This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• The problem is when they leak.
  • Apreche said:

If that community is truly an echo chamber, then there's no reason for an educated person to waste any time or energy on it. Just ignore it and spend your time on something productive.

Out of all this conversation, this is pretty much the most important point.
  • muppet said:

The problem is when they leak.

Ignore. Even in the most privileged position possible, the Internet, and life, are impossible to traverse without the power to ignore anything and everything.
  • I'd agree except that they leak. The KKK is an echo chamber. That doesn't mean I want to ignore it and let it fester. Etc.

Feminism is insanely important and gets set back horribly by radicals spouting hateful BS as much as by troglodytes who think the 50s were perfect and women-in-STEM initiatives are unfair discrimination.
  • edited January 2015
    Apreche said:

Since it's impossible to tell, they are effectively the same. There is a solution. Educate yourself fully. Then you will know for sure which groups are jerks and which are simply experts. Since you are educated, the experts will accept you. Ignorance causes suffering. Simply eliminate it, and the problems will go away.

That may be true in some fields, but I don't think you've seen the blazing rows that pop up from time to time in feminist academia.

I know at least one professional feminist academic whose professional circle refuses to acknowledge at least 4-5 serious feminist academics that I can name(and I mean, people with actual qualifications and positions) as academics, based on their positions on various matters, and/or their research. And from what I'm told by the same people(So, grain of self-justification salt, and all that) this isn't terribly unusual.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • muppet said:

I'd agree except that they leak. The KKK is an echo chamber. That doesn't mean I want to ignore it and let it fester. Etc.

Feminism is insanely important and gets set back horribly by radicals spouting hateful BS as much as by troglodytes who think the 50s were perfect and women-in-STEM initiatives are unfair discrimination.

No amount of typing at them on the Internet will de-troglodyte somebody.
  • Well, I just stopped following a feminist page on FB because they are entering MRA territory. Any issue that could be inclusive they are choosing to make only about women. Shame on me for still following after they made a point of stating that they are not egalitarian but exist only to better the position of females in the world.
  • We here at the FRC forums are really only discussing this in relation to the GamerGate hoopla and how it's affecting our hobbies. I have to be honest, I didn't know that much about any of this prior to all the terrible things that have been happening in the videogame world, but here's an interesting article about the "Men's Rights" movement which is the philosophical underpinning behind the GamerGate bullshit.

motherjones.com/politics/2015/01/warren-farrell-mens-rights-movement-feminism-misogyny-trolls

What's most interesting to me about this article is the seemingly 180 degree turn Warren Farrell made from women's rights activist to men's rights activist. While I agree with very little of what he says, and disagree even more with the methods he supports, I find it interesting trying to understand the mindset behind some of these people.
  • edited February 2015
    He sounds like one of those creepy nice guys. He was all into being a feminist because it got him what he wanted but then... Divorce... All womenz be da debil!!!!!

MRA does have some valid points regarding family law and men being ridiculed for not being emotionless terminator cyborgs. The sexual harassment issue is pretty much fixed.

He also makes an interesting point about using the fringe groups to make your own group appear moderate. That kind of thing goes on all the time but the people in the moderate group don't usually mention it so honestly.

Edit: at the end is a rebuttal written by Warren.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited February 2015
    So this video by Sargon of Akkad showed up on my YouTube front page. Because the thumbnail was of James Portnow, an gaming industry consultant who many of you probably know as the writer of Extra Credits, I was curious, though I didn't expect much knowing Sargon is a GamerGator and having seen a couple of his videos before (which were awful).

The video is a jumbled mess drawing a tenuous connection between Portnow and Leigh Alexander trying to make a statement of guilt by association, spliced in between LOTR clips for some godforsaken reason. The only coherent point really is at the end, where a clip from an Extra Credits video is shown where James is directly quoted. The quote is about how gamers and game developers have to defend their medium when outsiders like Fox News try to demonize and condemn it. He of course is attempting to throw it back into their face.

Problem however is that what Portnow is talking about is unwarranted condemnation of people without knowledge from outside the sphere. However, legitimate critique of knowledgeable people within the community is of course permissible. Sargon and his GG-cronies of course don't recognize people like Sarkeesian or Alexander as such, despite the fact that they are and the Gamergators have no basis to deny them such status other than their disagreement with them.

