This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Wanna be sick buddies?
    Brofist.

...Now we should wash hands.
    Yeah. I doubt what either of us have would be fun combined.
  • Do not watch the new Psychonauts trailer that showed up on Steam if you don't want to know every major plot twist ahead of playing.
  • edited October 2011
    Wanna be sick buddies?
    Brofist.

...Now we should wash hands.
    Yeah. I doubt what either of us have would be fun combined.
    Today I have sinus congestion so severe it's difficult to keep my head up. Guess I won't be hitting the club tonight.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Today I have sinus congestion so severe it's difficult to keep my head up. Guess I won't be hitting the club tonight.
    I've gone from able to eat anything to not even able to eat saltines. It's incredibly lame. I miss food.
  • Today I have sinus congestion so severe it's difficult to keep my head up. Guess I won't be hitting the club tonight.
    I've gone from able to eat anything to not even able to eat saltines. It's incredibly lame. I miss food.
    I have a voracious appetite, but can't taste anything. Shame, that.

Also, I'm probably going to have to shave this protobeard. I can't keep waiting for beardedness.
  • I suck, and my terrible time-management skills are going to make me fail out of school.
  • Justin, you're not gonna fail. You're smart, you know way too much shit to just drop out. You mess up one project or essay or whatever and you deal. Prioritize your work and just get done whatever you can.
  • Prioritize your work and just get done whatever you can.
    This.

The most valuable thing you learn from college is how to prioritize work.
  • I suck, and my terrible time-management skills are going to make me fail out of school.
    I failed a class in undergrad because I prioritized my science classes over my literature classes. I still got a full scholarship to law school. You don't have to be perfect all the time.
  • edited October 2011
    I want to do CS grad school at MIT, CMU, or Stanford. I'd better be fucking good at the very least.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • The most valuable thing you learn from college is how to prioritize work.
    This includes, and I'm being completely serious, slacking off.

Sometimes, slacking off is absolutely a priority. Being able to drop something when you're not working on it or can't do anything about it is crucial to one's mental health. Knowing when and how to blow things off is just as important as getting the things that need to be done done. Always know what the minimum and maximum (useful) effort is for a task. If the minimum is itself too onerous, do nothing instead. If the maximum is too onerous, but the minimum is doable, do only the minimum.

Some people slack off but never get anything done to counterbalance it, thus failing.

Some people never slack off, and get many things done, but are unhappy, failing in the long run.

Some people try to slack off, but can't commit to it, thus losing all of the benefits of slacking off while still collecting all of the negatives.
  • Commitment to slacking off - Now there is an interesting concept.

But I think I know exactly what you mean. When you're slacking off, you need to push your work out of your head and do something that you actually enjoy. If you're worrying while you're slacking off, you are failing and might as well just be doing the work.
  • The most valuable thing you learn from college is how to prioritize work.
    This includes, and I'm being completely serious, slacking off.

Sometimes, slacking off is absolutely a priority. Being able to drop something when you're not working on it or can't do anything about it is crucial to one's mental health. Knowing when and how to blow things off is just as important as getting the things that need to be done done. Always know what the minimum and maximum (useful) effort is for a task. If the minimum is itself too onerous, do nothing instead. If the maximum is too onerous, but the minimum is doable, do only the minimum.

Some people slack off but never get anything done to counterbalance it, thus failing.

Some people never slack off, and get many things done, but are unhappy, failing in the long run.

Some people try to slack off, but can't commit to it, thus losing all of the benefits of slacking off while still collecting all of the negatives.
    Fucking this, man. Took me two panic attacks on a bathroom floor and a night of really hard drinking before I learned this lesson properly.

I'm significantly better-adjusted now. Also, UK colleges seemingly have almost no real schoolwork, so the year abroad is helping.
  • edited October 2011
    I failed a class in undergrad because I prioritized my science classes over my literature classes.
    I found out that professors really don't like it when you say, "Look, your class is great, but I didn't show up because I had more important things to do." Fragile egos abound in academia.

