This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Forums Tekkit Server

Comments

• I think if I build the factory necessary to do that I'll end up slowing down the server again. XD
  • I think all the crystal chests were 99% of the problem there.
  • Why do you need a factory? It's solar arrays are easy once you have the first tier solar panels. Get a project table and all the raw mats and go at it quite fast if you know what you need to make really.
  • You have to make the transformers as well.

The factory he had wasn't so terrible, but using the timer circuit to control the ratio of items released would be a must.
  • edited September 2012
    I've let about half a dozen redditors onto the server with the intent to let another half dozen on in the next couple of days. So far we seem to have a pretty nice group growing. If you're on, say hi. :-)

I just got rudimentary solar power working in Terminus. Took 3 days of play. I'm loving this shit. :-D
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I think all the crystal chests were 99% of the problem there.
    I run my own private server for local friends and this is a big thing. we used crystal chests for everything and went to using diamond chests and the lag improved a great deal.
  • edited September 2012
    I've let about half a dozen redditors onto the server with the intent to let another half dozen on in the next couple of days. So far we seem to have a pretty nice group growing. If you're on, say hi. :-)
    are they *nice*? (looks longingly at banhammer)
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • So far everyone is very pleasant, of those who have logged in since being whitelisted.

I let a couple of teen guys in to chat with my daughter while playing Tekkit, but they started projects and then abandoned them. *sigh*

No griefing, though. I'm thinking about installing Grief Prevention on the server, which allows you to claim plots using a golden shovel, with larger plots allowed the longer you spend on the server.
  • Redditors?

MY LIBRARY!!! *runs off to check on it*
  • Sonic we can WorldGuard your library if you want. It's pretty easy.
  • As long as doing so would still allow people to take stuff out of chests, then yes please.
  • You may want to go through and create /cpublic locks on all your chests at some point, as somebody could potentially come along and lock them themselves otherwise, but yeah WorldGuard won't prevent people opening them (unless we tell it to).
  • edited September 2012
    so apparently malicious computercraft code can be written, so maybe that's something new members have to earn?
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • so apparently malicious computercraft code can be written, so maybe that's something new members have to earn?
    Malicious how? Like compromise a server or just lag it to death? You can do that with just about every Tekkit mod.

If we get into locked tiers of technology, we have to install a permissions manager. Last time I did that I broke all ComputerCraft for everybody. We'd be looking at some downtime while I got it all sorted unless we start renting a test region, too.

That's not to say I'm not willing to do these things. :-)
  • I've seen people make self replicating programs but you have to run it manually and there's no easy internet access. Though this API might be cool to have around.
    http://computercraft.info/wiki/index.php?title=Http
  • edited September 2012
    There's a per-turtle permission setting in ComputerCraft but it would mean that ops would have to authorize each individual turtle on a request basis. Could be a real problem if picking up and moving a turtle via inventory resets its ID (which I think it does).

The other option is to globally give turtles modifyworld permissions, which means they can circumvent worldguard and other anti-griefing plugins...
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Stuff I read mentioned crashing and corrupting server, that CC is more banned than EE, & people use redpower comps instead. It wouldn't be an issue if this were FRC-only, but if you're inviting Reddit...
  • You remember we have nukes on this server, right?
  • I'm inviting a small number of redditors who have applied and whose posting histories I've read. As well as just using some good people judgment about their vibe. I'm not letting the Huns invade.

Do you know ME much better than you know redditor #457?
  • I just rented a smaller test server on the same host. Now I can mess around with additional world drafts and test other plugins and setups without messing up the main world or booting anybody. Woo!
  • TERMINUS RESET THIS WEEKEND

Terminus is pretty broken, as a few of you know already. There's only 2 or 3 people living there so far anyway and I don't think anybody has a HUGE amount of progress there.

The issue is with on the fly generation of chunks using Terrain Control, which gives Terminus its unique look. Unfortunately, Terrain Control is incompatible with on-the-fly (or "hot") world reloads, which are necessary to keep EE working on the server with multiple worlds installed.

To fix the problem, I'm pre-generating a huge disc shaped Terminus world and I'll load the whole thing onto the server at once, with a World Border set at the extreme edge. Then there will be no need to generate further terrain and the issue will not occur.

Because the existing Terminus has spawned HUGE swathes of utterly useless terrain (miles and miles of hills and valleys with ZERO resources), it's pretty much a wash and has to go. Only the spawn area has any usable land.

So.. pardon our dust. I'm getting the hang of this now. :-)
  • Soooo when might the server be back up?
  • The world file for Terminus is HUGE. I underestimated the transfer time, then my daughters cat killed my laptop overnight. Was working on this until 3am. I'll have it up as soon as possible.
  • edited September 2012
    2pm EDT. That's my working ETA.

Incidentally, AT&T U-Verse gets REALLY cranky if you max out the upstream for a couple of consecutive hours. I wouldn't have predicted problems with downstream stuff like Netflix, but basically everything in the house that uses a moderate amount of downstream bandwidth is boned right now.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Server is back up.
  • Incidentally, should the server ever come down, it now fixes the EE bug automatically.

If you get kicked by the server coming down, when you see the server go green again, do a 15 count before logging back in. This will prevent the loss of any (or all) of your inventory. I'm working on a fix for this but the way Bukkit is coded makes it hard to write a plugin that totally prevents logins for a period of time (rather they all just kick you after you log in and break the startup scripts that are running.)

SO.... do a 15 count starting when you notice the server is green, THEN log in. :-)
  • Instead of preventing logins, could you make a script that blacklists everyone for like 30 seconds and then whitelists them again?
  • And what I think happens when my water pumps are in an unloaded chunk occurred recently.. big hole in the ground.