This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I discovered one of my friends is a Bernie or Buster yesterday, making her the first I've personally talked to on the issue (others show up in my Facebook feed but I don't feed trolls). Though she's only a few months younger than me in age she's years younger than me in political maturity (as can be expected from someone a few months younger than me in age). We were hanging out and I made some joke about Trump (a safe thing to do given that we're both in and from Massachusetts). She said she was writing in Bernie and asked me who I was voting for. She had a smile on her face as she said it looking hopeful. I feared I was setting off a landmine when I said "Nobody campaigns on the issues I care about, so if I'm going to compromise I might as well vote Clinton and win". She just nodded and kept smiling. She held little if any animosity against Clinton. Her belief in Sanders was based in an adoration for him and a naive understanding of political science. It was like meeting a Gene McCarthy '64 supporter. I couldn't even be mad, but rather I felt bad for her, knowing that she was going to see her positive ideals be destroyed by our system soon.
  • edited June 2016
    yea I pretty much grab a cane and start smacking them over the head "GORE VS BUSH" REMEMBER 2000 THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.. DEAR GOD DON'T MAKE US LIVE THROUGH IT AGAIN! Do not commit the same mistake as your elders!!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'm really not one for conspiracy theories, but the whole "Bill Clinton encouraging Trump to run for president so Hillary has an easier way to the White House" story seems increasingly worthy of a closer look. I mean, Hillary would be a strong opponent for anyone the GOP could have fielded, but Trump's Dumpster Fire looks like it might be burnt out in a few weeks, let alone a few months, let alone before November.

Honestly? Who cares, even if it's true? Someone running for President doesn't make them an official party nominee. A lot of people had to jump on the "Yeah actually, this would be a good idea!" train for it to get anywhere.

• Cremlian said:

yea I pretty much grab a cane and start smacking them over the head "GORE VS BUSH" REMEMBER 2000 THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.. DEAR GOD DON'T MAKE US LIVE THROUGH IT AGAIN! Do not commit the same mistake as your elders!!

Dear god, never again...please
  • Nuri said:

I'm really not one for conspiracy theories, but the whole "Bill Clinton encouraging Trump to run for president so Hillary has an easier way to the White House" story seems increasingly worthy of a closer look. I mean, Hillary would be a strong opponent for anyone the GOP could have fielded, but Trump's Dumpster Fire looks like it might be burnt out in a few weeks, let alone a few months, let alone before November.

Honestly? Who cares, even if it's true? Someone running for President doesn't make them an official party nominee. A lot of people had to jump on the "Yeah actually, this would be a good idea!" train for it to get anywhere.
    You're not being paranoid enough. Obviously the Clintons have been giving giant anonymous donations protected under Citizens United to the Trump campaign and using their powerful connections to rig elections so that Trump secured the nomination. Once each have been formally crowned the nominees, ate the first debate they will take off their masks and reveal that they are, in fact, Kang and Kodos.
  • I'm always entertained by conspiracy theories of somehow uber competent organizations that somehow keep everything secret expect if you look at this video and notice in the background see there right there that's an emblem that in the 1560's meant ....

Somehow these conspiracies that already strain belief are gobbled up by more people than I could have imagined the moment that we apply it to Hillary. Why is it so much more believable that she's this dark malè̑ͧ̌volent hand manipulating the whǫle world into giving her ͠͠P̯͍̭O̚W̖Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝r̽̾̈́͒ be̠̅ȳ̳ᵒnd c̶̮oM̯͍͊̒ͪ̚pr̽̾̈́è̑ͧ̌H̘Ë̴͖̺́̉Ɲ̴siǫ̚​N̐ ᵒh god W̖Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝r̽̾̈́͒è̑ͧ̌ a̴̟l͇̫l͖͉̗̩̳̟̍ͫͥͨ d̈́̉oo̠me̴̺d!!
  • Agh, so my display has a habit of glitching out sometimes, so I scroll to get rid of it. I scrolled your post twice... >.<
  • It's not too late to escape their power! The old ones, they may let you go!
  • One thing I hope people pay attention to is Donald's narcissism. There is no event in the world that he can't turn around and make about himself.

I can't believe there's anyone alive that want's to put up with him for four straight years.
  • Greg said:

You're not being paranoid enough. Obviously the Clintons have been giving giant anonymous donations protected under Citizens United to the Trump campaign and using their powerful connections to rig elections so that Trump secured the nomination. Once each have been formally crowned the nominees, ate the first debate they will take off their masks and reveal that they are, in fact, Kang and Kodos.