But you can't please everyone. Someone's gonna get pissed off. I was a 3.0 student and I got a job in a field that interests me. And I make beer and generally kick ass. So y'know, you could do worse than to blow off a class every now and again.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I failed a class in undergrad because I prioritized my science classes over my literature classes.
    I learned this lesson too. I found out that professors really don't like it when you say, "Look, your class is great, but I didn't show up because I had more important things to do." Fragile egos abound in academia.
    It wasn't an ego thing. My teacher for that class was awesome. I went to all the classes. I failed it because there was a final paper that was like 60% of the grade that I NEVER TURNED IN.

Of course, then I transferred to another school and my GPA did not follow me; only my equivalency credits. I also knew this was going to happen when I made the decision not to finish the paper. I felt it was more important to get the best of my science education since I was probably not going to use my knowledge of modern plays very often.
  • This includes, and I'm being completely serious, slacking off.

eeeeeeeyuuup.
  • I forget at times that this sort of wisdom isn't common knowledge. I guess it's all about sharing the knowledge or learning on your own.

Anyhoo, Linkigi, you may also want to talk to your professors/teachers and try to come to a compromise or see if they can give some leeway.
  • The science of slacking off is one of my life pursuits.
  • I have trouble slacking off, in the "just do fun stuff" sort of way. I just can't do it; even if I am physically cut off from an ability to work on something, I think about it, plan it, and stress about it. I usually sleep about three to five hours a night maximum because I wake up at night filled with nervous energy and am compelled to go draw or model something. The drive means I can't watch movies or TV, as I fidget incessently while doing so; I usually use my dual screens so I can work in one window and play media in the other. While I often end up spending my time on entirely the wrong work, I don't ever just veg. Even when I'm working on Paradox when I should be doing school crap, it's still working, still something that builds stress instead of getting rid of it. This means every two months or so I tend to have a bit of a breakdown and just go comatose for a week or so while I rebuild my drive.

Recently though, I found slacking that works for me. I read fanfiction. It's very easy slacking to do because it's just changing a window from my art programs to a Firefox window, unlike books proper which require a concious effort to go get and read. They also update constantly, so I've got a constant stream of new stuff to read every day providing I follow a half a dozen stories or so at a time. It means I can procrastinate properly, which helps to keep me focused and organized. And it eats just enough of my time to keep the pressure on for school, so I prioritize better.

So, yay fanfiction I guess.
  • I have the same problem, sketch, but my solution is German board games. It's a fun, consuming activity that's intellectually intensive enough to trick my brain into thinking I'm getting something done.
  • I don't have anyone to play german board games with, and as a result of my insomiac tendencies I'm rarely awake when other peope are anyway.
  • Having the runs.
  • Having the runs.
    Riley's Axiom of Excretion.
  • Typed up a two paragraph comment, clicked preview post, and closed the thread.
  • edited October 2011
    If you're using Firefox for your browser and don't have Lazarus already, now is the time.

Edit: You also have no excuse for Chrome either.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The Modem/router my ISP provides is fucking terrible. Worst part? I can't just use it as a dumb bridge - they lock that feature out.
  • I have had some experience with manually configuring a new router/modem. It usually takes knowing the sign in mode they use as well as your sign in details.
  • edited October 2011
    I have had some experience with manually configuring a new router/modem. It usually takes knowing the sign in mode they use as well as your sign in details.
    It won't help - they buy the routers from Netgear, but Netgear doesn't do the support, and Optus uses pretty restrictive custom firmware - If I use different firmware, to the best of my knowledge, then no connection to the internet. Two admin accounts - admin and superuser - but superuser doesn't give much more, other than logs and content filtering.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I meant as in getting a new router and configuring it connect. Try googling "[ISP Name] router configuration".
  • edited October 2011
    If you're using Firefox for your browser and don't have Lazarus already, now is the time.

Edit: You also have no excuse for Chrome either.
    That is awesome.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on