This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Ro - Huh. Okay, not short rows. Very interesting. Never heard of that one before, but it makes sense.

Ruffas - Hats can be very quick, especially if you're using big yarn. A simple hat usually only takes me a few hours, so I could see that. Pics when you are done!
  • Picked up 3 skeins of Ravelry Red Malabrigo yarn today to start making a shawl. I'm very fond of this yarn. At first I was skeptical because the yarn seemed to be uneven on parts of the skein in regards to thickness. It's handspun yarn and I've never used it before, at least I don't think so.

I really like how it's just one large strand. The cast on was so nice not having the yarn unravel and knitting with is is very nice.

I now have yet another new yarn to add to my addiction.
  • I've got the pom pom on the top done. Took two tries though. Because of that I'm not quite sure if I've got enough yarn left for i-cords and tassley bits from the ear flaps though. How long did you make them on the hats you made for Andrew and Emily Ro? I've got ~13' and one failed pom pom left.
  • I made mine about 13" long. You can make them shorter if need be.
  • Be careful with the single-ply yarns. They can be lovely and soft, but they pill like nothing else. My legwarmers are made from a single-ply yarn, and they are really badly pilled already.
  • What is this pill of which you speak?
  • What is this pill of which you speak?
    Little rolly-balls of fabric that come off the knitted project.
  • Oh, those have a name then? I be learning!
  • Yep. There are also tools for removing them without pulling more fibers out of the yarn.

Shirley Paden, author of Knitwear Design Workshop:

"Pilling (or abrasion) is a problem most commonly associated with softly spun yarns, particularly those spun from short fibers. It occurs when friction causes fibers to break away from the yarn structure and clump into little balls. To test for pilling or abrasion, hold your hand as if to snap your fingers. Place two strands of yarn between the snapping fingers and quickly roll them back and forth several times. If the yarn begins to separate or peel apart, it will likely pill under normal body abrasion in a garment, such as where the arms rub against the body."
  • Ugh. This pattern sucks. It does not have a key or legend. I really hate patterns that don't give enough details.

It's partly my fault, but seriously sk2p? I was thinking this whole time it was slip 1, knit 2, pass slip stitch over the 2 previous knitted stitches. I did NOT know it was actually slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slip stitch over knit stitch. Grr...

Have to restart the pattern over again.
  • Or it could have been slip 1 knit 2 purl 1. You really need a key for your abbreviations, even if they are common!
  • Exactly! I appreciate free patterns, but be thorough with them! People can't read your mind.

However, I should have known that [yo,s1k2p,yo,p1] does not make a multiple of 4 the way I was doing it.
  • A free pattern should still be a good pattern. Most people put out free patterns as a way to get their name out as a designer. I do not knit multiple patterns from the same designer if the first patter was poorly-written or yielded a suboptimal product (due to the pattern as written, not due to my own mistakes).

That's one of the reasons I haven't released any of my patterns yet. I've got to get them drafted well and checked out by some test knitters first before I will put them out.
  • I will be more than happy to test them out for you! I have more than enough yarn to work with! ^______~
  • Contest for those of you what knit socks. Heard about it while I was out buying yarns today for another Finland hat. Using baby alpaca this time and it gets EVERYWHERE. It's just bulky, not super bulky, so Ima have to do some gauging for the first time. *fingers crossed*
  • Pwny socks...

• Those are cool.

Speaking of socks, I'm currently doing my other half of the top down sock using the magic loop and almost to the heel. That should be fun to learn on circulars.

I'm also using my other circulars to finish up the first half of another pair of toe-down socks. The short row heel is pretty easy once I figured out how to pick up the wraps. I had to go to Youtube to see a better explanation. One the other sock, I'll try to make my wraps tighter so the hole isn't as noticeable.

I'm also slowly but surely working on my mother's shawl. My knitting productivity has greatly decreased due to Minecraft and being lazy.
  • So last night I'm relaxing and knitting socks. Rorschach is snuggled in my lap watching me knit and dozing off.

I get up and leave my knitting on the couch as I normally do. I'm at my computer and forgot about my knitting. Moments later I hear Rorschach making noise, playing with something on the only part of our apartment that has wooden paneling.

Jeremy gets up to check it and tells me to not come out here.

I come to see that Rorschach has taken the circular needle with the sock attached to the ball of yarn as a play toy. The needle is destroyed. The sock had a few loose stitches that were easily picked back up.

I know I should have covered my work up or put it away, but this was the first time in ages since he's messed with my knitting stuff and of course the ONE time I forget, shit happens.
  • Awww. When I was starting the pony socks, I put my needles down on the arm of my recliner. Then I got distracted by reading the pattern on the computer and put down my hands to adjust my position/weight. SNAP! I am down one size 1 needle. Luckily I has a slightly shorter size 1 circ I could substitute, but I will have to order another one at some point to replace the broken one.
  • Well I still have the other 32" circular, a 16" circular, and 6 DPNs in that size so I'm ok. I went ahead and ordered the replacement today along with other goodies from Knit Picks.

Anyhoo, a good friend of mine had a baby recently and I want to make some baby stuff. What's a good fiber to use?
  • Anyhoo, a good friend of mine had a baby recently and I want to make some baby stuff. What's a good fiber to use?
    Always go with washable things for babies. Cottons are good. Some washable wools, if they are really soft, work too. I have made baby blankets out of acrylic yarn because COME ON, it's for a baby; it's gonna get goo and spit-up all over it.
  • Always go with washable things for babies. Cottons are good. Some washable wools, if they are really soft, work too. I have made baby blankets out of acrylic yarn because COME ON, it's for a baby; it's gonna get goo and spit-up all over it.
    I was thinking definitely superwash stuff. I want to make cute animals hats. I will look at my stash before I purchase stuff.
  • Keep in mind that babies pull hats off and throw them whenever possible. Make chin straps. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Make chin straps. ;)
    Or throw in a staple gun with every item.

I'll be a great dad one day!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Make chin straps. ;)
    Or throw in a staple gun with every item.

I'll be a great dad one day!
    I just want to stipulate that YOU get to take them to the ER/doctor and deal with the crying children in the middle of the night that result from your parenting style. I will be busy sleeping.
  • Teach your kids battlefield first aid. If they know how to stabilize someone hit with mortar shrapnel, they can take care of themselves when they get scraped up on the playground.
  • Ugh. I really hate bad pattern explanations on things I want to make. Grrr. I can see why paying for certain patterns is totally worth it.
  • Finished that baby hat a few days ago. The yarn's colorway turned out to be really cool, imo. I have a few more hats to make then I will send it out.

In regards to that shawl I'm making for my mother, I've completed 1 skein so far and have 2 possibly 3 more to go. I know it will stretch out when I block it, so we shall see after I use up 3 skeins.

Also just wanted to share the knitting/crochet/crafting books that I've accumulated so far. I really haven't read through the all, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing several books as well.

• I would love to know how to knit. It seem like the tedious, mind numbing, but creative thing that I'd be into.