This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Are you a man enough dude, or an awesome enough woman to uphold your honour in the anime opener quiz and guess what shows of the past 20 years these snippets of music are from? Are you up for the challenge? Then go and do your best, and don't cheat, for here is my lacklustre result that also displays all the answers. FML on time running out on the last keystrokes for #28.

If you're not up to the task, I have an entirely different, slightly NSFW (it's seriously dildos though) livetweet story.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I haven't watched it yet, but the first video of Tropes vs Women in Video Games is out:
    I don't watch anything that disables both ratings and comments. How confident can they be in their position if they preemptively insulate themselves from feedback and criticism?
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah, nothing like threats and video games about beating you up to show criticism worth reading.

I recall Churba having a good argument about why they disabled those things. I don't blame Anita whatsoever. If that is your reasoning for not at least giving it a go, it's a shame.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Yeah, nothing like threats and video games about beating you up to show criticism worth reading.
    That is not a threat, that is white noise that anyone on the internet should learn to filter out.

What I find most ironic about Ms. Sarkeesian is that while she rails against the trope of damsel in distress, most of her support is garnered by her portrayal of the damsel. She complained about people on the internet being mean to her (gasp!). And in the space of a few hours the white knights charged in to "rescue" her with their wallets.
  • What I find most ironic about Ms. Sarkeesian is that while she rails against the trope of damsel in distress, most of her support is garnered by her portrayal of the damsel. She complained about people on the internet being mean to her (gasp!). And in the space of a few hours the white knights charged in to "rescue" her with their wallets.
  • Are you a man enough dude, or an awesome enough woman to uphold your honour in the anime opener quiz and guess what shows of the past 20 years these snippets of music are from? Are you up for the challenge? Then go and do your best, and don't cheat, for here is my lacklustre result that also displays all the answers. FML on time running out on the last keystrokes for #28.
    Fixed the link. Also your score was lot better than my ten out of half a million. I haven't even heard of half of the stuff on that list, even less seen their openings. Though there were few times when I went "I know this show, but I can't remember it's name" and some of "I know I've heard this, but I can't associate it with any show".

• What I find most ironic about Ms. Sarkeesian is that while she rails against the trope of damsel in distress, most of her support is garnered by her portrayal of the damsel. She complained about people on the internet being mean to her (gasp!). And in the space of a few hours the white knights charged in to "rescue" her with their wallets.
    Personally, I pitched in $5 just to spite the MRA brigade. All the butthurt comments I'm seeing elsewhere are making my investment more than worthwhile.
  • edited March 2013
    I recall Churba having a good argument about why they disabled those things.
    If I did, I don't recall it at all. Not to say I didn't, but it might have been someone else, I normally would remember having at least some opinion on the topic.

I'll be honest - it's not bad, it's just...well, I expected more, really. The blamed the delays on expanding the scope and production quality of the project, but the production quality is identical to her other videos, though the intro was well done. Can't really gauge the scope of an entire project from a single video, and the first one at that.

Her points are valid, but nothing new or interesting, she's talking about what's already been talked to death and beyond. It's just bland, really. Boring and adding nothing new to the discussion other than Sarkeesian herself, and nothing of independent value. For all the hype about how she's meant to be a hot-shit academic on the subject, and she's done so much work and all the other things we've heard so far, frankly, I think it's a particularly weak debut.

Though, to be fair, it's the first in a series. It has a lot of chances to significantly improve and expand ahead of it. So, I'll wait on really giving it serious attention and thought till at the least she's got a few more videos out, or more likely until she's finished the series.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah, nothing like threats and video games about beating you up to show criticism worth reading.
    That is not a threat, that is white noise that anyone on the internet should learn to filter out.
    http://i.imgur.com/h0Nr2JD.jpg

Yes. That's white noise.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited March 2013
    、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``ヽ`、、

This was saved as my draft for some reason
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • edited March 2013
    Fixed the link. Also your score was lot better than my ten out of half a million. I haven't even heard of half of the stuff on that list, even less seen their openings. Though there were few times when I went "I know this show, but I can't remember it's name" and some of "I know I've heard this, but I can't associate it with any show".
    A fucking quotemark. Stupid forum won't let me fix it sadly. In the same vein it randomly makes a fucking URL out of a number, because that makes fucking sense. But auto-fixing an improperly closed value, fuck that, too much work.

