This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• I learned a new word.

Pharaonic adj.
    1. Of or pertaining to a Pharaoh
    2. Impressively large or luxurious
    3. Tyrannical or brutally oppressive

This must be a metal band.
  • edited August 2014
    What the fuck guys. New MaSu.

How did I not know about this. Listening right now.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • So guys, I need your advice.

I am putting together a playlist of danceable metal songs and need some recommendations to fill out the list. Here is the unpruned, unsorted list so far, so you can see what I'm looking for.

There's a certain kind of beat to all these songs that I lack the musical knowledge to describe. Can anyone find me more like that? Heavier sounds are welcome, as are tongue-in-cheek things (hence Oops, I Did It Again.)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Pruning is for trees; lists get filtered.
  • So guys, I need your advice.

I am putting together a playlist of danceable metal songs and need some recommendations to fill out the list. Here is the unpruned, unsorted list so far, so you can see what I'm looking for.

There's a certain kind of beat to all these songs that I lack the musical knowledge to describe. Can anyone find me more like that? Heavier sounds are welcome, as are tongue-in-cheek things (hence Oops, I Did It Again.)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Well, pretty much all folk metal is designed to be danceable to some extent. Y'know, drink lots and dance like an idiot. To that end, more Korpiklaani and Finntroll can't hurt.

I've seen lots of people dancing at Alestorm shows.

But for the most part, pretty much anything out of Finland that has a folk influence will probably have a dance element.

------------------------------

On an unrelated note, here's some horrifically undanceable hate-filled music from Canada. You probably won't like it.

• edited September 2014
    I mentioned Recluse not too long ago - the current project of Phil McSorley, formerly of Cobalt (well, sort of currently of Cobalt - he announced that he was leaving the band, and then a month later announced that he and Erik Wunder were working on a new Cobalt album).

The full album is out, though there are only 250 copies of it and they're all vinyl. Good luck getting it. If you do have it, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Anyhow, the LP has better production than what I first posted. It's far more ferocious than I had initially thought. This dude really fucking hates people.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Babymetal is Japan's version of Dethklok.
  • Andrew said:

Babymetal is Japan's version of Dethklok.

Dethklok is better-composed than Babymetal.

Meanwhile, I'm over here catching up on 2014's top albums, filling my ears with hate and pretention. Also fat fat heavy riffs:

• edited September 2014
    I actually listen to the second Dethklok album somewhat frequently. I haven't listened to any past that though and the first one is a bit too campy.

Amended: Dethalbum III is also pretty good from the two songs I've heard.
    Post edited by MATATAT on

• New YOB is currently melting my face off.
  • edited September 2014
    Also this:

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Oh hey Yob. I forgot about them. I got caught up with Profound Lore's new releases and forgot they jumped labels.
  • Why aren't you listening to Pallbearer? I mean really.

• FUCK YES CRANK IT
  • edited October 2014
    I also just realized that Scott's twin fronts Baroness.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • hahahaha oh my god.

Now Scott needs to grow a beard.
  • Andrew said:

Cloudkicker LIVE

I mean, if R&S wanted to get Ben Sharp for an episode, that would probably make a pretty good Thursday.
  • That gig was one of the bests I've ever attended, the drummer of Mastodon was in the crowd, he's also pretty cool.
  • I really like that left-handed basser.
  • Thantifaxath is some of the most bleak and unsettling music I've ever heard, bar none.

• Also, Devin Townsends' Z2 is out today:

http://open.spotify.com/album/2iYw6R8T4DycaeS3LUz575

If you don't know, it's a double album - the first 12 tracks are the new Devin Townsend Project album Sky Blue, and the last 11 are Z2.

And if you don't know who Devin Townsend is, get the fuck off my Internet.
  • Also, Devin Townsends' Z2 is out today:

If you don't know, it's a double album - the first 12 tracks are the new Devin Townsend Project album Sky Blue, and the last 11 are Z2.

Aaaaand I'm reinstalling Spotify right now.
  • Apreche said:

Also, Devin Townsends' Z2 is out today:

Aaaaand I'm reinstalling Spotify right now.
    Or maybe I'll just buy it with money on Amazon MP3 store. Unthinkable!
  • I've been paying the $10/month for the full Spotify package for a couple of years now. Highly recommended.

And yes, there's plenty of obscure/underground/foreign things there. I can speak to metal specifically - not sure about electronic music or other categories, but the metal selection is excellent.
  • I use Spotify literally every day. Their electronic music selection is pretty decent. Occasionally I can't find something I am looking for but generally you can find what you're looking for.
  • I paid for Spotify in the past, but I stopped. These days I am primarily using Amazon Prime music. It's $25 per year to upload every MP3 I possess into the cloud and play them whenever and wherever. The streaming offering they just added is not very good, yet...
  • Yeah, I uploaded my MP3 collection to Google Music ages ago, and that's what I use for playing my archived collection. The Google Music app is a huge slow piece of shit, though, and I sort of hate it a lot.

Spotify just works nicely, but there's no cloud storage option for local MP3's yet.
  • A lot of my mp3 collection is available on Spotify so it doesn't really bother me. There are still occasionally things that aren't available, especially rap mixtapes because of rights issues, but its generally decent. My coworker uses Google Music pretty frequently because I guess it has a little more obscure metal bands on it than Spotify does and also has some more obscure EDM stuff as well but Spotify apparently has some stuff Google Music doesn't too so its sorta like one or the other.