play it the way sK0pe/Prad tells me he does, where it breaks down to a game of signaling via social cues...

Still works better than my Small World method of signaling, where social cues are replaced with vague text messages.

• Matt said:

Apreche said:

Dromaro said:

My lady and I will be flying in early Thursday and flying out very late Sunday. I can't wait to see you guys again. It's been too long!

What games do we need to be keen on the rules of to maximize PAX time?

That's a really great question that nobody asks. Learning games in advance is am excellent way to prepare for PAX. Here are some that are likely to be played.

Hanabi, Pandante, Marakech, splendor, 7 Wonders with all expansions, sushi go, wizard, netrunner, hansa teutonica, hive, spot it, Tigris and Euphrates. Anyone else go more?

If it's just studying rules in the day or two before PAX, I would say that's probably the max number of games one can grasp before the brain turns to rulebook-reading mush.

I would question Netrunner. If someone isn't going to get into it competitively, is there a reason to learn how to play a basic casual deck? I have done this and it is a very cool game, but someone could learn several board games in that time.

If I was making a list of "games to learn" it would be much like yours, a mix of classics and new hotness. I would add Istanbul to the hotness side of that list. I think the PAX library got several copies.

I'm just listing the games that are going to be played by us. Andrew started playing some Netrunner, and I know other Netrunner peoples that will be there.
  • Actually we don't own Tigris or Hive. Don't plan to either. Probably won't bring Spot It. I've learned to not bring as many games, unlike Jeremy.
  • Matt said:
    I would join the ranks but MAGFest and money are holding me back.
  • BTW, East badges have turned to "SOON"
  • Yesssss Netrunner
  • Hmm. I may have to brush up on my skills and decks that I currently have for fun. It's a low chance, but perhaps. It is a solid game, but that whole free time.
  • Matt said:
    I'd totally pull a last-minute "Let's do this" if it weren't the first week of classes. And I had money.
  • Hmmm... I'm going to have to think about PAX East whether I'm going to go or not.. I really enjoyed it last year... but I promised that I'd cut a convention out and PAX East was going to be it. (Connecticon (staff), Zenkaikon (staff), Magfest (just fun no staffing) being my yearly allotment)
  • Apreche said:

I'll bring Phoenicia, but don't bother learning the rules from the rulebook. It's remarkably poor.

I'm likely to have Roll for the Galaxy by PAX, which Ro might like better than Race...

Pandante, Netrunner, and T&E will happen.
  • I may Enforce South. Certain people were prodding me to lend a skilled hand for the first year.
  • That was my thought process as well, although your particular area of expertise is even more dependent on skilled hands.
  • Wizards is on it's way. I doubt I will bring my Netrunner, but Ro can bring hers, of course. I have a copy of Pandante coming as well. We can bring Hanabi, Carpets, Splendor, 7 wonders, Sushi Go, Wizards, and if we are still borrowing it, Hansa Teutonica. As Ro pointed out, we don't have Tigris nor Hive.
  • Apreche said:

That's a really great question that nobody asks. Learning games in advance is am excellent way to prepare for PAX.

I pay attention. Plus, it's super easy to be "that guy" and not care and just make people teach. There is nothing wrong with that on a weekly game day or something but PAX time is unique. I keep trying to impress that upon my girl. She's a PAX virgin and just doesn't know yet. Her end all Con is DragonCon. I am doing my best to lead the sheep back to the flock.
    Apreche said:

Here are some that are likely to be played.

Hanabi - Know it. Always seem to get to play it with idiots the 5 ish or so plays I've been a part of.

Pandante - Only played once but I am familiar.

Marakech - No idea. Will need to read/see if I can get someone elses copy to the table before PAX.

splendor - Speed Splendor, you say? A game of Splendor at a recent game day I was a part of took longer than our game of Betrayal On House On The Hill!! I'll learn. I make no assurances I will be fast by comparison to yous guys.

7 Wonders with all expansions - I know all expacs up to Babel. Is that even out yet?

Sushi go - Will need to learn.

Wizard - Will need to learn.

netrunner - Know it. Know no cards pastthe first big box. Will get trounced but will still play.

Hansa Teutonica - Played 2 times. Both with someone I absolutely cannot stand. It perhaps colored my outlook on the game.

Hive - Familiar with Base Game. Aren't there expacs for this now?

Spot it - Play it with you guys at both PAX's I attended thus far.

Tigris and Euphrates - Played 2 games with Rym at my second PAX. Lost first time since I hadn't played in like 6 years. Second game came in second in a four player game ahead of Rym so, go me!

Apreche said:

Word.

Don't just learn Splendor, learn speed Splendor ^_~

See above.

I think Scott's reasons for suggesting Netrunner may be a little biased.

I don't know if this is a minority opinion or not but I do not like the idea of going meta on this game. Observation and intuition should be important. Just play. The only talk should be about the cards as the rules allow. Also; dick move by everyone else not playing to interrupt.

• edited November 2014
    So, this is also of interest:
    http://www.amazon.de/Amigo-00903-Wizard-Extreme-Kartenspiel/dp/B003TZE748/

That said, if I had to bet I'd bet on the original Wizard being the better game.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, this is also of interest:
    http://www.amazon.de/Amigo-00903-Wizard-Extreme-Kartenspiel/dp/B003TZE748/

That said, if I had to bet I'd bet on the original Wizard being the better game.

Is this the edition you bought? I'd love to know how the rules differ if so.

• edited November 2014
    I've ordered one copy of each (Wizard, and Wizard Extreme).

If you're interested in the rules of "Wizard Extreme", there is a PDF here (apparently the game has also been released as "The Seven Seals" and "Zing!"):
    http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/wjs0qce3b/SevenSeals.pdf
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited December 2014
    Looking forward to January. Booked my flight with miles and crashing at a buddy's house. This is a nearly free PAX. I love it.

Also, is anyone planning on hitting the Shot of Fire and Ice pub crawl? I'm going to register as a Nights Watch.

See y'all there.
    Post edited by Rite_of_Spring on
  • Plane tickets purchased, vacation time taken. Staying with Ro, Jeremy, and Tresi. I'll be arriving on Wednesday because Ro apparently has a free night at a Holiday Inn. :P
  • pence said:

Plane tickets purchased, vacation time taken. Staying with Ro, Jeremy, and Tresi. I'll be arriving on Wednesday because Ro apparently has a free night at a Holiday Inn. :P

Whoah, that is a hotel room of great power.
  • One extra day/night of gaming. M'wahahaha.
  • So very much looking forward to PAX South. Wish I was getting in before late Thursday. Probably won't roll into my hotel until 10PM. At least we're hanging around until Monday morning.
  • Booked our flights. Getting there late on Thursday, leaving Tuesday morning. Monday is for Texasing.
  • Rochelle said:

One extra day/night of gaming. M'wahahaha.

Gonna have to creatively box up all these games... Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Machi Koro are both reboxable. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is tiny. Not bringing something as large as Caverna again. :P