This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Prince of Nothing [SPOILERS]

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Abandon all hope of avoiding spoilers, ye who enter here.

I finished The Thousandfold Thought last night, after having been delayed for some time between the second and third books. I read it in about a day. I highly enjoyed the books.
That said, I did find the ending a little disappointing. I wanted to see the second apocalypse, or at least some more No-God action. Oh well. I suppose that's why he's writing more books.

Favorite lines:
"Cnaiur had not the arms for the swazond he earned that night" and "Most men would rather die in deception than live in uncertainty."

Comments

• That said, I did find the ending a little disappointing. I wanted to see the second apocalypse, or at least some more No-God action. Oh well. I suppose that's why he's writing more books.
    I am also a fan of Mog-Pharau.
  • Remember, more books are on the way.
  • edited September 2008
    I am tempted to read the whole trilogy again straight away now that I've finally slogged through it all, but I have other things I need to read. Also, my copy of the first book is lent out, anyway. XD; Must say: TTT has one of the best ending lines I've ever read. It gave me such chills, finishing on, "Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on."

Also, you know what a great companion piece to the Prince of Nothing is? The God Delusion. I have finally started reading that now, and the themes and parallels of PoN keep popping up in my mind all over the place as I read. :o
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I finished it a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. Right now, I'm reading through a few Murakami novels, then on to Snow Crash.
  • I am also a fan of Mog-Pharau.
    I call him Tsuramah. Actually, Tsurry. We're on a first-name basis.
  • MOG-PHARAU?! MOG-PHARAU?!?! HERON SPEAR?!?!
  • Abandon all hope of avoiding spoilers, ye who enter here.
    You could put that in the title, you know.
  • What do you think is going to be in a thread about books? Talking about how nice the author is? It's in the first line anyway.

Can anyone truthfully say they saw it coming who Maithanet really was?
  • I figured Maithanet would either be Moenghus or someone related to the Dunyain, yeah. Too bad we didn't get to see more of him. I liked the scenes he had with Xerius and the Mandate. :(
  • edited September 2008
    I honestly had forgotten about him for most of the third book. His character felt kind of weird to me in that he was so central to the Holy War, yet hardly appeared in any of the books. I did like the part when Xerius was summoned to Maithanet, and had to fight his way through the crowds. The line was something like this: "Now they cheer my name."

C'mon, seriously? What rule says you have to put "Spoilers" in the title?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Even though I've read some spoilers, this thread makes me want to read the last two books, however I have other things I want to read first. -_-
  • Reading the glossary in the back of TTT is almost equally as interesting as reading the main books. Oo, Cuno-Inchoroi Wars...
  • Two things:

What was the deal with the phallus obsession? It's the one thing that really deters me from recommending these books heavily to people. I can deal with it I guess, but I know some people who would love the series but for this one thing. It would ruin the books for them. Which is too bad for them, I guess, they're missing out, but I'm also missing out on people to talk with about the books.

Regarding the story, I wish we knew more about Mog-Pharau:
    "WHAT AM I"
    "WHAT DO YOU SEE"
    Does this mean even the No-God doesn't know what he is himself? Or is there some philosophy/symbolism I'm completely missing here?

Also, for some reason I am fascinated by the Heron spear. I need to know more about it.
  • Two things:

What was the deal with the phallus obsession?
    I'd say that there are a lot of sexually confused men in the book, as well as a lot of sexual material. Phallus imagery sort of goes hand-in-hand (or something-in-something at least) with that. The imagery is there more for flavor (*snicker*) and isn't such a core component to the actual plot, except perhaps with Cnaiur.
    Regarding the story, I wish we knew more about Mog-Pharau:
    "WHAT AM I"
    "WHAT DO YOU SEE"
    Does this mean even the No-God doesn't know what he is himself? Or is there some philosophy/symbolism I'm completely missing here?

Also, for some reason I am fascinated by the Heron spear. I need to know more about it.
    If I remember correctly, it wasn't even the giant-black-swirling-tornado-thing saying that, it was the masses of srank screaming it in unison. Not that this makes it any less interesting. I don't think you're missing any references, since I didn't pick up on any either. I think the explanation was that Mog-Pharau didn't exist in a physical form or in the world, so it was confused when it popped out and was made real.
  • I'd say that there are a lot of sexually confused men in the book, as well as a lot of sexual material. Phallus imagery sort of goes hand-in-hand (or something-in-something at least) with that. The imagery is there more for flavor (*snicker*) and isn't such a core component to the actual plot, except perhaps with Cnaiur.
    Yeah, I wasn't referring to the word phallus specifically, I mean all the sexual content in general. I understand that he is trying to paint a "realistic" portrait of this world, but I think this one thing alone would turn off so many people.
    If I remember correctly, it wasn't even the giant-black-swirling-tornado-thing saying that, it was the masses of srank screaming it in unison. Not that this makes it any less interesting. I don't think you're missing any references, since I didn't pick up on any either. Ithinkthe explanation was that Mog-Pharau didn't exist in a physical form or in the world, so it was confused when it popped out and was made real.
    As I understood it, that was the No-God speaking through the hordes of Sranc, so I took it to be Mog-Pharau talking. He "has" a carapace, according to the glossary, and may or may not be immune to chorae. So at least some part of him is physical. I think. Maybe. He's terribly mysterious.
  • Although I disliked the main character (Kellhus is a bit too much of a super-powered self-righteous jerk IMO), nearly all the other characters and the world itself were very interesting to read. I do wish that some of the less spoilery parts of the glossary were printed int he first book, as it would have cleared up some confusion for me early on (for example, I pictured Sranc as a cross between dogs and orcs for most of the story).

