This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Anybody else all
    when reading this thread?

imageimageimageimage

and then Donald Trump is elected President

imageimageimageimage
  • And then Donald Trump is elected president:
    imageimageimageimage

• Isn't Aus run by a GWB clone?
  • Cremlian said:

Isn't Aus run by a GWB clone?

If the US didn't exist, it's a reasonable escape hatch due to being so isolated and uninvolved in world affairs. I could probably have a lot more say there than I do here. =P
  • New Zealand seems to be 1up-ing Australia for whatever reasons.

I know quite a few people flocking that way already.
  • Like Rym I have been preparing operation GTFOUS in case this were to happen as well.
  • For Democrats you guys sure are afraid of the Federal Government :P
  • I'm not a Democrat.
  • Cremlian said:

Isn't Aus run by a GWB clone?

I get what you're getting at, but no. Abbot was his own brand of stupid and weird. And also hasn't been prime minister for months.
  • Too bad there aren't enough lifeboats for everyone. But, in true American style, I got mine.
  • edited December 2015
    No no trust me you don't want to come here by boat that is a real bad idea guys.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

No no trust me you don't want to come here by boat that is a real bad idea guys.

lol. Seeing as I'm married to a kiwi, I know it's a bad idea (;
  • Churba said:

lol. Seeing as I'm married to a kiwi, I know it's a bad idea (;
    To be fair, if the Indigenous Australians had turned away all the bloody boat people, they'd probably be a lot better off, but it still strikes me as the wrong lesson to take away from that.
  • Ben Carson as surpassed all levels of satire. The GOP is now following The Onion's lead.
  • New Zealand is definitely a better choice for me to flee toward, but I don't have an in for employment there the same as I do for Australia.
  • edited December 2015
    Rym said:

New Zealand is definitely a better choice for me to flee toward, but I don't have an in for employment there the same as I do for Australia.

Something something involving sheep. Or boats.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Rym said:

New Zealand is definitely a better choice for me to flee toward, but I don't have an in for employment there the same as I do for Australia.

Or velcro gloves.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Or velcro gloves.
    Snorkelling boat that runs on NTP
  • If Trump were president now, then both the ACA and Planned Parenthood would be gone this week. It is solely the fact that the current president is a Democrat preventing these things from happening. Obama's veto is necessary.

Unless the Democrats nominate reincarnated Hitler himself, you should vote for them in the presidential election.

As for the rest, you need Democrats to get enough control of state legislatures and governorships to be in power when the 2020 redistrictings happen.
  • It saddens me that you can only see us and them without shades in between. Local branches of parties are often drastically different than their Federal counterparts. I'm not huge into Charlie Baker, but he certainly isn't under the thumb of the GOP Super PACs and donors and won't be any time soon. He actually works . Similarly, red state Democrats won't necessarily want to help Federal Democrats. Your statement is the case for swing states like Ohio and Florida, but here in the only state to vote for McGovern the sentiment doesn't ring true.

Furthermore, Trump would not bring out the vote. Though he has a large following within those who vote in primaries, if you look at registered Republicans who only vote in the general election, he's the least popular candidate (or at least he was last time I checked, that may have switched to Carson but I'm not sure). Which isn't to say that you shouldn't vote Democrat in the Presidential election, but you're doing a lot of fear mongering that kind of disgusts me.
  • On a related note, I'm considering voting in the GOP primary instead of the Democratic because I think having Kasich as the nominee could strengthen the moderate GOP. It'll depend how he and Sanders are doing in the polls once we get closer to the elections.
  • Kasich is a non-contender for the nomination unfortunately.

Anyone, even at a local level, who runs on a GOP ticket is at least paying lip service to the official GOP platform, which is itself abhorrent. The party's structure needs to be destabilized to its core, and I can not trust someone who will pay even token adherence to the party's platform.
  • It's valid fear mongering when the GOP is doing its absolute best to wreck this country and this planet.
  • A splintered GOP means that policy debates and primary challenges are viable within the Democratic party at all levels. Third parties can not be viable, but the power structure within the Democratic party is already in place.

If young people started voted in Democratic primaries, you could make massive strides to the left on the local/state level in a relatively short span of time.
  • Rym said:

Kasich is a non-contender for the nomination unfortunately.

As is Sanders. Whoever I vote for in the primary is gonna be a lost cause.
  • Our best hope is that Sanders and Kasich get enough primary votes such that what they represent can't be ignored.
  • Rym said:

Our best hope is that Sanders and Kasich get enough primary votes such that what they represent can't be ignored.

I'm hoping that if Sanders gets enough votes, the Democratic Party will have to give him a slot at the National Convention to give a speech. That way, he'll have a huge audience to share his political views. Likewise, even if Trump isn't the Republican nominee, he's been ahead in the polls so long that he'll think he's entitled to a speech at their convention. A Trump speech at the Republican National Convention would still be great for the Democrats.

My dream scenario though is for the Republicans to deny Trump the opportunity to give a speech at the convention and he decides to hire a venue on his own to compete with the Republican National Convention.
  • I don't trust Hillary to use her veto in critical areas even though she may use it in some places that I would certainly agree with. I'm not willing to accept a phony partial solution in place of what's desperately needed, though, and will happily let everyone drown in their own medicine.
  • Banta said:

It's valid fear mongering when the GOP is doing its absolute best to wreck this country and this planet.

This has been the argument for longer than I've been alive. I'm done with this argument.
  • Banta said:

It's valid fear mongering when the GOP is doing its absolute best to wreck this country and this planet.

The GOP would say the same about you.