This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• It's what the amount of rage upon reading the interview did to my face.

Your selection of rage face make me secretly wonder if you have a minor liking of Rick Perry's strange ways.
  • I am greatly saddened by the lack of good candidates on the Republican side.
    As a person who has a deep love of Politics and debate, I am also greatly saddened by the lack of good candidates from the republican side. I want to have to make a decision. To be possibly convinced by a candidate from the other side. But alias, It's a Vote for Obama for me almost 99.999999999% likely.
    As a person who has a deep love of Politics and debate, I am also greatly saddened by the lack of good candidates from the republican side. I want to have to make a decision. To be possibly convinced by a candidate from the other side. But alias, It's a Vote for Obama for me almost 99.999999999% likely.
    The other 0.000000001% is if Huntsman-Colbert run!
  • Franken-Colbert would be a magnificent ticket that we will never see.
  • The other 0.000000001% is if Huntsman-Colbert run!
    True. The other is if for some reason Huntsmen becomes the VP for Obama, then I'd be voting for a republican technically... Though TECHNICALLY voting for Obama is voting for a republican. :-p
    I am convinced that with their current Republican narrative it is impossible to have "good" candidates from the Republican side. The GOP line issues are by definition based on ignorance, hatred, and selfishness at the expense of the majority.
    I am convinced that with their current Republican narrative it is impossible to have "good" candidates from the Republican side. The GOP line issues are by definition based on ignorance, hatred, and selfishness at the expense of the majority.
    You raise a very valid point. I can't think of any planks in the Republican platform that I want to support except for "gubmin spendin' too much monies (on things we think lead to deems getting' elected)." Even that one my support ends where the parenthesis begins.

I also have to wonder if the "good" Republicans figured Obama was a shoe in for 2012 and decided to sit this one out.

Republicans will not have a significant impact on government spending other than choosing who gets to feed at the tit of taxpayer (and borrowed) dollars.
  • edited October 2011
    The GOP line issues are by definition based on ignorance, hatred, and selfishness at the expense of the majority.
    Check, Check, and Check. In the order you stated. :/
    I know I know. Santorum's not technically a candidate.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • The Republican War on Trick-or-Treating. Damn little moochers.

Looks like the discussion title ASCII art didn't survive.

your link is broken here it is fixed
    fixed link
    should have been
    <a href="http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/low_concept/2011/10/the_republican_war_on_halloween_trick_or_treating_kids_shouldn_t.html">The Republican War on Trick-or-Treating</a>

your link is broken here it is fixed
    fixed link
    should have been
    <a href="http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/low_concept/2011/10/the_republican_war_on_halloween_trick_or_treating_kids_shouldn_t.html">The Republican War on Trick-or-Treating</a>

Damn, the one time I didn't test the link before posting. Thanks.
  • Man, when will Republicans stop talking about flat taxes? We had them in the past, and they sucked. Then Diocletian implemented a progressive property tax, and things sucked (slightly) less. I thought we had settled the issue by 300CE (similarly, I thought "states' rights" was a dead issue by 1787, or at the very least 1865).
  • "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~ George Santayana
  • "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~ George Santayana
    What's this "Alamo" business?
  • The horrible, screaming, man-handed harpy of the right is attempting to attention-whore again, meaning she's probably going to be releasing a book soon.
    Watch this and I dare you not to want to punch your screen:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/ann-coulter-herman-cain-our-blacks_n_1069172.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009
  • The horrible, screaming, man-handed harpy of the right is attempting to attention-whore again, meaning she's probably going to be releasing a book soon.
    Switch right for left, and you have my exact sentiment about Michael Moore speaking at the occupy wall street protests.
    Switch right for left, and you have my exact sentiment about Michael Moore speaking at the occupy wall street protests.
    Difference being that Coulter trolls to sell books, while Moore does seem sincere in his beliefs.

• Difference being that Coulter trolls to sell books, while Moore does seem sincere in his beliefs.
    If he were that sincere, he wouldn't be so hypocritical or feel the need to manipulate the truth in the ways he tends to.

• Mississippi runs the risk of being added to my list of places that used to be states along with Texas, Utah, Idaho, and Kentucky if it passes it's new, vaguely-worded 'person-hood begins at fertilization' law which would ban any type of abortion ever, and could theoretically be used to charge fertility doctors with murder if a fetus dies.
    Mississippi's name is too long anyhow.
  • edited November 2011
    Let's have a refreshing change of pace from republicans derping while they herp, and look at some libertarian insanity.