I'm look forward to The Aspect-Emperor next January.
  • I think the perception of the sexual content in the books has a lot do with geek culture. Our modern geek culture is one that includes things like drawing penises on Pictochat, 2 girls 1 cup, goatse, tentacles, lolicon, rule 34, and more. If you read these books while you are also immersed in this culture, it is no wonder that the sexual content sticks out like a sore thumb. You can't help but subconciously associate the phallic imagery with crudely drawn penises in the Otakon art show. I think that people of other cultures that don't have fucked up notions of sexuality will take something completely different from these aspects of the books. Most likely they will just be flat out horrified, as they should be.
  • Does this mean even the No-God doesn't know what he is himself? Or is there some philosophy/symbolism I'm completely missing here?
    Given the significance of self-examination and its effects in the books (it's the source of the Dunyain's power; see also the various discussions of "the darkness that comes before" and what moves the soul), the No-God seems like a symbol of the infinite regress that such self-examination risks falling into.

Within the story itself, though, I think one of the implications is that the No-God is somehow more self-aware than the other Inchoroi constructs, which are perfectly satisfied by simply carrying out the function for which they were built. My guess at the moment is that the No-God is some kind of being from the Outside, like the Ciphrang though possibly of a greater order, bound into that carapace bit. If that's the case, though, I'm not sure if Mog-Pharau is itself aware of its origin anymore.
  • Can anyone help me find a couple quotes from this series? They are both in the first three books. The first is (I think) from one of the excerpts at the beginning of a chapter and goes something like this:
    Men would rather die in deception than live in uncertainty
    The other isn't a quote so much as a passage. It think it is in Warrior-Prophet, but I am not sure.

Xerius goes to visit Maithanet, or maybe Maithanet visits Xerius, but as he walks up to the palace, there is a mob outside cheering "Maithanet! Maithanet!" When he gets inside, the two are talking, and Maithanet says something about how they cheer his name. Then Xerius' guards start attacking the mob to shrieks and whatnot. Xerius says to Maithanet, "Now they cheer my name."
  • Xerius goes to visit Maithanet, or maybe Maithanet visits Xerius, but as he walks up to the palace, there is a mob outside cheering "Maithanet! Maithanet!" When he gets inside, the two are talking, and Maithanet says something about how they cheer his name. Then Xerius' guards start attacking the mob to shrieks and whatnot. Xerius says to Maithanet, "Now they cheer my name."
    Pretty sure that's in Warrior-Prophet.

I don't know about the other one. I'd have to have my books on hand.
  • edited December 2009
    Oh mans. Who's finished the fourth book yet?

Some things I find really interesting but aren't really touched on in the books:
    -The religion that pre-dates Inrithiism. Kiu-something. It's not in the glossary, but it's mentioned a few times in the book. They hold the tusk to be sacred, but don't believe in the latter prophet. Sort of like Judaism?
    -The Tekne, and other "alien" technologies in the Ark. I imagine the Heron Spear as a lascannon. Is this awesome y/n?
    -The Quya and how FUCKING POWERFUL it is, even compared to the Gnosis. Cleric is an interesting character, and I hope he's fleshed out more in later books.

Would anyone here side with the Consult? If there is eternal damnation (for certain), is it worth the Apocalypse to stop it? What about Kelhus's children? The genetic malformations (eight-armed creatures) don't surprise me, since there must have been a bit of inbreeding in the 2000 years they lived in Ishual. What's happening in the Scarlet Spires, the Saik, and the minor schools now that the Mandate and Witches have curried favour with the Aspect-Emperor?

EDIT: Also, for about 1/3 of the book I wished Lord Kohsoter was actually Cnair. I mean, he sort of looks like him, and he obviously has an interesting backstory.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Would anyone here side with the Consult? If there is eternal damnation (for certain), is it worth the Apocalypse to stop it? What about Kelhus's children?
    As I've been saying from the beginning, I have a strong feeling that the core of these books centers around the idea that there is no absolute morality of any kind, but when where is an external observer who is both willing and able to impose his own order. A "Judging Eye" if you will.
  • About a third of the way through The White Luck Warrior, I am enjoying it thoroughly. The focus so far has been almost entirely on The Great Ordeal and Achamian's band.

Predictions (not really spoilers unless I'm right, but shrouded nonetheless):

1. Lord Kosoter was intended to lead Achamian to eventually join him again: his exile was expected and intended.
    2. Kelhus is in the end a "good guy."
    3. Someone will be raped.
    4. Measure will be unceasing.
    5. Mimara will judge the no-God.
  • Oh what the fuck, that's out?

I am so behind.
  • I might go buy the Judging Eye right now.
  • Oh what the fuck, that's out?
    Preorder, bitches. I've had it for days.
  • I ordered mine from Amazon over the weekend so it's on the way.
  • I guess you could say that mine came...

before.

YEEEEAAAAAA!
  • edited April 2011
    I guess you could say that mine came...

before.

YEEEEAAAAAA!
    Yes, We've been told about that. But that's alright, just think really hard about Margret Thatcher.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • [Spoilers]Someone will be raped.[spoilers]
    That is sort of a forgone conclusion for pretty much every book of this series, not so much a spoiler when it is destined to happen.