But yeah, I've had the same response to several clips as well that I couldn't place, even though I've heard of the show, and have heard the song. Just no association due to not having watched it fully. It's pretty cool though.
    、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``ヽ`、、
    UMBRELLA-SAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Personally, I don't mind Saarkesian. I think she's a cookie cutter liberal with the individuality of a soldier ant, but living in Massachusetts, I've gotten used to that. I don't get annoyed until people treat her like a silenced messiah. So the Internet hate machine chose her one week and a lot of people said mean things. Whatever. If she can't deal with crazies, she should find a safer medium. It's going to take a little bit more than some harsh tweets to get me to rally behind someone the way you all do. Call me when the bigots start trying to kill her within her own home.

As for her content outside of the initial kickstarter press (which admittedly made me sour around the whole thing), meh. It's standard fair internet literary analysis. It's not really in depth or in detail enough for me. I much prefer Game Theory.
  • Kotaku makes an argument that they will never remove ad-blockers. The problem? They think by adhering to the public's demand that people will turn it off.
  • edited March 2013

Yes. That's white noise.
    Dude. Seriously. Do. Not. Engage. You won't accomplish anything, and it'll only make you mad.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • That is not a threat, that is white noise that anyone on the internet should learn to filter out.

Yes. That's white noise.
    Dude. Seriously. Do. Not. Engage. You won't accomplish anything, and it'll only make you mad.
    Internet comments: Not even once.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shut-up/oklfoejikkmejobodofaimigojomlfim?hl=en
  • edited March 2013
    I don't mind Sarkeesian's videos. I have donated to the Kickstarter because I don't think anybodies opinion should be suppressed. Irony of course is that she engages in the same kind of suppression by either disabling or pre-moderating her youtube comments. That is of course with the exemption of her Kickstarter video which appears to have been deliberately unmoderated to expose the vileness of the attacks she received and thus raise the sympathy for her. However, that is also kind of how open discourse should work, yet she routinely refuses to participate in it.

I also think she is somewhat of a surface swimmer, only engaging or presenting the most superficial opinion or observation and not thoroughly analyzing the subject matter at hand. And I don't think that is because of lack of analytical ability, but because she seeks to arrive at a certain observation or confirmation of her first impression and then simply stops. In other words, I think she lets confirmation bias get the best of her.

Anyway, even if her "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" won't be the most nuanced or deepest take on this societal problem, there is at least a chance it will be the most presentable one and at least raise some awareness.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on

• I'll be honest - it's not bad, it's just...well, I expected more, really. The blamed the delays on expanding the scope and production quality of the project, but the production quality is identical to her other videos, though the intro was well done. Can't really gauge the scope of an entire project from a single video, and the first one at that...
    My girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed the video. Not every video on every topic has to be aimed at either hardcore gamers, hardcore feminists, or hardcore video producers. Thanks to the kickstarter, we get to see the video series for free!
  • edited March 2013
    Oh, I'm not necessarily saying it's badly done, or unenjoyable - it's just that with all the hype about Sarkeesian's qualifications, and how she's going to bring something new to critiquing feminisim in video games, how she's really going to show us some new and massive issues with games which do not have exposure, and yadda yadda yadda that we've heard over the last six to eight months, I was expecting something new, not a re-hash of the same thing we've been hearing for years, and the same thing that Sarkeesian has already covered across her other videos about other media. While it's maybe a too harsh to judge it as such at this time, if this video is an indication of the overall series, then basically Sarkeesian has over-promised and under-delivered, and I really, really hope that I'm proven wrong on this point.

Or, to boil it down to 25 words or less - It wasn't bad, it just doesn't come close to living up to the hype it's been given. But, it can definitely improve from here.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That is strange to me, because I was not aware of any such promises being made or ambitions being touted about that video series. I do not know any of this hype you are talking about, Churba. Nor was that in the original video for her Kickstarter project.

The only thing I do know is that she had to deal with a ton of hatemail after the Kickstarter project went online. It seems to me the hype was created by her backers as an over-reaction counter to the hate she received.
  • Okay, considering I don't know anything about the hype or the expectations or the other issues (except hearing a few things here and there) I was satisfied with the video. It's the best presentation of the issue I've seen so far, and will probably do its job.
  • edited March 2013
    That is strange to me, because I was not aware of any such promises being made or ambitions being touted about that video series. I do not know any of this hype you are talking about, Churba. Nor was that in the original video for her Kickstarter project.
    All the hype I heard was one of two things - "Oh yeah, well look at her qualifications, she's the most qualified person for this." She's got a Masters in communication, yeah, and that's been publically available information from the start. She's spoken of it herself, even.

