This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Have you tried typing in the artist's name into Pandora and/or Last.fm?
    I tried Pandora with no luck, but I hadn't thought of last.fm.

Update: Last.fm isn't much help either.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited July 2010
    Chicago's (or Evanston's) own:

Probably the most hateful and violent music I've ever subjected myself to, even moreso than Nile. I can't keep listening to it, but holy shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The new Fucked Up song is very good.
  • edited July 2010
    Reminds me of the late 90s.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Happened across this and kinda like the style.
  • I'm currently working my way through the Beatles discography... again...

They are one of the few bands that I have the entire discography of on my iPod consistently.
  • I like how this thread is just a wall of embedded Youtubes.
  • edited August 2010
    Sad people who don't write love songs write the best love songs. Pop artists who's every other ditty is about falling for another girl are a dime a dozen, and the sentiment is cheapened by the fact that it's repeated ad nauseam. But when somebody who doesn't often fall for anything is driven to write about their connection with a person or place, that's something special. Thing is, by their nature, that sort of song doesn't come along often. Anybody have a recommendation/vehemently disagree with me?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited August 2010
    I think you're seeing something for other reasons. Pop music selected to appeal to the most people; So finding something that carries a strong message to a lot of people is very, very rare and risky. Just going with a somewhat bland message is a safer bet, and, as we know, the entertainment industry is all about the safe bets.

You Grew on Me.
  • edited August 2010
    DOG FIGHT!

BrakeTurnDownshiftAccelerateCounter
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2010
    So that's where that comes from.

On an unrelated yet awesome note:

And, to round it off.

Mp3 for that last one can be found in this torrent.
  • edited August 2010
    Baba Yetu (The Civ 4 theme.) [Youtube link for those not using Chrome/Safari.]

I didn't realise it was actually a rendition of The Lords Prayer.
  • Fuck yeah, Baba Yetu. My school's choir and band were all over that shit.
  • Fuck yeah, Baba Yetu. My school's choir and band were all over that shit.
    Yeah, I've found like 100 youtubes of various choirs rocking it.
  • I've had two things on heavy rotation this week:
    - Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons
    - Streetcore by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
  • Pandora was looping over the same tracks on all my stations, so I switched back to Last.fm. Make an MFSB station and get down!
  • I've been listening to Anamanaguchi recently, more specifically the latest song put on there.
  • You could also throw "making music by yourself" in there.
  • edited August 2010
    Throwing some Explosions in the Sky love out there.
  • For serious music listening...

For happy music listening...

• edited August 2010
    You could also throw "making music by yourself" in there.
    I still need to figure out how to produce house music so I can have that problem. T_T

EDIT: I think the answer *might* involve Cubase, but I'm not sure...
  • edited August 2010
    The Lowbrows are what happen when Yoko Kanno and Thomas Bangalter have a son with ADD, who then joins Capsule.

• With my limited musical vocabulary I would describe Deerhoof as optimistic pop tied to a chair and tickled, then slapped in the face with a rotten Koi and taught to play punk rock. In other words it's right up my alley, and a perfect soundtrack for writing Hobo comics.

On an unrelated note, I need to learn about Jazz. I've heard a few songs that I really enjoy, but I can't remember their names, and I don't know how to break Jazz down into sub-genres. Can anybody recommend/create a beginner's guide to different sorts of Jazz?
  • On an unrelated note, I need to learn about Jazz. I've heard a few songs that I really enjoy, but I can't remember their names, and I don't know how to break Jazz down into sub-genres. Can anybody recommend/create a beginner's guide to different sorts of Jazz?
    I know not nearly enough about jazz as a whole to give you a comprehensive outline of every style, but my best advice for someone who wants to start listening to jazz is to hop on Google and just start typing stuff in. You probably know the names of a lot of famous jazz artists like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Buddy Rich, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, whatever names you can think of that you've heard associated with jazz, just start Googling and listening to stuff. Same goes for styles, as you've probably heard terms like "bebop" and "big band" and "freeform jazz" before, so go type that stuff in and find out what it sounds like. Once you've found some things that you like, then finding other jazz similar to it becomes very easy.
  • Been listening to Yeasayer's Odd Blood. Over. And Over. And Over.
  • edited September 2010
    just watched FLCL again so i have gotten back into the pillows. i also just found out that my school has a ska club so i have been trying to get back into the genre.
    Post edited by beebzz on