This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• I'm bringing the skein that I had you custom make for a hat. I need to get started on it after I finish my alpaca mittens I'm bringing.

I might also bring the Scott Pilgrim hat I'm working on that I was supposed to be commissioned for, but the buyer stopped contacting me. I don't care. If he doesn't want it, I'll wear the hat for myself. The yarn I'm using is so soft and nice.

I wanted to bring a shawl I want to make for my mother, but the yarn store hasn't got the Malabrigo yarn they ordered.

I might also bring some sock yarn to start making socks.
  • Make sure you wind the yarn before the trip!

@Pete: I spun the yak last night. OMG. Did you know that down has no staple? It's like spinning dryer lint. Going to be a very warm, soft hat.
  • edited March 2011
    Did you know that down has no staple?
    I thought it was just a really short staple. Like, an inch or so.

EDIT: I was also thinking that, as long as you're naalbinding this hat, I should probably get a more "authentic" Viking tunic. And maybe more authentic pants. At some point.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Make sure you wind the yarn before the trip!
    Oh most definitely. I just need to figure out which bag I want to use to tote my yarn stuff around. I have a collection of various bags now that I've started knitting.

I'm now a yarn/bag/cat lady.
  • It's like spinning dryer lint.
    Can you spin dryer lint? I can save it for you.
  • edited March 2011
    Can you spin dryer lint? I can save it for you.
    I could, but I won't. The yarn would be extremely fucking flammable.
    I'm now a yarn/bag/cat lady.
    CAT PLANET YARN BAG!
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I like this pattern that's emerged of getting Bahn Mi every time I go to the yarn store.

I also finished the first ball of my Amy Pond scarf! It's about two feet long now.
    The yarn didn't feel quite as nice as I was expecting, but the person I'm making if for really likes it and the old ladies at the yarn store were really impressed with how far I've come in the two month I've been knitting.
  • That looks really cool and it is impressive that you are doing fairly complex patterns. I assume you will still be knitting this whilst you knit along with Nuri and myself next week. ^_____~
  • That looks really cool and it is impressive that you are doing fairly complex patterns. I assume you will still be knitting this whilst you knit along with Nuri and myself next week. ^_____~
    Indeed I shall. I've got to have this finished by the 25th if Rocky's gonna wear it at Megacon, which should be fairly doable assuming I can at least keep up the one ball a week I've been at so far. I anticipate much knittings at PAX.
  • That looks awesome! Yarn usually feels different after you soak and block it, so reserve your judgment. Two feet... That's like 1/3 of the way done!
  • More like 1/4. I bought 4 balls, might as well use them. I'll decide for sure when I get there.
  • How tall is the person you are making this for? As a general rule, scarves should be about the same length as the person is tall. 6 feet is usually a pretty good goal. If you make it 8 feet long, it's going to be one hell of a long scarf, proportionally speaking.
  • It's ~20" now, not two feet, but I hadn't thought of that. Still got to take the blocking into account too. I'll see where it is when I get to the third ball and go from there.
  • edited March 2011
    Good idea. You can always do a partial block (soak everything but the part that's on the needles) to see how big it will turn out. You could always use the 4th ball to make a cute matching hat or something.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Ahem.

Wet yak has a very, very, very unique smell.

*wrinkles nose*
  • Better or worse than wet dog?
  • edited March 2011
    Better or worse than wet dog?
    It's really the strength of the smell more than the fact that it's bad. Wet unwashed dog smells *bad* to me. While yak just... the MUSK. OMG. I accidentally took a deep breath while I was pulling it out of the water. I almost passed out.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Nuri, I just realized that Ruffas is staying in the rooms we have booked.

You guys can have a fiber party.

What have I wrought?
  • All night knits!
  • Nuri, I just realized that Ruffas is staying in the rooms we have booked.
    Can I still walk around nekkid? Or does this mean I have to be modest?

Also, AWWW YEAH. Let the yarnparty begin!
  • /JEALOUS

I want to join a yarn party!

It's ok. Andrew, Lyddi, Jeremy, and myself will be having the Trader Joe's Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie and Gaming extravaganza in our room!
  • I had a blast knitting along with Nuri & Ruffas at PAX.

I can finally post my recent creations, but probably later on this week when I'm awake and my brain is back to normal.

As for my current project of an awesome hat I was working on with Nuri's yarn, I had to frog it. I forgot to change the needle size the pattern called for. I was pretty much halfway done. Le sigh.

As for needles, Nuri, I saw you using US 2 interchangeables from the Harmony Wood line. Did you get them from knitpicks.com or knitpro.eu? I didn't see them on knitpicks, but saw them on knitpro. I would like to invest in them when I am a hardcore sock knitter.
  • I'm amazed at how much Nuri and Ro knitted on top of all the gaming and the enforcing and what have you. Respect.
  • Moar projects I can finally share! I couldn't share before because it would spoil the surprise.

I made a hat for Lyddi. It's the Hermione hat from Half-Blood Prince.

Then I saw Andrew make a post that he wanted Finland's hat from Scandanavia and The World. "Challenge Accepted" was the first thing that came to mind. And lo' and behold:

I made another Finland hat out of a different color and thinner yarn because Andrew lives in Georgia so I wanted to make sure that the hat wasn't too warm. The original was fine so I ended up giving it to Emi because she adored his hat. I didn't take a picture of it however, so if Emi can post a pic that would be coo. ^___^
  • Nuri, I saw you using US 2 interchangeables from the Harmony Wood line.
    No ya didn't. #2 interchangeables don't exist in Knitpicks Harmony. They only go down to #4. Anything smaller and the joins would be too big. I was using size 1 fixed circulars. (I knit socks a bit too loosely to use size 2 effectively.)
  • Nuri, I saw you using US 2 interchangeables from the Harmony Wood line.
    No ya didn't. #2 interchangeables don't exist in Knitpicks Harmony. They only go down to #4. Anything smaller and the joins would be too big. I was using size 1 fixed circulars. (I knit socks a bit too loosely to use size 2 effectively.)
    Oh. -___-

Man, that means I have to buy more needles down the road. I'll stick with the DPNs for now.
  • Yeah, I've started collecting the small circs. I have 2 size 0s, 1 size 00, and a few 1s & 2s. I just try to regulate the m=number of socks I have on the needles at any given time. 3 pairs is more than enough anyway!
  • edited March 2011
    Second ball of yarn finished! It's fourish feet now and stretches to almost six (but looks kinda bleh that way). I do need to buy some of those foam jigsaw pieces for blocking because what I've got now isn't anything like wide enough.

EDIT: Original post was: "Second ball down!"
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited March 2011
    Those are some big fucking needles and thick yarn.

Another finished project before PAX. I finished these mittens in time to wear in Boston while it was windy and cold. I used Plymouth Baby Alpaca. These mittens warm up my hands so fast and keep them that way. Perhaps too warm. I will definitely be using them next winter. This is also the same yarn and dye lot I used to make my cowl so something to match! The pattern is a horseshoe cable pattern I found on Ravelry.

Post edited by Rochelle on