All the other hype about how it's bigger and better than anything else ever has all been "Directly from the kickstarter backer updates", whenever I ask for a source - and I don't have access to those, so make of that what you will. You should have access to them, though, so you can gauge the truth of these statements better than I can at this time.

She certainly spoke herself about having a higher quality project and expanding the scale and scope of the project on multiple occasions - but unless she steps it up in future videos(far from unlikely, of course) then she's not going to deliver on the first part of that, this is identical in quality to her previous work, and barring the vast factual inaccuracies of her pilot episode(which, in all honesty, shouldn't have been present in the first place), the quality isn't significantly better. As for scale and scope(which I'd love an explanation for, since she never actually made it that clear regarding what the scope and scale of the project was in the first place), it's hard to judge from a single video, we'll have to see how later episodes go.

I'm just saying, I expected more, even excluding statements from anyone but Sarkeesian herself. I'm not saying it's bad, nor am I saying it's technically weak or factually incorrect. I'm saying that for what I heard from both the community with access to more information than I had or have, and from the person herself, my response to the first video of the series is a resounding "Meh", and I hope that subsequent videos improve from what we have so far.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't mind Sarkeesian's videos. I have donated to the Kickstarter because I don't think anybodies opinion should be suppressed. Irony of course is that she engages in the same kind of suppression by either disabling or pre-moderating her youtube comments. That is of course with the exemption of her Kickstarter video which appears to have been deliberately unmoderated to expose the vileness of the attacks she received and thus raise the sympathy for her. However, that is also kind of how open discourse should work, yet she routinely refuses to participate in it.
    Nobody has any sort of obligation to allow YouTube comments. What happens in YouTube comments is not "discourse," it's nothing but garbage. If she chose to forgo YouTube entirely and host it on her own website, she probably wouldn't even add a comments section. Would that be suppression too?
  • I installed a Firefox plugin that makes YouTube comments disappear, and my life has improved measurably since.
  • I don't mind Sarkeesian's videos. I have donated to the Kickstarter because I don't think anybodies opinion should be suppressed. Irony of course is that she engages in the same kind of suppression by either disabling or pre-moderating her youtube comments. That is of course with the exemption of her Kickstarter video which appears to have been deliberately unmoderated to expose the vileness of the attacks she received and thus raise the sympathy for her. However, that is also kind of how open discourse should work, yet she routinely refuses to participate in it.
    Nobody has any sort of obligation to allow YouTube comments. What happens in YouTube comments is not "discourse," it's nothing but garbage. If she chose to forgo YouTube entirely and host it on her own website, she probably wouldn't even add a comments section. Would that be suppression too?
    I actually don't get why she's doing this via YouTube instead of Blip. Blip doesn't have quality comments, but I've never felt like I was on /b/ while reading them, which is more than I can say about YouTube. If what she's trying to do is encourage discourse, shouldn't she find a medium that will do that?
  • I actually don't get why she's doing this via YouTube instead of Blip. Blip doesn't have quality comments, but I've never felt like I was on /b/ while reading them, which is more than I can say about YouTube. If what she's trying to do is encourage discourse, shouldn't she find a medium that will do that?
    Blip has actually changed things. You can't just register an account and upload a video.
    http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=467
  • The video was OK, but it was just her kinda stating the obvious. Also, besides the Mario/Zelda series, pretty much every game was pre-1995. Doesn't that say something about this particular trope?
  • The video was OK, but it was just her kinda stating the obvious. Also, besides the Mario/Zelda series, pretty much every game was pre-1995. Doesn't that say something about this particular trope?
    In the end she said that the next episode will look at the trope in mode modern games.

• I think my favorite part of the entire thing is that the guy who ran the Tropes vs. Men kickstarter just took the money and ran with it.

GOOD JOB, YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN.
    Since it's the first in the series, it was just laying the groundwork for the rest.

I found the video boring, not really engaging, it had some nice tidbits of little trivia, but aside from that, I find her bland. It doesn't help the fact that I kinda hate feminists as well, but that is due to having lots of bad encounters with extreme ones when I was in college.
  • Ah Jezebel, you beautiful beast, you never let me down. This article pretty much boils down the problem with feminism today, and why I really can't be bothered.