This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• That's not the point. They simply have to exist right now.
    A better response would be to ask the religious nuts to prove their assertion. Ask them to point to a few nations that ceased to exist specifically due to the decline of religion within their borders and government.
    Holy Roman Empire, sorta.
  • I imagine they'd try to wheel out Sodom, Gomorrah, and Babel.
  • edited October 2012
    In today's episode of "What Will Those Republicans Say Next?" we have the Arkansas legislature candidate who thinks mouthy kids should be executed.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/08/974321/republican-candidate-in-arkansas-says-parents-should-seek-death-penalty-for-rebellious-children/?mobile=nc

Queue the refrains of, "But that's just some wacko, not a REAL Republican. I'm just a fiscal conservative!"
    Post edited by Jason on
  • In today's episode of "What Will Those Republicans Say Next?" we have the Arkansas legislature candidate who thinks mouthy kids should be executed.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/08/974321/republican-candidate-in-arkansas-says-parents-should-seek-death-penalty-for-rebellious-children/?mobile=nc

Queue the refrains of, "But that's just some wacko, not a REAL Republican. I'm just a fiscal conservative!"
    I saw this yesterday. This is comedy gold. Can we please let the South secede?
  • Am I the only one who thinks his name is pronounced "Fuck-a"?
  • So what do you guys think about the testimony on the embassy stuff. Looks like someone fucked up.
  • So what do you guys think about the testimony on the embassy stuff. Looks like someone fucked up.
    I'm still processing it. Overall, I'm unhappy that someone fucked up and a friend died. I'd be unhappy regardless of what turns out to be the truth of the matter.
    Missed that one. Care to elaborate?

• edited October 2012
    So what do you guys think about the testimony on the embassy stuff. Looks like someone fucked up.
    http://bit.ly/QVZVs7
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited October 2012
    HAHAHAHA that was the worst LMGTFY ever. Complete fail.

EDIT: Aw, he fixed it. The first link was LMGTFY typing in an excrutiatingly long URL. It was hilarious.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Well, just from looking at the top most recent news, it's not hard to figure out what is going on.
    http://bit.ly/QVZVs7
    Should have seen that one coming heaven someone gives a quick summing up with out being a smug git :P
    Well, just from looking at the top most recent news, it's not hard to figure out what is going on.
    I live in the UK this is not the top parts of our news. Hence why I was asking US people to explain.

• We should have more guns, right guys?
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_COSTUMED_GIRL_SHOT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-22-20-06-29
    2/10 effort for trolling. Your appeal to emotion to push an opinion was too blatant, and while using a child for it was admittedly not the least cunning thing I'd seen today, you still laid the bait just a little too conspicuously.

• It appears that the USPTO may be invalidating Apples "rubber band" patent.
  • Here's a good one from the newspaper inbox:

CELINA, OH – The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio sent a letter to Celina High School today, urging administrators to reconsider their unconstitutional decision to prohibit students from wearing shirts that express their support of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students.

“Schools should be a place where students are free to express their beliefs,” said ACLU of Ohio Legal Director James Hardiman. “None of these young people acted inappropriately, and only wished to express their support for all members of their community. Expressing their views did not disrupt the learning environment, but now the administration’s unconstitutional overreaction has.”

“The school has silenced these students on the basis that other individuals who disagree with their message may become upset and disruptive,” added Hardiman. “This amounts to a ‘heckler’s veto’ and is not a valid justification for suppressing free speech.”
  • Did they send the same letter to the DOJ when the DOJ went after that Muhammad YouTube video guy?
  • Did they send the same letter to the DOJ when the DOJ went after that Muhammad YouTube video guy?
    I hope so but it seems the DOJ ignored them anyway.
    You do realize that the DOJ went after him not for the video, but for violating the terms of his probation, which included not being allowed to use computers or access the internet and not using fake aliases, all of which he violated while making said movie.
    You do realize that the DOJ went after him not for the video, but for violating the terms of his probation, which included not being allowed to use computers or access the internet and not using fake aliases, all of which he violated while making said movie.
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Okay, and where is your evidence that this is not true? Granted, this guy was an idiot in that by making his film, he violated just about every term of his probation. He used a computer to edit it and upload it to youtube, which counts as using the internet, and also used an alias to post the video and to claim ownership of the video. All of these are violations of his probation. Remember, this guy was also previously convicted of making meth, identity theft, and bank fraud as well, hence why these were terms of his probation.
  • I said "nope" in answer to your question . As in, "nope, I did not know all that ."
  • I said "nope" in answer to your question . As in, "nope, I did not know all that ."
    Oh, my apologies for misinterpreting your response then.
  • Steve, are you saying that the ACLU has an obligation to pursue justice in every speech fight or none at all?
  • Steve, are you saying that the ACLU has an obligation to pursue justice in every speech fight or none at all?
    No, but focusing on small easy to win cases while ignoring the larger injustices makes them look more like bullies than heros.

FWIW, this is not a speech fight as the filmmaker did violate the terms of his probation, as I stated before. He was perfectly within his rights to make the film so long as he didn't use a computer to do so, didn't post it to the internet, and didn't use an alias to claim ownership of said film. This is almost akin to someone making a film about bank robbery by actually robbing a bank. The crime isn't in making the film (protected speech), but in robbing the bank during the course of making the film.
  • That's one thing, but why did the DOJ come after him? Why not just local police?
  • edited November 2012
    That's one thing, but why did the DOJ come after him? Why not just local police?
    He was on probation for a federal crime, namely bank fraud.
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • edited November 2012
    That's one thing, but why did the DOJ come after him? Why not just local police?
    Because he violated federal anti-fraud laws and his probation was granted via the federal courts, so he was under the jurisdiction of the DOJ and not the local police.

Edit: Ninja'd by 2bfree.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
    No, but focusing on small easy to win cases while ignoring the larger injustices makes them look more like bullies than heros.

Yeah, they should ignore fights they can win. I'm with you 100 perc... oh, no.