This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• edited April 2011
    On the very first page, Nuri linked Knittinghelp.com. That website pretty much taught me most of what I needed to know about knitting. There are a few other videos on YouTube that helped with more complicated stitches, but Knittinghelp will get her started with the basics. There is also an iPhone/iPad app from there. It's $4 and it was worth it for me because her website taught me.

You really don't need any books unless you want patterns, but if your wife wants patterns, have her join Ravelry. It's a social network for knitters and crocheters with tons of free patterns.

All your woman needs is a basic set of needles, I recommend size US 8 in DPNs (double pointed needles), and cheap yarn like Red Heart Super Saver yarn at any local craft store like JoAnn's. Eventually other patterns will call for different sized needles and different yarn.

Best of luck to your wife!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I recommend size US 8 in DPNs (double pointed needles)
    Excellent! I had this vision of me walking into the local craft store and staring at a massive wall of knitting needles. Thanks.
  • I recommend size US 8 in DPNs (double pointed needles)
    Excellent! I had this vision of me walking into the local craft store and staring at a massive wall of knitting needles. Thanks.
    You will have a choice between bamboo and metallic. I would recommend bamboo at first because with metallic needles the yarn slips easily, but it really is your call. I've worked with both bamboo and metallic and they are both fine. Now I'm just a Harmony Wood snob.
  • edited April 2011
    Really to get started all you have to do is walk into Wal-Mart, go to the craft aisle and pick some stuff. US 8s are a good place to start, but I'd suggest bamboo because I got a hell of a callus on my finger from knitting with the metal ones. Other than that, tell her to join Ravelry and find a hat/scarf she likes to start on. These videos are kind of corny, but they're in higher definition than the stuff of knitting help and are what made the stitches really click in my mind.

@Ro I know $84 is a good price for that set, but i'm not sure I'm ever gonna use that many different needles.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • There's also the possibility of plastic/acrylic needles. They are light and can sometimes have a better point than the bamboos. Size 8s are a good starter size; from there, she can go up or down with relative ease.
    but i'm not sure I'm ever gonna use that many different needles.
    Hahahahaha. Just wait.
  • Hahahahaha. Just wait.
    I'm just trying not to buy yarn/needles I don't have a plan for. It's worked so far.
  • but i'm not sure I'm ever gonna use that many different needles.
    Hahahahaha. Just wait.
    I know, right? :P

I got my new KnitPicks catalog in the mail and was all excited just to look at the pretty yarns.

As for projects, as soon as I get the images from Emi, I will be working on Bitey from CreaVures. For now, I'm doing busy work with making the Capucine/Finland hats for friends. I'm using Nuri's bulky red yarn that is so fun to work with. My friends are from Kansas and getting married so I'm making a his/hers hat with the KC Chiefs logo as a applique for it.

I will also start sock knitting this week, after I finish making my DSi XL cozy.
  • Oh right! I was supposed to do that! (Space cadet...)
  • I went to talk to one of my professors about work after Uni today. If this place is still hiring when I graduate in December I could be going to work in a city that is quite famous its yarns.
  • I went to talk to one of my professors about work after Uni today. If this place is still hiring when I graduate in December I could be going to work in a city that is quite famous its yarns.
    What city and what yarn companies?
  • It'd be at Bilkent University in Ankara, Turkey. Home of Angora goats (mohair) and bunnies.
  • I figure I should toss my first cross-stitch up for all to see. I completed it last summer and have since then been working on and off on a large Darma logo for a friend of mine. I also did this same pattern on a bib for my cousin's first child, but forgot to take a picture of it.
  • Self-striping Nightmare Moon yarn!

• @Nuri Do want, but have no use for at the moment.

And how does self-striping work? Does the color change every so often so you get blocks at a certain gauge?
  • edited April 2011
    @Nuri Do want, but have no use for at the moment.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's why you have yarn stashes.

Dammit, I want that now. That's perfect for a hat for winter or fingerless gloves.

As for my projects, I'm almost done with my first sock. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I started with top down socks. Using DPNs is fine, but I might want to try out using 2 circulars. I am going to try the toe up sock method next.
  • I started with top down socks. Using DPNs is fine, but I might want to try out using 2 circulars. I am going to try the toe up sock method next.
    Magic loop, all the way. I did my first pair of socks on DPNs... do not want.

@Ruffas, yes, the color repeats are long so you get blocks of different colors. This one is designed to repeat 6, 4, 6, 4 rows on a sock with 60 stitches. The black and purple are the 6-row stripes and the gray are the 4-row stripes. Of course, it changes a little depending on the sock size. The lady I am about to knit these socks for has a foot that is 12" around, so the socks will be more like 80 stitches.
  • Magic loop, all the way. I did my first pair of socks on DPNs... do not want.
    Yeah, I will get circulars soon enough. How long and what size are your needles that you have?

