This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• Bought the $50 tier on the first day, I'm so glad these guys went this route, they are pretty fucking awesome.
  • I realized something today. I really can't get into BTBAM when it comes to anything other than Colors. Their albums seem far too chaotic, with a lot of good stuff, but put together in such a haphazard way. It just doesn't flow well for me.
  • I realized something today. I really can't get into BTBAM when it comes to anything other than Colors. Their albums seem far too chaotic, with a lot of good stuff, but put together in such a haphazard way. It just doesn't flow well for me.
    Dude, "Swim to the Moon" is beautiful. I do agree that their stuff tends to be a bit stream-of-consciousness, but they wrap it up decently

I'm also a fan of musical masturbation, so YMMV.

• Swim to the moon is amazing, I also really like "Disease, Injury, Madness". The riff that that song ends with is awesome. It all sounds very calculated to me and not haphazard, but that is a matter of perspective I suppose.
    Dude, "Swim to the Moon" is beautiful. I do agree that their stuff tends to be a bit stream-of-consciousness, but they wrap it up decently

That is one exception I kind of forgot about. I do find stream-of-consciousness music interesting to listen to. I find I feel like I'm becoming more educated as a listener when I listen to more progressive/technical music, but I just don't get the same kind of enjoyment out of it as I do something more structured and melodic. That and I really don't think Tommy is a good vocalist.

• Well, when you have things such as Behold...The Arctopus in perspective, BtBaM becomes really organized.

I would also like to go on record that I enjoy this.
  • edited January 2013
    (Sorry for double post) another example being Spiral Architect.

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I've always thought Behold...The Arctopus was always terrible song writers in all honesty. Maybe I'm just getting too old for all these wacky guitar wanking bands heh.

That is one exception I kind of forgot about. I do find stream-of-consciousness music interesting to listen to. I find I feel like I'm becoming more educated as a listener when I listen to more progressive/technical music, but I just don't get the same kind of enjoyment out of it as I do something more structured and melodic. That and I really don't think Tommy is a good vocalist.

I'm relieved to find someone that feels the same way. I can really appreciate BTBAM, and I do really like Colors, but on the whole I just can't dig a lot of their music for that reason. Same with a lot of progressive bands. I do appreciate it and like it to an extent, but, for example, I love the melodic parts of Dream Theater songs more than the technical parts.

• Matt Garstka has the spark of the divine.

• I'm 12, what the fuck are my ears listening to?

• This 'metal' thread is missing songs about metal. Let me fix that for you.
  • The new Ghost album is currently blowing my face off. Fucking love this band.
  • The new Ghost album is currently blowing my face off. Fucking love this band.
    YEP. Love this album. My favorite track right now is either Year Zero or Ghuleh / Zombie Queen.
  • I love the surf rock vibe of Zombie Queen, it's such a great curveball. Although their cover of I'm a Marionette in the special edition is probably my favorite thing they've done.

• edited April 2013
  • TesseracT's new album is on YouTube, holy shit it's so good.

• http://pitchfork.com/advance/108-one-of-us-is-the-killer/

Dillinger's new album is also up for streaming, I'm usually not into them, but I'm really digging this album so far.
  • edited May 2013
    This was kind of disappointing. Not that I could do better.

Post edited by Starfox on
  • What the heck. They just played electric guitar over the original track :P
  • Started listening to Death Magnetic again. Damn, this really is a good album. 5 years later and it's still solid.

So what's everyone else listening to/looking forward to? I'm way behind the curve, and I'm looking for meaty new things to enjoy.

Obviously, I am hella excited for the new Amarth album. Spotify introduced me to this band called Fortíð, a pretty neat Viking/black band originally from Iceland, now based in Norway. Very mythological. Cool stuff.
  • Yeah, I really like Death Magnetic. Wikipedia says they're recording their next studio album - sounds like it'll come out next year and it'll be "a continuation of Death Magnetic."

Haven't been listening to very much in the way of new metal music lately, aside from the new Ghost, which is incredible.
  • 5 years later
    Wait, what? No kidding, 5 years old. Guess I've been sufficiently distracted by MaSu.
  • So far, I'm only looking forward to the new Sabbath, new Protest the Hero and the new Dream Theater albums, all which are coming out within a summer time frame.
  • edited June 2013
    New Sabbath leaked, holy shit is it better than I expected.