This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited August 2011
    That HAS to be an Australian bug.
    Don't look at me, dude, I've never seen a bug quite like that.

After a quick look about, I found out it's called a Pterodictya reticularis, Or a Wax-Wing Hopper. It's the Fulgoridae family, apparently, same as Lantern Flies.
    You should be lookin' at Omar for this one, Apparently they live in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Panama.

Also, what happens when you combine an enormous asshole, an AC cobra, and your mate's front room?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, what happens when you combine an enormous asshole, an AC cobra, and your mate's front room?
    Oh man, that sound. Stop dick, stop!
  • edited August 2011
    Oh man, that sound. Stop dick, stop!
    Have you ever heard an AC cobra running at mid throttle from that close, let alone in an enclosed space? That shit would be abominably loud.

Also, I found a picture showing the leader of the London Riots -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Have you ever heard an AC cobra running at mid throttle from that close, let alone in an enclosed space? That shit would be abominably loud.
    I have not. Only heard awesome cars on audio tracks, and that already makes me squeee.

And Mr. Bean, you so silly. Keep at it.

• So worth the wait.
    Enjoy the mighty masturbator
    SFW
  • edited August 2011
    A pretty great little short film. I suggest you watch it in HD, great sets, Acting and Effects.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Part of the problem is that it's most often called a 'password' when 'passphrase' would be far more sensible. Also, sites that limit passwords to 12 characters exist in large quantities. The morons.
    Don't ask, I don't know what it is either.
    That has to be month Cthulhu!
    Don't ask, I don't know what it is either.
    That has to be month Cthulhu!
    Cthulhu doesn't care. His month comes in the middle of August!
  • edited August 2011
    Tori from mythbusters cut together a pretty sick Mythbusters Music Video to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. HD explosions all around!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    I just learned about the Australian concept of having a "shout" while drinking.

Thank you, Australia, for the wonderful things you give this world.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited August 2011
    I just learned about the Australian concept of having a "shout" while drinking.

Thank you, Australia, for the wonderful things you give this world.
    I figured you'd have a different name for it, but are you telling me that you guys don't have this?

Also, you're delving into complex social rituals, now. How'd you learn about it, anyway?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    I figured you'd have a different name for it, but are you telling me that you guys don't have this?
    We have "buying rounds," but there's no reciprocity that's customarily accepted. Generally, you buy a round when you're celebrating something or feeling generous. Every time I hit a bar, everyone mostly pays their own way; pitchers are sometimes (but not always) done as a rotation, and refusing a drink isn't usually considered an insult. Birthdays are different, but then, that's pretty universal.
    Also, you're delving into complex social rituals, now. How'd you learn about it, anyway?
    Wikitravel has a subheading on the Australia page dedicated to the ins and outs of said ritual.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited August 2011
    We have "buying rounds," but there's no reciprocity that's customarily accepted. Generally, you buy a round when you're celebrating something or feeling generous. Every time I hit a bar, everyone mostly pays their own way; pitchers are sometimes (but not always) done as a rotation, and refusing a drink isn't usually considered an insult. Birthdays are different, but then, that's pretty universal.
    Huh. American drinking culture is strange to me. I mean, if someone buys you a drink, then buying them a drink is only natural, I mean, someone does you a solid like that, you reply in kind. And say you go out, and you're low on cash, then people don't mind so much if you don't pick up a round or two, because it's accepted that you'll be good for it next time - after all, it's not about people buying you drinks, it's about going out and drinking with your mates, even if freeloading is looked down on.
    Handily, it's nicely self-regulating - sure, you CAN take advantage and get a 15 dollar cocktail, but you're well open to getting stung when it's your turn, and someone has just as much ability to do the same right back to you, so you just drink regular stuff, what everyone else is getting.
    It also says something about us that refusing a drink or the reciprocation as such is considered an insult, in a very general sense.

Interestingly, it also gives us a good memory for drinks - I can tell you what all of my drinking friends normally drink, and I can remember pretty big drink orders without problems, as can everyone of drinking age that I know.
    Wikitravel has a subheading on the Australia page dedicated to the ins and outs of said ritual.
    Oooh, cool.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I mean, if someone buys you a drink, then buying them a drink is only natural, I mean, someone does you a solid like that, you reply in kind.
    To be fair, generally people return rounds in the US, but it's not a back-and-forth, locked-in sort of thing. I prefer your culture's method.
  • To be fair, generally people return rounds in the US, but it's not a back-and-forth, locked-in sort of thing. I prefer your culture's method.
    Every time I think I've got America down pat, something comes up that throws me off. I love y'all, but there is so much I want to teach you.
  • I mean, if someone buys you a drink, then buying them a drink is only natural, I mean, someone does you a solid like that, you reply in kind.
    To be fair, generally people return rounds in the US, but it's not a back-and-forth, locked-in sort of thing. I prefer your culture's method.
    Personally, I try to always return the favor if someone buys me a drink, and for a lot of my friends, we will work out some way to make it even. Sometimes we can even agree on one person picking up the meal tab while the other gets the drinks later on. But as WUB says, it's not in any way an automatic thing. I also have several friends who are cheap fucks, either because they legitimately can't afford it (low or no income and shouldn't be out drinking because of that), or they just take advantage of people because they know their friends are generous. Most times I will offer to pay for a drink to these people just because I don't want to drink alone, but if it goes on long enough, then fuck 'em.
  • Not so much a Thing of my day as a Thing of my memories. A "propaganda" video for Something Awful's infamous EVE Online multicorporation, Goonswarm.
  • Shouldn't that be in the fail of the day thread?

• One of my favorite things on the internet
  • will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas is doing a major promotional TV show for FRIST robotics and science education in general.
  • Today's RIPT shirt is fucking fantastic:

THIS IS HOW WE GET ANTS.
  • Survey says *BOOM*
  • will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas is doing a major promotional TV show for FRIST robotics and science education in general.
    I appreciate the thought (...I think) but overall I gotta say "Fuck you, celebrities." Science is not rock n' roll, which is why it's way fucking cooler and advances technology. Science doesn't need Justin Timberlake and Jack Black struggling to string together a memorable combination of vague words about things they don't understand. All you have to do to appreciate science is look at it and learn about it. To quote This Boy's Life, "Thank you and fuck you."

PS - The sentence is preceded by "I tell you I'm thirsty and you offer me a sandwich."
  • Thought this was pretty cool even if I don't quite understand it all, Higgs Boson.