I also made the mistake to look at the comments.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I've been somewhat "following" this guy for a while now trying to figure out if he's serious or just a really good troll, but now I think he's just actually crazy. Originally I saw some people making fun of him on /k/ because he thinks hes a "spec-op" that's somehow in the army, marines, and navy seals and has a fetish for the desert eagle. He can never keep his story straight so its not really worth getting into but for a while now he's been on supposed "missions" and believed that terrorists were after him on multiple occasions. I was pretty convinced that he was a huge troll before but now I think he must be schizophrenic. Now he has joined gamergate and its just continued to go downhill.

http://jezebel.com/a-man-is-making-bizarre-terrifying-youtube-videos-abou-1683221832
  • edited February 2015
    I've been getting some weird gamer gater videos added to my recommendations on YouTube. I'm not particularly impressed.

I saw that Luke Crane posted a picture of himself and Anita on his twitter. They must be doing Kickstarter biz.
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • "Wu-Pocalypse."

No way this guy is for real. No way. Elaborate trolling and/or parody.
  • "Wu-Pocalypse."

I want to believe you. I really do. But I can see a world where this guy is legit.
  • Poe's Law is in full effect.
  • Rym said:

"Wu-Pocalypse."

I want to believe you. I really do. But I can see a world where this guy is legit.
    I'm really hoping that the universe goes all Battlestar reboot on us and we find out that this is all just an elaborate experiment carried out by some unseen creator administered by his sexy minions.

I can't wait for this whole fucking experiment to be scrapped and started again.

• da fuq did I just watch
  • Taken out of context, that video may seem like a parody. Except, he has been "acting" this way for years. He livestreams himself for hours on end and he has not once "broken character".

It's not a parody. It's someone who needs help.
  • Should social media offer "report this person" capabilities for people who appear to be dangerously mentally ill?
  • Rym said:

Should social media offer "report this person" capabilities for people who appear to be dangerously mentally ill?

No.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Rym said:

Should social media offer "report this person" capabilities for people who appear to be dangerously mentally ill?

No.
    Why?
  • Neito said:

HMTKSteve said:

Rym said:

No.
    Why?
    Safe harbor. If you add a "this person is crazy/dangerous" system the owner of the website becomes potentially liable if they do something. This could also quickly be used for harassment. All the DMCA takedown problems would be multiplied as people with opposing viewpoints try to overload the system to silence those they don't agree with.

Mainly for liability/safe harbor reasons.
  • Apreche said:

muppet said:

I'd agree except that they leak. The KKK is an echo chamber. That doesn't mean I want to ignore it and let it fester. Etc.

No amount of typing at them on the Internet will de-troglodyte somebody.
    Evidently...
  • Wow, something I and Steve agree on.
  • chaosof99 said:

Wow, something I and Steve agree on.

I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

• So the Law and Order: SVU episode about goomergate was as stupidly hilarious as expected, as are the responses from GG'ers.
  • Extra Credits released a new episode yesterday, questioning why there aren't any studies being made about how playing video games can increase empathy. One of their examples for a game scenario that does that is an event in This War of Mine in which the player overhears a soldier threatening to rape a refugee in another room, and the player has to make a choice between going up against a superior enemy and risk his life for the sake of a stranger, or back away ensuring his own survival and the survival of the refugees he is attempting to support.

Extra Credits deemed it helpful to put a trigger warning in front of the discussion of that scenario, as well as the ability to skip forward in the video. You know, because they empathize with actual rape victims. Queue a shitstorm in the comments about how trigger warnings are bullshit and how they further the "wussification" of society etc.
  • edited February 2015
    And then there is this comment:

I pride myself in my lack of empathy. I honestly see empathy as "the path to hell, paved with good intentions". I have my own concerns to worry about, work, health, home, family. I have lost things and people before, recently in fact.

But to see empathy as a positive is not always a good thing.

Games like DAY Z are much more beneficial to society, as we learn to be self sustaining, instead of getting hung up on the stuff that has 0 impact on our lives. The fact is capitalism isn't going away and lack of empathy is a powerful survival tool.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Wait... what? Who what now?
  • Wait... what? Who what now?