This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• [Comparing dangers of popular drugs]
    I'd like to see a citation, or at least a little bit more description, for this graph (what does "reinforcement" mean?).
  • edited August 2011
    I'd like to see a citation, or at least a little bit more description, for this graph (what does "reinforcement" mean?).
    When taking the drug, the desire to take it again is reinforced.

I just did an image search on Google to get that image, didn't inspect in depth what was all said on the page I took it from. The image was just perfect for what I wanted to bring to the table. I only bothered to get that image because saying out of nowhere "NICOTINE AND ALCOHOL ARE WORSE THAN SIMPLE GREENS" would get funny looks. So with that out of the way, here's the whole source which has a whole slew of sources in turn, though I have verified none of them.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited August 2011
    An idea for a Tuesday show: Myst and its sequels.
    Post edited by panfriedmarmot on
  • Throwing it out there again - for a Thursday show, cult movies.
  • Throwing it out there again - for a Thursday show, cult movies.
    Similarly, for a Tuesday show, cult video games - Which ones you guys like, and which ones you think are stupid and undeserving of their cult status.
  • Similarly, for a Tuesday show, cult video games - Which ones you guys like, and which ones you think are stupid and undeserving of their cult status.
    Modern warfare: Jonestown?
  • Similarly, for a Tuesday show, cult video games - Which ones you guys like, and which ones you think are stupid and undeserving of their cult status.
    Modern warfare: Jaynestown?
  • Filk or steampunk for a Thursday show.
  • Tony Hawk: Pro Skater
  • I really liked that Total recall episode. Would it be a cop-out if you simply reviewed classic/awesome geek related movies?
    Or at least, ones that everyone SHOULD watch.

If you ever run out of show ideas I'd like to know if you think 2001/2010 still hold up, if Existenz is actually a good movie (I think it is) and why I should or should not watch Logans Run (I have never seen it).

Again, only if you run out of ideas. Unless you WANT to become the geek movie review podcast, which I'm fine with :)
  • Would Rym & Scott ever do an episode where they answer listener questions directly?
  • Would Rym & Scott ever do an episode where they answer listener questions directly?
    We already did a bunch.
  • The PAX Prime 2011 episode got me thinking. An episode about Gaming Urban Legends would be great, if it hasn't been done already.
  • The PAX Prime 2011 episode got me thinking. An episode about Gaming Urban Legends would be great, if it hasn't been done already.
    They don't really exist anymore because of GameFAQs and such.
    I just won the internet.
    I just double-won it.
    I just won the internet.
    I just double-won it.
    Only those of us with SA memberships can see the first one, just as a general advisory.
  • Only those of us with SA memberships can see the first one, just as a general advisory.
    Ah, fuck. That sucks. It's a really fun thread.
  • Right, that's exactly what I meant about a show on Gaming Urban Legends. Stories about older popular legends that made the rounds, stuff you've set out to disprove yourselves, legends you may have propagated, etc.
  • After listening to the Madoka episode I thought that an episode about soundtracks in video games / anime / film / whatever could be interesting. Plus it'd take up a Thursday slot.
  • Book Club: Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. I think it would be a good fit for what you're trying to do.
  • edited September 2011
    As much as I would love to hear a review of a Discworld novel, I suspect most of us have already read some, if not all of them.

The main goal of book club is to get people to read.

I like the idea of a book that is new/fresh or at least, recommended. Lies of Loche Lamora was FANTASTIC and I would never have known about it otherwise.

"Ready Player One" fits this category SO WELL. But it's up to Scrym what they ultimately pick.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I've never managed to get to the end of a Discworld novel. I've tried many times.
  • I've never managed to get to the end of a Discworld novel. I've tried many times.
    They're much like a jar of cookies, you just snack on them until either you're full or the jar is empty.
    They're much like a jar of cookies, you just snack on them until either you're full or the jar is empty.
    Reaper Man was my favorite. Then Small Gods. They are fun.
  • edited September 2011
    My Dad has a library of Pratchett quotes each one of which I love. I cannot read those books.
    EDIT: As in I find it intolerable, not as in I am not allowed to.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I'de really like to hear Rym and Scott revisit Powerpuff Girls.
    ONLY Powerpuff Girls? There are a massive amount of '90's and early '00's cartoons that should be discussed.
  • I say you guys take a break from the normal schedule and when you guys are truly inspired to do a show about a certain topic, do it, then air it accordingly.