This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
I know Team Fortress 2 is not the big thing anymore, but I've been wanting to get it. The only question I have is that how many people play it? Lots of people? Or what else should I buy with $30?

Comments

• I can tell you how many as soon as I get home tonight.
  • There were still a lot of people playing a week or so ago, before my computer died. I imagine it'll get really busy again in mid-April when the new content comes out.
  • I can tell you how many as soon as I get home tonight.
    TF2 game tonight?
  • TF2 game tonight?
    Maybe. I'm staying late in the city.
  • imageSomeone on /v/ had something to say, and I felt like spreading it along. What do you guys think about his criticisms? Do you think the ludonarrative of TF2 has suffered as a result of the added content?
  • ludonarrative
    NO!!! [In slow motion, Dave and Joel crash through a window and dropkick Grey in the face.]
  • Do you think the ludonarrative of TF2 has suffered as a result of the added content?
    Yes.
  • Yes.
    Gameplay began fundamentally different from previous "Team Fortress" games. While I find these fundamental differences detrimental to my personal enjoyment, the game was solid for what it was.

Gameplay was then pushed into an achievement-driven stateful direction, probably to break the strategy deadlock that inevitably arose due to the low individual skill ceiling from the above fundamental differences. This was my personal dealbreaker.

Gameplay continued down this path, and now the very style of the game is moving so far from what made it good, into a sort of meta-territory where all humor and irony is lost in the face of boring cudgel jokes relying entirely on their inherent absurdity.

TL;DR, TF2 was ruined both in gameplay and style by changes made to increase its pooularity. The latter is basically a Family Guy.
  • While I find these fundamental differences detrimental to my personal enjoyment
    Is it worth anyone's time trying to make another Counterstrike?
  • While I find these fundamental differences detrimental to my personal enjoyment
    Is it worth anyone's time trying to make another Counterstrike?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Intervention

Yes.
  • Large companies, specifically.
  • Large companies, specifically.
    CS could easily be capitalized on. Look at the popularity of vaguely similar games. People like that style of game, and a new, modern, polished version could theoretically draw the playerbases of CS1.6 and CS Source, in addition to pulling console FPSers into the PC world.
  • vaguely similar games
    Do go on..
  • [In slow motion, Dave and Joel crash through a window and dropkick Grey in the face.]
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!
  • NO!!! [In slow motion, Dave and Joel crash through a window and dropkick Grey in the face.]
    If only, them drop-kicking me in the face would imply they were anywhere near me, which they have never been. I would love to meet them.
  • It's gotten so bad they have to give it away.
    More likely because they can make more money with it being free and making money off micro transactions then they will selling a 3 or 4 year old game.
  • I've been playing again. I'm having a blast. And my kill/death ratio is great.
  • Likewise, I've been playing it with people at work and it's been a lot of fun. It's still fun, it's just not balanced.
  • While I don't play it as much as I used to, I still enjoy playing a few rounds from time to time.
  • edited June 2011
    Hmmm. Sounds like a good time to start. Should be fun.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
    More likely because they can make more money with it being free and making money off micro transactions then they will selling a 3 or 4 year old game.
    Obviously. I was just making a cheap joke.
    The cheapest joke... you have to give it away. *rimshot*
  • edited June 2011
    It's gotten so bad they have to give it away.
    The cheapest joke... you have to give it away. *rymshot*
    FTFY :-P
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited June 2011
    It's gotten so bad they have to give it away.
    Since I don't feel like typing up another response, I'll just repost what I posted on another forum:

This game is 4 years old at this point. It's been on sale dozens of times for super-cheap. Anyone who was going to pay actual, real-world money for this game would have long ago now. They've probably made their development costs back twenty-fold. So why not release the game free-to-play? Unlike an MMO, they don't run the servers; they're run by mor- dedicated fans like Mike [The admin for the server this post was about], and that's free (to Valve). At this point, all they have is the Mann Co. Store, not because the game is bad, but because everyone already has it. The number of people who will pick it up for free at this point who would have paid for it is minimal, and they get a bunch of press now for their paid games. My only concern is that they'd eliminate getting items by drops, crafting, and Milestones, and instead force everyone to buy game-affecting items at the store. For this, we'll just have to adopt a wait-and-see attitude.

Also, Meet the Medic:
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I've been playing again. I'm having a blast. And my kill/death ratio is great.
    Team ATW9K fun?
  • I'd totally host a small server for you guys. I got a VPS sitting around, not doing much...
  • edited June 2011
    NEVERMIND. I'm dumb and should be given negative internets.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Holy crap I could not stop laughing throughout the entirety of Meet the Medic.
  • Just as the heart explodes, look in the background of the shot where a part of it hits the dove.