EDIT(for a limited time only terms and conditions apply): Also, apparently Ron Paul supporters have a new plan on how to contribute to the Ron Paul Campaign, while under-reporting campaign contributions - By sending in currency made of gold, with a face value lower than it's actual value. Oh Dear.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Mississippi runs the risk of being added to my list of places that used to be states along with Texas, Utah, Idaho, and Kentucky if it passes it's new, vaguely-worded 'person-hood begins at fertilization' law which would ban any type of abortion ever, and could theoretically be used to charge fertility doctors with murder if a fetus dies.
    Mississippi's name is too long anyhow.
    I listened to this on NPR on my way to work. I felt rage and that vein in my forehead beginning to throb.

I think the law is beyond ridiculous to the point that they are trying to get it passed in the first place in hopes to be appealed all the way to SCOTUS. When it goes before SCOTUS, they hope that with many of the Justices being conservative they will reverse Roe V. Wade.

Just my take on it.

• In another hilarious twist about the new jobs bill, in which Obama has included a mix of cuts and tax increases, the GOP has twisted itself into knots trying to make their own that includes no tax increases, and focuses on deregulating Labor and the environment. I can't stand how they're pitching this and saying it will make more jobs. How will it do anything other than allow giant businesses to abuse workers and pollute the shit out of everything? How can anyone justify this stupidity? In what fantasy land will this create a single job instead of further lining the pockets of the wealthiest people in the nation?
  • You forget that the reasons we don't have jobs in this country is because government is getting in the way of businesses ability to create profit, and thus expand.

I can't offer any more insight because I believe that is exactly as far as their logic goes. Once you refute that, they just say it louder.
  • I don't understand that rationale. They say there is too much regulation and it's crushing profit, but at the same time, the wealthy have become wealthier at an alarming rate. It may be correlation or it may be causation, but it seems that a healthy dose of regulation actually drives innovation and spurs wealth.
  • Ah you see, Jason, the invisible hand of the free market is not some abstract analogy to explain aggregate decisions but an actual being that moves faster than Santa Claus and is powered by rational self interest, rather than the yellow sun. It is only through the invisible hands power that we prosper.

This superhero is able to leap tall buildings and solve such intractable problems as peak oil, overpopulation, health care and pretty much anything else you throw at it. Unfortunately the invisible hand has one devastating weakness, a 3% increase of the top marginal tax rate. Exposure causes the invisible hand to curl up and die and all productive people to slip away to the private islands and offshore platforms they've purchased.

Regulations also are known to sap his powers, due to the elimination of moral hazard which is needed for proper self interest. It is also theorized some of his powers may be derived from sulfur dioxide, which is why so many Republicans want to increase coal production.
  • Yeah, I don't know. I like to think that I've tried to examine this from the "other side" as well, but I can't think of logical reasons to be opposed to well-formed regulation.
  • Ah you see, Jason, the invisible hand of the free market is not some abstract analogy to explain aggregate decisions but an actual being that moves faster than Santa Claus and is powered by rational self interest, rather than the yellow sun. It is only through the invisible hands power that we prosper.

This superhero is able to leap tall buildings and solve such intractable problems as peak oil, overpopulation, health care and pretty much anything else you throw at it. Unfortunately the invisible hand has one devastating weakness, a 3% increase of the top marginal tax rate. Exposure causes the invisible hand to curl up and die and all productive people to slip away to the private islands and offshore platforms they've purchased.

Regulations also are known to sap his powers, due to the elimination of moral hazard which is needed for proper self interest. It is also theorized some of his powers may be derived from sulfur dioxide, which is why so many Republicans want to increase coal production.
    That is the funniest thing I've read all day.
  • I don't understand that rationale. They say there is too much regulation and it's crushing profit, but at the same time, the wealthy have become wealthier at an alarming rate. It may be correlation or it may be causation, but it seems that a healthy dose of regulation actually drives innovation and spurs wealth.
    Imagine how much richer they'd be without all those regulations. Sure, there's growth now, but we need more growth so job creators can create jobs.

This is what Republicans actually believe.

• This is what Republicans actually believe.
    Self delusion?