I finished my first sock. It went overall well, but I found a few things here and there that I know how to improve next time. I didn't cast on loosely as the pattern called for, and with the turn heel part, there is a large stitch hole making it look weird.

The sock is a bit loose fitting for my liking. I will probably block it when I'm done with the overall pair and see how it goes from there. Overall, I love sock knitting. I love knitting to fingering weight yarn and small needles.
  • Yeah, I will get circulars soon enough. How long and what size are your needles that you have?
    32" circs are the absolute minimum for me to do 2 at a time, but you can go one size smaller if you are going to do only one. Knitting on size 1 (lighter fingering) or size 0 (heavier fingering) gets me 8 st/inch on most sock yarns.

One thing you need to know about making socks is that you have to adjust them to fit your foot. You measure around the ball of your foot in inches, then multiply that by your st/inch to get a total number of stitches a sock with NO EASE will have. This usually translates into a loose sock. Subtract 10% of the stitches to get a sock that actually fits. You can usually tweak the pattern to accomodate the addition or subtraction of stitches.
  • Ugh. Damn you, MATH! I'm just being lazy. I'll have to take proper measurements of my feet sometime. Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting trying to figure out how to turn the heel with circulars. I know it can be done, but for me to visualize it before doing it is something I can't comprehend yet. When I was turning the heel with DPNs, I was using 3 different needles just on the heel part.

I really am looking forward to making monkey socks.
  • What on earth were you using three needles for? I guess if they make you distribute the heel sts over 2 needles, and then you actually knit with a 3rd, that could explain it. With magic loop, you just put all the heel stitches on one side and the insole stitches on the other side. It's an even split except during the gusset. I can show you next time we get together if you haven't figured it out by then.
  • I was only doing it because I was a bit confused at first and didn't want to mix up the stitches. >__> I understand now, for most part.
  • How many fixed circulars do you have Nuri? What sizes? I'm making an order right now. What are the more common sizes to have (mm wise)?
  • How many fixed circulars do you have Nuri? What sizes? I'm making an order right now. What are the more common sizes to have (mm wise)?
    I think I have:
    1 size 00 (1.75 mm) Addi lace,
    2 size 0 (2 mm) nickels from KP,
    2 size 1 (2.25 mm) hamonies,
    1 size 2 (2.75 mm) harmony,
    and 1 size 3 (3.5 mm) harmony.

The interchangables go down to 4, so I just use my tips for anything bigger.
  • Thanks. More shinies have been ordered. Now the waiting game.
  • Ro, question about your Finland Hat pattern. It says
    Rows 28-32: k48 (garter stitch still)
    Switch to DPNs or magic loop, you will start knitting in the round now.
    Rows 32-35 knit in the round (stockinette stitch)
    Does that mean Row 31 is the last one in garter? Or does it start in stockinette on 32 with a knit row?
  • edited April 2011
    Ooops. I should go and clarify that. 32 should be the last row for garter, then join in the round and continue in stockinette.

Edit: I'm doing toe up socks on DPNs right now. When I get my circulars in the mail, I'll do the other 1/2 of the first part of top down socks on them so I can compare both methods then with the toe up socks.

Right now it's kind of a pain to use 4 DPNs on toe up socks. Still pretty cool method of using a provisional cast on to start it.
  • So you are doing a short row toe? That's how I did my first toe ups. :) I like it; makes a nice soft toe. I usually use Judy's Magic Cast On because it's simpler, but nothing beats short row for comfyness.
  • The book calls it Easy Toe cast on. I start with 12 stitches on the provisional cast on method, knit 4 rows stockinette, then remove the provisional cast on row that was made of waste yarn. Pick up the 12 loose stitches then divide the 24 total stitches on 4 needles. Then I start my increases on each needle and go from there.

I'll have to check out Judy's Magic Cast on.

I'm using that one book I referred to a while back: Teach Yourself Visually: Sock Knitting. It's a very well detailed book that has taught me a lot of what I need know so far on sock knitting. I normally refer to videos explaining such things, because most books I've read aren't as detailed or can easily explain the methods to me compared to this book.

As for increases, I actually restarted the project again. I was originally doing m1l (make 1 left or make 1 front) and noticing the increase in the second row. I'll stick to using m1r (make 1 right/make 1 back). That increase seems to be the one that's the least visible compared to the other increases I've done.
  • I expected that hat to take a lot longer than it did. Finished that hat proper in ~5 hours. Gonna do the pom-pom and i-cords tomorrow.
  • I expected that hat to take a lot longer than it did. Finished that hat proper in ~5 hours. Gonna do the pom-pom and i-cords tomorrow.
    Yeah, it's an extremely quick make. I'm almost done with the version I'm going to put up on Ravelry, but I'm preoccupied with sock knitting.

My local yarn store also finally got their Malabrigo in, so I am planning on buying tons of that so I can finally make another shawl for my mother.