This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

edited March 2012 in Conventions
Obligatory who is going thread as well as questioning the powers of Scrym for information on the priority panel selections. I have about half a dozen people from my extended circles jumping at the bit to come down and do panels. Send me your google doc/whatever you are using to submit panels.

Comments

• Connecticon is effectively my hometown convention so it would be weird if I decided not to go. Also planning on trying out my intro to Kung Fu Cinema (working on the title) panel this year.
  • Family That Geeks will be going and doing an undefined number of panels on an undefined number of subjects.
  • If the last two years are any indication the panels will number around the "shit ton" side of the scale.
  • At least we're doing a variety now. In '09 we did FTGTSG three times and nothing else.
  • edited March 2012
    I heard that they aren't waving the badge fee for panelists anymore which is why me and Jed are reluctant. We emailed them and they said a case by case basis or 10 hours of programming. Seemed to change a lot from last year. Does anyone know more about this? There's next to nil on the website.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I heard that they aren't waving the badge fee for panelists anymore which is why me and Jed are reluctant. We emailed them and they said a case by case basis or 10 hours of programming. Seemed to change a lot from last year. Does anyone know more about this? There's next to nil on the website.
    Connecticon seems like such a good time I cannot even fathom the concept of not going just b/c I had to pay for the badge. Or are you saying your are just reluctant to become a panelist?

• I heard that they aren't waving the badge fee for panelists anymore which is why me and Jed are reluctant. We emailed them and they said a case by case basis or 10 hours of programming. Seemed to change a lot from last year. Does anyone know more about this? There's next to nil on the website.
    It may well be because there is an abundance of panelists. If you don't need to waive the fee to attract good panelists, it makes economic sense not to.

It may well be because there is an abundance of panelists. If you don't need to waive the fee to attract good panelists, it makes economic sense not to.
    See, the $40 badge doesn't make or break anything about this con for me. The expense of the hotel, food and trip are 10 times that badge cost. I liked the gesture of "you're helping make our con good, here's a badge" On the flip side though, the panels I do with Karl require little to no effort on our part.
  • How many fan panels have a dozen people on them? MAYBE one or two of them did a little prep work, but most of them show up for the free badge. Some panelist at CTcon do a ton of work for the convention, and they earn a free pass. That one art lady, FTG, some of the Penny Dreadfuls, that jag-off with a top hat... I may not love his content, but dude runs like 4 panels a year.

I'm all for raising the bar. Do a panel because you want to do it and not for what it'll get you.
  • edited March 2012
    Nice, you mean a for profit con is now going to get it's content and make the content providers pay for it lol...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I've only ever been to a one panel with more than three people on the panel. It was at AB and it sucked anyway.

If you ask me, a panel should be able to have as many people as it wants on it, but only one or two gets a free badge.
  • Don't jump on my chest okay.

First off, I want to go either way, because I love the con, Jed on the other hand rather have more incentive and weather I like it or not, I can't afford to go without him.

Second, I AM one of those hard working panelists you hear about who tries and many times succeed at making a memorable well given panel.

Third, I don't think there's anything wrong with putting hard work into creating anything and wanting something in return. You know how many hours I put into paneling. A lot.
  • As someone who runs a panel department you can tell the people who are doing it just to get a free badge and those that are either really into their topic or really knowledgeable...
  • As someone who runs a panel department you can tell the people who are doing it just to get a free badge and those that are either really into their topic or really knowledgeable...
    I suspect that's why they went to case by case basis. It allows them to evaluate panelists based on their value.

• So you're saying it's bad to have value AND also like having a perk? It has to be either?

I think there are better way to cut the people who just want a free badge and I don't agree with CTcons way of doing it.
  • So you're saying it's bad to have value AND also like having a perk? It has to be either?

I think there are better way to cut the people who just want a free badge and I don't agree with CTcons way of doing it.
    No, I completely agree with you. I've held fast against other people's suggestion that we should change how we reimburse at the convention I do panels for. Since you are providing content to a convention for completely free otherwise.
  • edited March 2012
    So you're saying it's bad to have value AND also like having a perk? It has to be either?
    What I mean is that the case by case basis allows them to give a badge to the panelists with value while avoiding giving shit panelists free badges. This doesn't cut out valuable panelists from getting the perk. It just makes it not automatic.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • I am all for paying for a badge if you can help me get there. Say a bus ticket from Philly to Hartford, round trip minus the cost of the actual badge and I am all good.
  • I think our plan will be two badges for panel. ;^)

• I'm all for raising the bar. Do a panel because you want to do it and not for what it'll get you.
    To be perfectly honest, we (myself and Scott) flat out refuse to present at any convention that doesn't comp our badge. We've never compromised on this. ^_~
  • I think our plan will be two badges for panel. ;^)
    Are sign ups live? If so where is it?
  • http://connecticon.org/events/add/
    >Total Seats
    >Event Price
    >Reservation Price
    >Workshop/Panel Image

Uhhh, could you explain these for the benefit of those of us who intend to run panels? i.e. What is safe to leave blank if you're running a panel and not a workshop?
  • http://connecticon.org/events/add/
    >Total Seats
    >Event Price
    >Reservation Price
    >Workshop/Panel Image

Uhhh, could you explain these for the benefit of those of us who intend to run panels? i.e. What is safe to leave blank if you're running a panel and not a workshop?
    Sigh... I make no comment on the web site. ;^)

Ignore them. Many of the artist workshops have materials fees, so that's there. Seats and image are supposed to be suppressed: I'll see about getting that done.
  • edited March 2012
    Request that there only be 5 seats. Then you can claim you held a panel for a standing room only crowd.
    Post edited by Matt on

• I'm all for raising the bar. Do a panel because you want to do it and not for what it'll get you.
    To be perfectly honest, we (myself and Scott) flat out refuse to present at any convention that doesn't comp our badge. We've never compromised on this. ^_~
    You and Scott make a good point. Quality aside, panelist provide entertainment for an event. They should get some compensation.
  • Rym/Scott, what's the deadline for panels submission?
    I hope to have that defined very soon. Probably early May. We're going to make a media blitz this week to get submissions rolling in earnest.
    I hope to have that defined very soon. Probably early May. We're going to make a media blitz this week to get submissions rolling in earnest.
    Cool, thanks. That gives me some time to firm up ideas post-AB12.

• If I have the time off I'm coming, but I don't have my work schedule that far out yet.