This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

edited October 2011 in Video Games
We have a thread for games you're playing, we've got a thread for deals and steals, but no thread for gaming news and general discourse? Time to get on that! I'll start by crossposting from Things of Your Day.

Sony is going to be bringing PS2 games to the PSN, starting with Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Ring of Red, GrimGrimoire, Odin Sphere, and God Hand. It's almost like Sony wants us to play games that are actually good!

Comments

• I vaguely remember Ring of Red. Giant mecha World War II game, right? It looked interesting, but I never tried it out.
  • edited October 2011
    It LOOKED interesting
    God Hand though, there is definitely something worth trying.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I vaguely remember Ring of Red. Giant mecha World War II game, right? It looked interesting, but I never tried it out.
    It was one of the first games I got for PS2. I played it when I was around 11-12 years old, and thought it was really awesome. Dunno if it actually holds up, but depending on price, might be worth it if you like alternate history steampunk mecha.

The one bad thing I remember about it for sure was just the sheer time between save points. A single mission often took multiple hours, and a few poorly judged orders could lose you the past two hours of your life real quick.
  • You mean... Trenched?
    This MAY have just sold me a 360. XBLA has been looking too damn good lately.
  • I played Trenched for about a week. It's pretty fun, and the mecha action is pretty great, but for some reason it didn't grab me too terribly hard. I'll wait for this.
  • I played Trenched for about a week. It's pretty fun, and the mecha action is pretty great, but for some reason it didn't grab me too terribly hard. I'll wait for this.
    Might want to be careful there - early reports say that the onscreen prompts for "Vent Heat" and "Self-destruct" are right next to each other. Though I suppose that you would be venting heat both ways, technically...
  • That just makes me want to play it more! It has more realism in the form of absolutely terrible design flaws within hastily-built vehicles.
  • I'll wait for this.
    Kinect-enabled or not, Steel Battalion just won't be the same without that controller.
  • Holy crap, Valve is launching a Portal level editor. Build your own test chambers!!!
  • What do COO's do when they're not on DS9? Replace light bulbs?
  • Holy crap, Valve is launching a Portal level editor. Build your own test chambers!!!
    Didn't they already release one? Or was that just a sneaky, disguised shortcut to Hammer, and this is something else?
  • They talk a little bit about this in The Final Hours of Portal 2. They're planning on making a simplified editor for non-experts.
  • Nintendo is apparently reporting a profit loss for the first time ever as a publicly traded company this quarter.
  • Nintendo is apparently reporting a profit loss for the first time ever as a publicly traded company this quarter.
    I thought they did this before?
  • I think the last story was that they were down year-on-year.
    You're right, I meant to say that it's their first annual loss.
    You're right, I meant to say that it's their first annual loss.
    Currently they are posting a loss of $926 million for the first half of this fiscal year, and they are now projecting a loss of $264 million for the whole fiscal year. This would be the first loss they have posted for a fiscal year since 1981. The NES or rather the Famicom was released in 1983, so this would be their first year in the red since they got into the video game industry.
  • Holy hell, how did I miss this?
  • Holy hell, how did I miss this?
    I didn't miss it, but I'm ignoring it. It's going to be another game of high potential completely ruined by the free to play model.
  • That's to be expected, but I'm still going to allow myself to be excited about it because my life is an emotional roller coaster. Like the ones in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.
  • I've been looking through a few lists of in-development games and good lord, these two alone might just sell me a 3DS.

man, dat theme song for Rhythm Thief R
  • I want that hat. I WANT THAT FUCKING HAT.
  • edited December 2011
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The first video tells me exactly nothing about the game.
  • Those pole-arms the blue guys had in the beginning look like they'd make really cool nerf weapons.
  • The first video tells me exactly nothing about the game.
  • edited December 2011
    Miyamoto's stepping down as head of Nintendo. This makes me sad and happy at the same time. He wants to create a small game either by himself, or with a group of younger developers.
    Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview (and the rest of the interwebs)
    Post edited by Reol on
  • edited December 2011
    I want that hat. I WANT THAT FUCKING HAT.
    This is actually quite apt, considering that Rhythm Thief R is being made by Sonic Team, thus lending further credence to my theory that telling Sonic Team to make a game that isn't a Sonic game produces goddamn gold.
    The first video tells me exactly nothing about the game.
    The Intercept logo should tell you at least something: That's one of Keiji Inafune's new studios. The game is supposed to be a trilogy very, VERY loosely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
    Post edited by Yuyuke on