This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• After listening to a NPR interview with people who contributed financially to the Cain campaign, I really don't think that they take the candidates' stance on the issues too seriously. I think they're more likely looking for the "character" of the person speaking, which is why I think Perry may not be out of the race. Look, he's just like us!
    "Like us" as in "can be out-maneuvered by a retarded gibbon"?
  • Yes. Also, stupid and ignorant like "us".
  • Drink whenever any candidate mentions the Patron-Saint of the Republican Party: Ronald Reagan
    I feel your pain. I was around when Reagan was president. It really wasn't that great. Also, if Reagan came back from the dead, was reanimated into a new body so that no one would physically recognize him, and then ran on the same exact platform that he did in the 80s, republicans today wouldn't vote for him because they would think he's too liberal.
    I can't wait until the Daily Show and Colbert get a hold of that. It will be magical.
    I was thinking the same exact thing when I watched the video.

I also wonder if the audience was laughing with him or at him? If I was a conservative voter, I wouldn't consider that a laughing matter whatsoever if a possibly Republican Presidential nominee couldn't even remember exactly what sort of programs he would cut if he was in what is regarded as the highest and more powerful political positions in the world.
    Yes. No matter how independent you think you are, there's still probably a government program somewhere that benefits you or a member of your family. Maybe Perry wants to cut that program? Do you think it might be important to know that?

• That's one of the most ignorant, arrogant, appalling ads I've seen in a long, long time.
  • Oh, I see! It's so you can go into international waters to avoid government regulation of your business dealings!
  • Oh, I see! It's so you can go into international waters to escape the irresponsible impeding of your job creation!
    Fixed that for you.
  • edited November 2011
    This is a joke, right?
    Considering there is not one single legitimate news organization even mentioning it, and the source is Heritage.org and FreeRepublic...I'm very, very skeptical of the claims in that article.
    I e-mailed Snopes about the article and they did the digging. The results were that, while there was going to be a $0.15 surcharge on trees, it was coming from the industry, not the government. Also, it wasn't a tax. So while there was going to be a slight increase in tree sale prices, Heritage blew it way out of proportion, and none of the freepers were literate enough to actually read anything other than "Obama Bad! GRRR!".
    Here's a link to the Snopes article.
    Also, the entire surcharge has been scrapped.

Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Good article from Snopes. Thanks!
  • Yeah, $.15 is basically nothing. The money was going to go to pay for an advertising campaign to get more people to buy Christmas Trees. My first question was why do we need to advertise for that, and my second was why the frack do people care about 15 cents? That's basically nothing unless you plan on buying 500 trees this year.

And it was so whargarbled in the media that they tabled it.
  • Yeah, $.15 is basically nothing. The money was going to go to pay for an advertising campaign to get more people to buy Christmas Trees. My first question was why do we need to advertise for that, and my second was why the frack do people care about 15 cents? That's basically nothing unless you plan on buying 500 trees this year.
    And it was so whargarbled in the media that they tabled it.
    There wasn't anything inherently wrong with it. The far right blog machine was revving up to dump the whargarble on Obama, so they just scraped it. Which is fine. Who the hell needs to advertise for people to buy more live trees? Live trees are a pain in the ass anyway.

• But they smell so wonderful. Plastic trees are just not the same. I do feel that real trees are very wasteful and a little sad. I don't think I will have Christmas trees in my house, but I enjoy other people's Christmas Trees.
  • But they smell so wonderful. Plastic trees are just not the same. I do feel that real trees are very wasteful and a little sad. I don't think I will have Christmas trees in my house, but I enjoy other people's Christmas Trees.
    Dunno. I prefer plastic myself. No shed needles, no insects, no sticky sap, no disposal.
    Also, coming from a Jewish background and considering most of our holidays involve open flames, having a large flammable object in the house always seemed like a bad idea.
  • If you can, plant a permanent pine tree on your property and decorate that every year. Solves every problem but where to put the presents - but that solves itself because PRESENTS.
  • Never buy a blue spruce for your Christmas tree. Unless you love the feeling of having 4 million impossibly sharp needles stabbing your foot whenever you walk around the house.
  • Never buy a blue spruce for your Christmas tree. Unless you love the feeling of having 4 million impossibly sharp needles stabbing your foot whenever you walk around the house.
    You need me to lend you my vacuum, bro?
    You should be buying Fraser Fir. White pine gets white resin all over EVERYTHING. Spruce is prickly. Fir is the optimal Christmas Tree because it's excellently shaped and has friendly needles.
  • If you can, plant a permanent pine tree on your property and decorate that every year. Solves every problem but where to put the presents - but that solves itself because PRESENTS.
    But I live in the city. No tree also works on the basis of saving the small living space. I will just go to Rockefeller Center and be happy.

• (From Reddit) Perry's post-fuckup Tweet:

But I live in the city. No tree also works on the basis of saving the small living space. I will just go to Rockefeller Center and be happy.

We have a mini-tree that we keep on our mantle and plug in during the holidays. It works quite neatly for an apartment.

You should be buying Fraser Fir. White pine gets white resin all over EVERYTHING. Spruce is prickly. Fir is the optimal Christmas Tree because it's excellently shaped and has friendly needles.
    Balsam Fir seems to be the preferred tree around here. Had my first natural tree ever last year (always had artificial growing up) and it was actually quite nice.
  • edited November 2011
    Quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen in years:

Herman Cain's Campaign Promises with Mike Tyson

Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • edited November 2011
    Ha! IMAGE OF OBNOXIOUS YACHT
    Once a few years ago, I took a little temporary document review job. Doc Review back then was not so bad, and it paid pretty well, although you could hardly be very proud of your work.

Anyway, one day I was reading through a bunch of unresponsive documents and I saw a picture of this bigshot CEO dude's yacht. It was supposedly the second largest yacht in the world. It looked like it would have been at home next to an aircraft carrier. It was obscene. I kind of threw up in my mouth a little just seeing how obnoxiously useless and wasteful it was.

That's why I would have no problem, no problem at all bringing back the 90% tax brackets on those bastards. No one needs that kind of shit.

Post edited by HungryJoe on
    Balsam Fir seems to be the preferred tree around here. Had my first natural tree ever last year (always had artificial growing up) and it was actually quite nice.
    Douglas Fir superior. All other pines inferior.

• edited November 2011
    Douglas Fir superior. All other pines inferior.

Major fail. Douglas-fir is not a Fir. Or a pine.

ETA: Also, real Firs are not pines. They are just in the same family. Pines are in the Genus Pinus. That's right. Pinus. Make your jokes.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • (From Reddit) Perry's post-fuckup Tweet:

I have a theory that liberals respond to accuracy and conservatives respond to consistency and that's why conservatives always seem to "win" shouting matches.

If a lefty hero says something that isn't 100% accurate and is caught, the conservatives (who weren't going to agree, regardless of what was being said) with harp and crow and beat their chests about the LIES of their opponent and the other lefties turn on them for the sin of being wrong.

A conservative hero can say anything they want on any topic and their followers will let them get away with it as long as they never change their basic message.
  • edited November 2011
    *DELETED*
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • If the presidential candidate for your party uses "2nite" in his communiques, you should probably consider defection.
  • Douglas Fir superior. All other pines inferior.

Major fail. Douglas-fir is not a Fir. Or a pine.

ETA: Also, real Firs are not pines. They are just in the same family. Pines are in the Genus Pinus. That's right. Pinus. Make your jokes.

[] Told
    [] Untold
    [X] Told Growth Forest

• XD

I am a little bit of a tree snob. I hate confusing common names like Douglas-fir and Tulip-poplar. (Which are neither firs nor poplars.)