Paranoid? Hell, if they have that kind of power maybe shit will actually get done. I might be willing to accept alien overlords for that at this point.

• https://www.facebook.com/vanjones/videos/10154278077469910/

Quit saying "no one will vote for Trump, it's time to freakout" I'd advise get organised and start educating those Trump types, before it's too late.
  • Bernie supporters are slowly turning over and saying they'll vote for Hillary, now that the reality of trump is sinking in. Foremost among them is one of the earliest Sanders Supporters, one chap from New York called Bernard Sanders.

(And of course, a number of other supporters are freaking out with reactions ranging from claiming Bernie is only doing it because he's being threatened or has sold out, and others simply trying to deny it however they can. Even though he was pretty unequivocal about it.)
  • Of course he's being forced to do it. Probably his life was threatened! I read that the DNC and the Liberal Media has controlled the election from the start and the election was stolen from the people. Millions of voters had their voting rights taken from them! Maybe tens if not hundreds of millions! Bernie would have won if all the votes were counted. Benghazi! Shillary Never! < /tin foil hat. >

On Facebook I have a friend who is obsessed with posting Bernie memes so I get a close look at how crazy some his supporters are. It's amazing how some people cannot just accept that maybe... just maybe... they backed someone who simply didn't win. It was a good race but he just didnt get the needed numbers, hes got nothing to feel bad about, now let's get to work on making sure a crazy man doesn't win this election.

Nope, it has to be a huge conspiracy orchestrated by everyone else. Why? Because there's no way I could have backed someone that didn't win. That's literally unthinkable.
  • Of course he's being forced to do it. Probably his life was threatened!

You joke, but Scott Adams(Famous crazy person, with a side-line in making Dilbert Comics) released a rambling screed about how great Trump is, but he's endorsing Hillary because he fears assassination if he doesn't.

• Here's something a friend of mine posted on Facebook:

Bernie has said he's going to vote for Hillary, but now the Bernie Believers don't believe him any more. They have to invent words they wish he said, and also come up with a reason why he didn't say them.
  • As someone who puts words in a politician's mouth on Twitter, that's a weak Bernie impression. If he was gonna say that he'd be like "Let me be clear, the Secretary is by far more qualified for the position than Donald Trump, but she also is part of a system that lets millionaires and billionaires to control the political process" or something along those lines.
  • edited June 2016

Bernie has said he's going to vote for Hillary, but now the Bernie Believers don't believe him any more. They have to invent words they wish he said, and also come up with a reason why he didn't say them.

From what I've seen, the more vocal, avid Bernie Sanders supporters never knew all that much about his record, political and personal histories, stances on anything beside labor and tax issues and, in general, never truly supported Bernie Sanders - they supported the Bernie Sanders brand. What is more, it seems that Bernie Sanders encouraged this idolatry of his avatar rather than his actual self. This separate Bernie-entity can campaign on in the hearts of this deluded group, even if the real Sanders acts counter to their vision of him.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2016
    Wrong thread
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I didn't buy it, until about halfway through. Thought process went: Ok, bold claims there, eugenicists? really? I don't think those exi- oh.... wow. Ok, that's just flat out dangerous. Wow...
  • The last Benghazi panel concluded its investigation this week, with approximately fuck-all to show for it. So we can take heart at least that they couldn't find anything worth dropping after the Democratic convention.
  • The last Benghazi panel concluded its investigation this week, with approximately 800 pages of fuck-all to show for it. So we can take heart at least that they couldn't find anything worth dropping after the Democratic convention.

FTFY
  • Greg said:

The last Benghazi panel concluded its investigation this week, with approximately 800 pages of fuck-all to show for it. So we can take heart at least that they couldn't find anything worth dropping after the Democratic convention.

FTFY
    Hey, 800 pages of fuck all is a lot better than most people's first novels.
  • Churba said:

Greg said:

The last Benghazi panel concluded its investigation this week, with approximately 800 pages of fuck-all to show for it. So we can take heart at least that they couldn't find anything worth dropping after the Democratic convention.

FTFY
    Hey, 800 pages of fuck all is a lot better than most people's first novels.
    Most people's first novels don't cost the publisher 6.8 million dollars up front.
  • Trump/Christie
    Trump/Gingrich

Please oh please oh please oh please...
  • It's gonna be Pence. I'll bet money on it.

But please oh please oh please...
  • My mind temporarily broke reading that, before everything became clear again.
  • I'm not confident we can expect the Trump campaign to do anything reasonable ever, so I might take that bet, Rym.