This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Also, I added QA since it's what I do. And when you're not doing super tedious testing it becomes pretty interesting.
    I've usually had developers doing QA, and IT people doing UAT. Fine distinction, nonetheless. ;^)
  • I've usually had developers doing QA, and IT people doing UAT. Fine distinction, nonetheless. ;^)
    Yeah, we have some of that going on as well, but we separate out the duties into a dedicated QA team for a number of reasons. Plus we field our UAT out to the clients themselves during implementation and as part of our upgrade processes.

However, I've found it really rare that any "IT person" only wears one hat anyway, unless they work in tier 2 or 3 support for a high-end vendor. Usually people end up doing a variety of different things. I know I end up doing a fair amount of DB administration, system administration, network administration and troubleshooting since we use and maintain our own networks, servers, etc. To me, that's what makes IT really interesting.
  • 1. Scripting/coding
    2. Web design (sorta)
    3. Database administration/design
    4. System administration
    5. Network administration/design
    6. Hardware troubleshooting (but I knew that going in)
    7. Needs assessment
    8. Support (generalized)
    9. Theory (on hardware, software, networking, etc...)
    More evidence to support my theory that my IT education was lukewarm. >_>
  • Surprise! College is the new elementary school!
  • edited October 2011
    Surprise! College is the new elementary school!
    Only with slightly more alcohol and about the same amount of accidentally pissing on the floor.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Computer science doesn't seem to be my thing since I don't seem to get Java and I know it only gets harder from here. I really don't know what to go into now. I know you guys said IT is for people who couldn't do CS but I've tried IT and hated it. Urg.
    Go into product support. Or perhaps accounting.
    What do you mean by IT?

IT as far as a real BS degree is concerned covers ALL of the following:

1. Scripting/coding
    2. Web design
    3. Database administration/design
    4. System administration
    5. Network administration/design
    6. Hardware troubleshooting
    7. Needs assessment
    8. Support (generalized)
    9. Theory (on hardware, software, networking, etc...)

What part of it aren't you enjoying? IT covers almost every aspect of computing.
    Err I meant more CIS. Sometimes I get those two confused. I just didn't like all the networking things like subnets and whatnot.
  • The fact that he plays video games...riiight
  • Not that he over-plays video games, or that he plays video games to the exclusion of everything else, such as spending time with you. JUST video games.
  • Just another shock-value article for getting attention. Remember that "OMG HE PLAYS M:TG" article?
  • Oh my God, guys.

Men do things that can be considered uncool.

How will women ever date ever AGAIN?
  • Screw them, we don't need women.

• The whole day today was my fail. #FML
  • The whole day today was my fail. #FML
    Beer exists to make things better.
  • Beer exists to make things better.
    Yes, off to growler town I go.
  • Yes, off to growler town I go.
    I wonder if that means something completely different in America.
  • Yeah it did cause me to pause. Beer does lead to Growler town, but oft as not not the district you were hopping for.
  • Today I had to say goodbye to a longtime coworker of almost 10 years, who I consider a very good friend and a brother. When we hugged goodbye he said he loved me and I said I loved him too. It was very hard to hold back the tears.
  • Yeah it did cause me to pause. Beer does lead to Growler town, but oft as not not the district you were hopping for.
    I just hope he asked his lass first, though. That could be awkward.
  • edited October 2011
    So I posted a cut-up video before... but today I've started up the first episode of "The Next Game Boss." It's terrible. Terrible terrible terrible.

Edit: Actually, second episode is vastly less fail. Then it was cancelled.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Okay, today is fired. *grump*
  • I just spent $200 on a comic book based on a TV show.

Corollary win of my day: I just acquired a $200 comic book; the Con-exclusive cover of the first issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (limited to 1000 copies), therefore completing my entire collection of every single cover of every single issue of Season 8.
  • edited October 2011
    I can hear my roommate in the other room arguing that women don't belong in leadership positions. With a girl. Who hasn't slapped him yet. And is even sort of agreeing with him. Bitch, what is wrong with you?

[Edit] To clarify, he's basing his arguments off the Bible and how the woman in a powerful position ruins the family structure. And the girl is also super religious and is giving into his biblical arguments.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I can hear my roommate in the other room arguing that women don't belong in leadership positions. With a girl. Who hasn't slapped him yet. And is even sort of agreeing with him. Bitch, what is wrong with you?

[Edit] To clarify, he's basing his arguments off the Bible and how the woman in a powerful position ruins the family structure. And the girl is also super religious and is giving into his biblical arguments.
    They are going to be married and have a metric ton of children whom they will homeschool in the ways of the tea-party. Better to kill them both now.
  • I can hear my roommate in the other room arguing that women don't belong in leadership positions. With a girl. Who hasn't slapped him yet. And is even sort of agreeing with him. Bitch, what is wrong with you?

Bahhhhhhhhhhhh that argument doesn't even make any sense Biblically. There's tons of stories in the Bible where woman do important things and are in charge of their own lives and it's a GOOD thing. Esther, anyone?
  • Last night I got a semi-flat tire and was able to make it to Pep Boys in time before anything bad happened. Took them forever to fix it, but they didn't charge me bc I was a member or had warranty or something.

I drove back fine last night. But this morning as I tried to go to work, my car wouldn't move! If I pushed the gas hard it would inch a bit and make a squeaky noise. Luckily Andrew was close and I hitched a ride with him.

This is the first time I've had "car troubles" in the 5 or so years I've had it. Bleh.
  • You probably need to retune your flux capacitor. Sounds like it's got electrons in the fuel feed.

Better questions: Did it rev when you pushed the gas? Where did the squeak sound like it came from?

I'm genuinely curious as to what might be wrong with it, that sounds like an odd set of symptoms.
  • Parking brake stuck fully engaged?
  • Parking brake stuck fully engaged?
    Lol, not this time ;)
    You probably need to retune your flux capacitor. Sounds like it's got electrons in the fuel feed.

Better questions: Did it rev when you pushed the gas? Where did the squeak sound like it came from?

I'm genuinely curious as to what might be wrong with it, that sounds like an odd set of symptoms.
    The engine did rev. My first thought was that I was in neutral, then I switched in and out of drive, reverse, etc. and concluded it wasn't that. I think the squeak came from the front. It squeaked forward but not backward. It was a pretty loud squeak.

Sorry, I know nothing about cars, that is as descriptive as I can get. :-P
  • edited October 2011
    Bahhhhhhhhhhhh that argument doesn't even make any sense Biblically. There's tons of stories in the Bible where woman do important things and are in charge of their own lives and it's a GOOD thing. Esther, anyone?
    To be fair, Ax, there are TONS of very christian people who seem to think that the bible is a compartmentalized thing. You open this compartment to put women in their place, open this compartment to tell your little girl inspiring bible stories so she doesn't become a filthy crackwhore and wants to be a good housewife, and never the two shall meet.

I know you're not like that, but there really are a TON of people for whom the bible is, most of the time, less an object of their faith, than simply a book full of justifications for their fucked up opinions.
    The engine did rev. My first thought was that I was in neutral, then I switched in and out of drive, reverse, etc. and concluded it wasn't that. I think the squeak came from the front. It squeaked forward but not backward. It was a pretty loud squeak.

Sorry, I know nothing about cars, that is as descriptive as I can get. :-P
    That is a bit odd. I got nothing, without actually looking the car over myself. I'mma lob this one George's way, see what he has to say.
    Post edited by Churba on