This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Cruz is far less violent than Trump. He doesn't want families of suspects to be executed. He doesn't have the same animosity for the press. When asked about water boarding, Cruz gave a confused and ambiguous answer that suggested he would bring it back but didn't really make sense, whereas Trump frankly said "I'd bring back waterboarding, and I'd bring back a lot worse". Donald Trump has the blood lust of Jackson, the totalitarianism of Nixon, and the intelligence of Quayle. I'm not sure we've had a greater threat to America than Donald Trump since the Civil War.
  • See, I dunno about that. I think a lot of Trump's most egregious awfulness is effectively him just talking shit without any kind of actionable plan behind it, whereas Cruz is a hardcore asshole who actually knows how to use instruments of the state to make people's lives miserable.

I mean, neither of them should be president or should be capable of realistically running for president, but I think Cruz has a greater potential to be harmful.
  • Cruz was literally calling Trump out for not wanting people dying in the street in a debate. I mean that was the debate for like 10 minutes, Cruz saying how are you going to pay for people to not die in the street. That dude is WAY scarier.
  • edited April 2016
    Banta said:
    That article was written by a moron who is either clearly delusional or is pandering to Sanders voters in order to get page hits. There are so many things wrong with his analysis, I don't even know where to start.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • I wonder if Sanders will hang it up after he loses NY next week.
  • He's going to go all the way to California, just because. And his diehard supporters will maintain that magical thinking all the way.
  • He will push to the convention, because it fits his message. If he wants people to feel their vote matters, he has to stay a person to be voted for.
  • I think it's good for him to continue to the convention. I think maintaining his presence will keep the new voters he attracted engaged and will make more of them float over to Clinton when he (inevitably) endorses her.
  • Trump's Kids Also Not Great With Rules
    Donald Trump has four children who are legally able to vote. Only one (Donald, Jr.) will be able to vote for him in New York, while another (Tiffany) will be able to do the same in Pennsylvania. Eric and Ivanka, however, are out of luck.

The issue is that New York has a very early deadline —Oct. 9, 2015—for changing registration prior to participating in the 2016 primaries. This is to keep voters from seeing how the contest is unfolding, and then re-registering strategically at the last minute (for example, a Republican seeing Trump's lead and switching so he can vote against Hillary Clinton). Apparently Trump's kids did not know about this deadline. According to The Donald: "They had a long time to register and they were, you know, unaware of the rules, and they didn't, they didn't register in time, so they feel very, very guilty." Of course, even if they had known, they surely would not have foreseen the need. And inasmuch as the issue was re-registering, and not simply registering, it's also a subtle reminder that until very recently, the Trump family were Democrats. (Z)
  • edited April 2016
    Not much of a surprise, but Paul Ryan is pretty much definitively out of the running now.

https://www.betfairpredicts.com/ still has Sanders with a 10% chance of the Democratic nomination, with the Republicans at Trump 56% / Cruz 37% / Kasich 7% for theirs.

There's not really anything wrong with Sanders continuing to run at this point, but he does need to be putting serious thought as to what he's going to do once he loses the nomination—there's some real good that could be done with the support he has raised.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • lol I saw this on tumblr image
  • Kinda true, because Bernie only wins New York if something goes terribly, terribly awry and Clinton ceases to be a viable candidate at all.
  • Yeah, pretty much that.
  • if Bernie wins New York by 57% he'll get closer to pulling to a tie with her pledged delegate wise :-p
  • edited April 2016
    New Jersey judge declares that Cruz is a "natural-born citizen."

The decision is still up for review, though. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I am so fucking done with this election. There was a Bernie Bro on my bus today. Went around to everyone trying to get them to vote Sanders in a State that held its primary a month and a half ago. What the actual fuck.
  • Greg said:

I am so fucking done with this election. There was a Bernie Bro on my bus today. Went around to everyone trying to get them to vote Sanders in a State that held its primary a month and a half ago. What the actual fuck.

Gotta admire his enthusiasm?
  • Let's be real, Mayday PAC should have gotten behind the Party party.
  • Hell, if things keep going the way they are I might just vote for Andrew WK.
  • Greg said:

I am so fucking done with this election. There was a Bernie Bro on my bus today. Went around to everyone trying to get them to vote Sanders in a State that held its primary a month and a half ago. What the actual fuck.

Did someone point that out to him?
  • Cremlian said:

Greg said:

No one wanted to set him off.
  • Greg said:

Cremlian said:

Greg said:

No one wanted to set him off.
    Someone needs to. Bullshit cannot be tolerated by me. Even less so the older I get. I'm the muscle that had to eject the horrid "that guy" from our gaming group that would verbally abuse anyone who beat him at games, which, to be fair, was just about everyone.

I'd have told that son of a bitch I'm a Bernie supporter but his shit needs to wait until if and when he gets the nomination.

I would also conjecture further that that person is mentally ill in some way. No sane person behaves that way.
  • He wasn't ill.
  • My evaluation is only slightly less valid than yours. Unless someone is a trained mental health professional in a clinical setting, the assessment is conjecture.
  • I'd run into him on multiple occasions. Talked to him when he was canvasing in 2012 for Jill Stein. I think my impression of him is better rounded.
  • This is a really good article that covers a lot of the things we've talked about here, namely what Bernie Sanders should do to make sure his "revolution" continues and what his supporters should do to support more progressive candidates. Definitely worth checking out:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/04/there_is_no_bernie_sanders_movement.html

"All the enthusiasm is there; it just needs to be cultivated and channeled into something durable. But that requires a sacrifice, of sorts. For as much as Sanders and his most vocal supporters identify themselves as outside the party system, the only way a real Sanders movement can make change is to take an active role within that system. Voting is too imprecise to send a message or make a statement, and withholding a vote does nothing to persuade or build influence. (Who in the Democratic Party solicits Ralph Nader for advice and aid?) Sanders supporters who want to move the Democratic Party to the ideological left need to become Sanders Democrats, political actors who participate in the system as it exists. To win a lasting victory—to define the ideological terms of Democratic Party politics—the people inspired by Sanders need to do more than beat the establishment; they need to become it."
  • Meanwhile, the FEC continues to be an establishment shill by observing a $10 milion dollar discrepency in Bernie's 2015 Q2 report and that his campaign is still accepting foreign and $2,701+ donations.