This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Buy it blind. Don't wait. Buy it now.
    How did you know I'm easily manipulated?
  • You wouldn't ask otherwise. ;-)
  • Tournament tomorrow. The chances of me winning are still very low. My goal is just to get more than 10 prestige points. I got 10 points the last two tournaments. My skill has definitely increased. If I get 11 (possible with a draw) or 12, I will be pleased. Less than 10 will be not good.
  • Tournament tomorrow. The chances of me winning are still very low. My goal is just to get more than 10 prestige points. I got 10 points the last two tournaments. My skill has definitely increased. If I get 11 (possible with a draw) or 12, I will be pleased. Less than 10 will be not good.
    Good luck.
    Be cool to see a tournament report.

• edited March 2013
    I got 11 prestige points at the tournament. I achieved my goal of breaking my previous record of 10.

First game was against Jared, who is one of the best players. I was very lucky to win as runner and take two prestige points.

Second game against the meetup/tournament organizer. Also a very dangerous opponent, also won as runner, two more points.

Third game against Adam, who is pretty much the same speed as I am. We have played many times in the past at the meetup and also the first tournament I went to. We tied exactly, each getting 3 points.

In the fourth game I faced Lech, who smoked me the one time we played at the meetup. I lost running, but scored four points. When he ran I pulled off a beautiful ghost branch/scorched earth and won when we both had 0 points. That means four prestige for me, total of 11!

Really, I just had an incredibly tough schedule. Drawing Jared in the randomly seeded first round was rough. It doesn't help that the whole community here is very strong, so really any schedule is difficult. Still, I think I'm in the top 50% of players. My game has definitely stepped up, but so has everyone else's. Can't wait for new cards.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you want to see the games being played here in NYC a lot of people have been uploading them to YouTube with or without commentary. At the tournament you can kind of hear my voice in the background sometimes.

• Is anyone here besides Scott super interested in competing in their regionals? I had some success in regionals playing Magic so this is very appealing. Does anyone want ot step up their game in terms of sharing info/strats/deck lists/ the like? I'm all for it, especially since I've gotten a few games under my belt.
  • Is anyone here besides Scott super interested in competing in their regionals? I had some success in regionals playing Magic so this is very appealing. Does anyone want ot step up their game in terms of sharing info/strats/deck lists/ the like? I'm all for it, especially since I've gotten a few games under my belt.
    There's a regional tournament in NYC in June I think. I'll probably play in it, but I don't have much hope of winning. There are some really strong players here.

• I don't know if I'd compete this year. Perhaps next year. I really haven't had much time to play. Perhaps after PAX I can get more serious and devote more time. Jeremy won't be as occupied with his game and we can trek out to the semi-local events.

From what I understand the Seattle crowd is pretty goddamn pro.
  • I don't know if I'd compete this year. Perhaps next year. I really haven't had much time to play. Perhaps after PAX I can get more serious and devote more time. Jeremy won't be as occupied with his game and we can trek out to the semi-local events.

From what I understand the Seattle crowd is pretty goddamn pro.
    I don't understand this logic of not wanting to compete when skills are low. People show up to our tournaments who just got the game and barely read the rulebook. They have a great time, even though they lose horribly. It's swiss, so you still get to play even if you get hosed.
  • I have no problem playing against pros, I just get a little intimidated. I honestly have been busy as well as Jeremy so we haven't been able to go.

I want to play more since I invested some monies into this mofo.
  • I have no problem playing against pros, I just get a little intimidated. I honestly have been busy as well as Jeremy so we haven't been able to go.

I want to play more since I invested some monies into this mofo.
    There will be an opportunity to do that very soon I think.
  • Oh, I know this. I went through our 3rd core box to make sure we had all the extras to make sure we had 3 of each.

I'm totally down to playing tons of Netrunner this week.
  • Oh, I know this. I went through our 3rd core box to make sure we had all the extras to make sure we had 3 of each.

I'm totally down to playing tons of Netrunner this week.
    You bought a third box? Uh oh, hardcore.
  • Yeah, a while ago. We're still a bit limited on deck making. Can't really make a second deck if you want those limited cards in that deck that you're already using in your original deck.

I may make a Criminal deck. Those cards look like fun.
  • Yeah, a while ago. We're still a bit limited on deck making. Can't really make a second deck if you want those limited cards in that deck that you're already using in your original deck.

I may make a Criminal deck. Those cards look like fun.
    Take some blank cards or M:TG lands and write "Scorched Earth" on them. THen put them in a sleeve. When you switch decks, just switch the cards back and forth or play with the fake ones if the opponent doesn't care.

Everyone here plays with fake cards in sleeves and then just makes sure not to use them in the tournament.
  • I have a bit of a meta choice to make. Stay in "solitude" with the three blokes who I've been playing and discussing with or to go to the local league in an attempt to learn the meta. Hrmm...
  • I only HAVE those three blokes. No league here in New Zealand!
    Give it a go! It's such a great game.
  • edited March 2013
    A Study in Static unboxing and commentary.

Post edited by Shaun on
  • edited March 2013
    I played Netrunner at PAX East and immediately bought a copy. I will be looking for opponents if I can't find anyone local who plays.
    Post edited by pence on
  • So having bought and played this a few times at PAX, it's pretty much the game for me, lately. Once you get past explaining the asymetric gameplay and getting people to wrap their head-holes around that, people get the game pretty fast.
  • Hey Scott, is the NYC group open to newbies or is it only for more experienced / tournament-level players? I wasn't able to play it at PAX, but I think I'm going to jump in anyway and buy a set, since videos I've seen of it are hitting all my gaming buttons.
  • Hey Scott, is the NYC group open to newbies or is it only for more experienced / tournament-level players? I wasn't able to play it at PAX, but I think I'm going to jump in anyway and buy a set, since videos I've seen of it are hitting all my gaming buttons.
    It's definitely open to newbies, but most of the people there are really good. Imagine joining a game of Counter-Strike where half the players are pro and headshot you all the time, but are nice about it. They want you to keep coming and playing, but aren't going to let you win.

That said, I am in the middle of the pack. There are still some people below me, and you could have a small chance to beat some of them while you are learning. If you show up, someone will definitely teach you how to play.

What you should worry about more than skills are cards. That means at least two, if not three, core sets and one of every expansion. Someone will gladly teach you with their own cards, but you won't beat anybody without your own. Playing a living game like this is an investment of time and money. If you don't invest in it and play a lot, it's really not worth playing at all. If people just want to play it casually and occasionally, like a board game, just get one core set and play against your friends using only the starter decks.

http://www.meetup.com/Netrunner-NYC/
  • Alright, that's pretty much what I figured, skill-wise. I'm going to get a set and run some games with my roommates to get a bit of a feel for it, then start going to the meetup and build out decks once I know what I need.

Also, that's pretty much the situation any time I play CS with clan people. ;-)
  • Hopefully Jeremy will want to play more now since he's got most of his own game fine tuned. I finished making changes to my Shaper and Jinteki deck. Time to test them out.
  • Throwing together some decks with my base set; the current plan is to make an Anarch deck (or at least splash for Wyldside, those cards!), but I'm undecided on corp since I haven't played anything but Jinteki.
  • My suggestion is play a game or two with all of them and then see which way you prefer to play. That goes for all the different factions.
  • On a side note, the more I talk and read and think about the 3 Runner games I've played, I'm beginning to suspect Aesops Pawnshop is fairly underrated.
  • I feel a FRC Netrunner cam tournament brewing...

Sometime... Down the road.