This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I think what's seriously being underestimated is how terrified non-white voting block is of Trump. I keep hearing from Anti-Hillary White Liberals that "People don't vote against things", but that's their White Privilege speaking. There's too much said by Trump not to believe he isn't serious about following though on his Anti-Hispanic, Anti-Muslim, agenda.
  • Totally responsible journalism. It's what we've been getting all cycle long, so this is nothing new.

My favorite is that Chris Matthews said that CNN would announce she'd won as soon as NJ polls close to attempt to dissuade CA voters.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10159432.html

Looks like the websites got going early just to cover any possible minutes where the lie might not be plastered all over the net.
  • Bernie or bust people keep linking to this site

http://theralphretort.com/busted-ap-clinton-caught-colluding-secret-win-0607016/

Which is a gamergate/anti-feminist/Trump supporting site... Fucking idiots.
  • Via both Scojo and Nelson, on Politico - Inside the bitter last days of Bernie's revolution.
  • Colbert's still got it.
  • Really interesting think-piece on how the media and people in general think about and treat Hillary Clinton. I don't know if the author is correct, I don't even know if it's possible to prove the author's hypothesis, but it's still a good read:

https://medium.com/@michaelarnovitz/thinking-about-hillary-a-plea-for-reason-308fce6d187c#.r0qpurbyz
  • RymRym
    edited June 2016
    Ugh. The Bernie people are trying to claim that the op-research defense document from the DNC from over a year ago is "proof" of a conspiracy against Sanders because it states that Clinton will get the nomination.

Over a year ago, when Clinton was the assumed nominee and was facing no serious opposition....
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Ugh. The Bernie people are trying to claim that the op-research defense document from the DNC from over a year ago is "proof" of a conspiracy against Sanders because it states that Clinton will get the nomination.

Over a year ago, when Clinton was the assumed nominee and was facing no serious opposition....

I mean it's plain as day unless you're a neoliberal shill.
  • I went on a Twitter tirade about this a little while ago but what bothers me about Bernie Bros is that they have all the right vitriol against the dichotomy but think that the answer is continuing this dichotomy. The issue isn't that the Democratic Party is corrupt, it's that that much power shouldn't be in so few hands to begin with.

But that would require abandoning plurality voting and there's no one running on that platform...
  • Personally I think we should scrap the whole government and switch to a parliamentary system.
  • Personally I think we should scrap the whole government and switch to a parliamentary system.

Then we'd be like much of Europe where far-right parties that are basically nazis can concentrate enough votes to have open, if small, representation in governing bodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_nationalist_parties_in_Europe
  • Trump isn't a populist. Saying what people want to hear isn't populism, it's basic democracy. In their time (1820s-1910s) Populists were marked by a distrust in large corporations and financial institution. They wanted money out of politics and expanded the electorate. After the Civil War, they were staunch peace activists (the last significant populist, William Jennings Bryan, resigned from his role in the cabinet because President Woodrow Wilson said we should go to war with Germany over the sinking of the Lusitania). Trump opposes all of these things.

I realize that was a small detail in an otherwise fine tweet it just pissed me off.
  • Rym said:

Personally I think we should scrap the whole government and switch to a parliamentary system.

Then we'd be like much of Europe where far-right parties that are basically nazis can concentrate enough votes to have open, if small, representation in governing bodies.

I am aware of and ok with this.
  • edited June 2016
    Rym said:

Personally I think we should scrap the whole government and switch to a parliamentary system.

I would argue that we are already there with Trump.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • UKIP only got 1 seat, but pulled this referendum out of David Cameron. Now Brexiters can't wait to tell you their taking back control.
  • edited June 2016
    Ikatono said:
    Nah, there are yahoos in any group. The reasons die-hard Sanders supporters (Bernie-or-Busters) aren't taken as seriously as they would be otherwise are because 1) their candidate is not the nominee, and 2) they have functionally taken themselves out of the national election by vocally stating that there is nothing Clinton can do to win their support. They've made themselves functionally irrelevant. If they could be negotiated with or won over, they might be taken seriously. (This is coming from someone who initially supported Sanders.)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm just ready for this whole thing to be over and find out which kind of dystopia I'm going to live in.
  • I'm just ready for this whole thing to be over and find out which kind of dystopia I'm going to live in.

How about the police state, where authorities aren't held accountable for even the most heinous of crimes, and inequality is rampant despite major progress in some categories? oh wait...
  • http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/campaign-finance-documents-donald-trump-campaign-disarray

My impression is that Trump's looting his own campaign warchest for... reasons. Compared to the money that is thrown around by SuperPACs, Trump is small time. Maybe now that he has the nomination locked down he's expecting the GOP and the related PACs to pick up the tab for the general election. Maybe Trump figures he can get enough media attention that he doesn't need to spend money on campaigning. Either that or he doesn't really expect to win or doesn't expect to need to spend any more of "his" money to win.
  • I'm really not one for conspiracy theories, but the whole "Bill Clinton encouraging Trump to run for president so Hillary has an easier way to the White House" story seems increasingly worthy of a closer look. I mean, Hillary would be a strong opponent for anyone the GOP could have fielded, but Trump's Dumpster Fire looks like it might be burnt out in a few weeks, let alone a few months, let alone before November.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2016
    I have hoped from the beginning that Trump (who was known to be a personal friend of the Clintons for many years) was an anti-GOP saboteur.

But, even if he is, he's also a xenophobic prick stirring up hate. Even if he did run to destroy the GOP, in doing so he might have eaten his own dog food, started to believe he could actually win, took a step toward Hitler, etc...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm not saying it was a good thing, or even a true thing, just that it seems to very conveniently explain quite a bit of what may or may not be going on!
  • Trump in the final days before the election.

"...Hail Clinton."

How about the police state, where authorities aren't held accountable for even the most heinous of crimes, and inequality is rampant despite major progress in some categories? oh wait...
    But that can't happen in America, because the 2nd guarantees that Good Guys with Guns will be able to depose a police state.

• Rym said:

Trump in the final days before the election.

"...Hail Clinton."

Round of applause for this one. It'd be an incredibly machiavellian moment in history.
  • edited June 2016

I'm just ready for this whole thing to be over and find out which kind of dystopia I'm going to live in.

But that can't happen in America, because the 2nd guarantees that Good Guys with Guns will be able to depose a police state.
    I see what you did there, and it crushed my soul.

Post edited by Kate Monster on